Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandydigsdesign

What's wrong with this mantel shelf???

Sandra L
9 years ago
Well, nothing, according to my husband. But that's what they always say! I am ready to invest in a new mantel shelf for this fireplace because I have always felt that this mantel shelf is too narrow. Hubby disagrees. I feel as if the mantel shelf should extend flush with the beams to the sides and none of that green wall should be showing. Also, the rest of our space with vaulted ceilings and hard angles, is more modern and this shape mantel looks too traditional. Hoping some pros will comment and settle this debate. Oh, and the TV is on an arm and is not centered because I had just pushed it back, so don't bother to let me know that! I am going to put some type of textured paper on the darker green wall soon, still haven't decided what. So feel free to comment on decor, also, but not TV because that has to stay unfortunately. Thanks in advance for those taking the time to post.

Comments (13)

• tulip999
    9 years ago
    I agree that it not very well designed...the mantel is not integrated with the rest of the design. At the very least, I think that I would paint those little green triangles the color of the mantel and the vertical beams.
    Sandra L thanked tulip999
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would take the mantel off (it is the wrong style and doesn’t fit properly). If you can find more of the tile, continue it up the wall…no mantle.
    The Bryant Back Bay · More Info
    Sandra L thanked JudyG Designs
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    9 years ago
    Is that green wall jutting out into the room farther than the fireplace surround? If so, lose the mantle. If not, a more contemporary rectangular prism is the way to go--like a long box of spaghetti. The RELAX sign cheapens everything about that dramatic fireplace, and the symmetrical/bookend-ish placement of your accessories is too contrived. Remove the white candlesticks and place both floor items (tool and bucket) on one side together.
    Sandra L thanked Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
  • Sandra L
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks so much for the input. I agree regarding the candlesticks. The green wall does extend out about three inches from the fireplace surround. It seems if I lose the mantel shelf, that step down to the fireplace surround will be awkward and unfinished looking. I appreciate so much the opinions because it is helping my husband understand. I had picked out a mantel that was very rectangular and ended flush with the side wood trim and I still think that may be better than no mantel, although now the debate is how many inches high should that mantel be . . in other words the face of it. Again, I am grateful for your input.
  • Sandra L
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    PS, I would have loved to do the tile to the ceiling but was not in the budget. This fireplace was originally all slump stone with a huge, raised hearth and very bulky. We removed the slump stone and bought the tile from a friend who was doing a remodel and had some left over. The mantel was an ebay deal that my husband got and I knew was wrong from the start. I brought home wall paper tonight, thinking of doing a textured wallpaper up that wall. Now you have me wondering if we need the mantel and I am unsure how that three inch difference in the wall depth would look without it.
  • PRO
    Cocoweb
    9 years ago
    This can definitely use a picture light like this one!
  • 21153cc
    9 years ago
    I think the columns make it appear that it is all one space. A modern mantle say a rectangular shape but the key I think is to have the new mantle go from the end edge of each column. That way you will have a separation of the fireplace below and TV space above.
    Sandra L thanked 21153cc
  • PRO
    Omega Stone Mantels
    6 years ago

just need a better integration. Custom shelve or a full wrap arround

• Ann Orr
    6 years ago
    Can you take a few more shots to show how wide the space is. It looks pretty cramped. That being said I feel either no mantel or a nice simple one would work. Lose the candles and the relax decor piece, too cluttered and too many things going on.
  • rocketjcat
    6 years ago
    Old post from 2014. I wonder who prevailed?
  • Sandra L
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I had to laugh when I saw the recent comments. This is a very old post. I prevailed. We had a custom made new mantel. We have since sold the house, so I had to scour through old pictures but found this one. I was still too cluttered!! (Although this angle makes the things on the mantel seem much closer together and to the television than they actually were). Thanks again for answering the questions. It did help convince my husband that the old mantel was not the right size. . .
  • PRO
    Omega Stone Mantels
    6 years ago

look good!