Software
Houzz Logo Print
conniefreiberg

curb appeal

12 years ago
This is a weekend house near the lake but the colors don't give me that relaxed weekend fun vibe. Any suggestions for making the house more fun but not tacky?

Comments (23)

  • 12 years ago
    Paint the door yellow?
  • 12 years ago
    Cute place! There are a couple of different looks that would suit your cottage. You could go with a cabin vibe and do a rustic brown/red, or you could do a beachy look with pastels and white. I think it depends on the setting and geography of your place. Either way, I would remove the trees from in front of the windows. This will give you more natural light.
    Connie Freiberg thanked butlera
  • 12 years ago
    I absolutely see the door yellow! And yes, remove the bushes. Must be blocking light into the house. From there you can add some colorful annuals. A fun new doormat and you are on your way!
  • 12 years ago
    Do I keep the blue Grey with the yellow door?
  • 12 years ago
    I think that the body color is great. Very "lakey". It will look great with yellow. And yes, mfwolfe, I, too, am all about transplanting and saving trees. Get as much rootball as possible and water in REALLY well.
    Connie Freiberg thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Connie, I would keep the house the same color. Maybe you could find or make a cute wreath in blue and yellow flowers or something "lakey." Put out a door mat in those colors too, and maybe paint some large house numbers with the same yellow and put those on the house too. Another option would be teal or turquoise for the door. Definitely remove the evergreens, plant some yellow day lilies, they're perennials, and very easy to grow if you have some sun there.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    What an adorable house! Here's my suggestions for fun coastal (waterfront) colors!

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Christi, what is the color of the house with the yellow door. Everyone seems to br liking the idea of the yellow door.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    We Love the suggestion from Connie Freiberg with the Yellow and white Door.
    Is very friendly and invite you in.
  • 12 years ago
    Or this?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    We think the one with the light Yellow door is softer and more welcoming,
    but obviously everything goes as the owner preferences.

    J Design Group, Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida.
    http://www.JDesignGroup.com
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi Connie -- The exterior paint color for the house with the yellow door looks like Sherwin Williams Gray Screen SW7071 or North Star SW6246.

    The yellow door appears to be Sherwin Williams Butter Up SW6681 or Lantern Light SW 6687.

    I'm glad the yellow door is getting a thumbs up! I love it! :)

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    Step one complete. yellow door. I like it. hesitating on the trees, that front room is actually a bedroom. I know, weird but think like a motel room. Now I'm stumped on the lights. One is broken and I think they are boring. suggestions?
  • 12 years ago
    how bout these
    Quoizel OAS8406Z Oasis Transitional Outdoor Wall Sconce · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    or these
    Sea Gull Lighting 8883-08 Jamestowne Rust Patina Outdoor Wall Sconce · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    The cedars are over grown you could move them from where they are to give the windows a better view . If you could paint the house giving it this sort of finish and add a bit of landscape close by , a new mail box and replace the missing or burned out light bulb .
    Trestlewood Outdoor · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Flowering bushes away from the house would give you the privacy for the front bedroom while providing you with the fun welcoming look you want. Something that doesn't need to be pruned like a Rose of Sharon could be fun. Dark blue makes me think nautical, maybe some nautical lantern/lights would look good. Then you can do nautical or boating accents if you like.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    The yellow door looks great! Are you planning to change the exterior color too? The cedar trees would look really nice trimmed down to square-shaped manicured hedges beneath the windows. Cedar trees make beautiful hedges. Even though the bedroom is in front, you can still maintain privacy with window coverings, but it might be nice to let some light in too.

    Since this is a weekend cottage near the lake, I think rustic lanterns would add charm.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    Connie Freiberg thanked Thos. Baker
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    A new mailbox would also add charm to the front porch -- something unique to go with whatever you choose for your new lighting fixtures. Here's some fun ideas:

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Too bad that I didn't have my camera with me this morning :( we drove by a home similar to yours with same roof colour too ,the house was painted in a tan colour and had a white door and window it looked very pretty with Hosta planted on the side too .
    Benjamin Moore Cowboy Boots 1015 Paint · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I agree you need to make those cedar trees into a hedge below the window the one on the far right could be left if you wanted something tall there.
  • 12 years ago
    As others have already said:
    1. The scrubs need to be transplanted since they are cramped where they are now. While they provide privacy they are much too tall/big for the space they occupy.
    2. A flowering bush like Rose of Sharon or perennials such as day lilies (or daisies and irises) are easy/casual/pretty. Window boxes would be cute, but only if you're there to water the plants in them! (Fake flowers are a pet peeve of mine).
    Connie Freiberg thanked Madeline Small