Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angiem12

Help with curb appeal

angiem12
9 years ago
I need some serious help with the our cub appeal! We love our house, but not the outside (especially not the red!). We can't rationalize changing the soffits, eves, etc just yet, so looking for other ways to make it look less boring, less red and give it some character so it is more welcoming and doesn't look like every other house on our block! Specific ideas/colours would be appreciated as I have no vision ;) Thanks so much!

Comments (11)

• orchardsgal
    9 years ago
    Start by changing light fixtures to larger Craftsman style in oiled bronze finish. Paint front door aqua or a sea glass green. Plant some compact shrubs to left of porch.
    angiem12 thanked orchardsgal
  • orchardsgal
    9 years ago
    Add dark brown rail to left side of porch and steps.
    angiem12 thanked orchardsgal
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    To each thier own...i personally like the red
    angiem12 thanked Curt D'Onofrio
  • ceelomoon
    9 years ago
    To me, there is an old time charm that goes with the red. Don't paint anything without looking at neighborhood colors. To me, it looks like the yard is waiting to come to life. The grass is flat and I think you could do wonders adding plants like Smoke Tree with dark red-purple hues as well as grasses. Think vertical. You could give the eye a way to wander up to the house. Add a hanging basket. Bonus, there is DEF something to be desired for the porch. If there is western sun to the right of the house there could be a bench for sitting in the evening, gazing at the sky, reading while your beloved in almost home. I understand if you simply don't like red but I think it could be brought to life and made lovable.
    angiem12 thanked ceelomoon
  • Dee Cee
    9 years ago
    I would widen the walkway to the porch and plant lavender all along the edge of it - beautiful welcoming fragrance for your guests and very elegant looking. I would also get a larger, more contemporary door number and contemporary lights.
    angiem12 thanked Dee Cee
  • Denita
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    katearoni and dac_65 are right about widening the walkway to your front door. Your current walkway cuts the front door in half visually. Also your steps look incomplete from here. Paint the landing and treads darker brown (see pic) and the risers white. If you don't have actual completed risers, please put them in :)

Increase the size of your light fixtures. Change the fixtures to ORB color. Paint the porch post white. Change the red fascia board and window trim to espresso. Paint the garage door the same color as your siding and the trim around the door in white.

Is your siding actually pink or is it in the beige family? What material is your siding? I am thinking the door would be more impactful in espresso color. Since you are leaving the soffits and eves red, you can tone down the red by painting the fascia espresso brown or a dark chocolate brown. Change the window trim to the same brown. The brown will help tame the red. You can tie in the red with a single urn type planter in red to the left of the front door. Or two planters, one on each side flanking the front door. This pic shows a black door, but it is the same concept with the completed steps, white risers, medium dark landing and treads and dark door. Pic 2 is the color for your front door
    Rustic Canyon New Home · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/29th-street-traditional-exterior-dc-metro-phvw-vp~1796145
    A good landscape plan is going to give you the most impact.
    angiem12 thanked Denita
  • angiem12
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What a wonderful website! Thank you for all the great suggestions! I am also happy to hear positives about the red, when we first moved in there was SO much red (back fence, deck,etc...) that I got it in my head we needed to get rid of it...now that we've toned it down a bit, maybe its time to embrace it!
    Denita- wonderful ideas! the siding is vinyl and beige:)
    If widening the walkway isn't an option in the near future, is there another way to help that problem for now, maybe planting some plants in the area where eventually we would widen it?
    So excited to get started !
  • sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I too like the red trim on your house. I would suggest you paint all the trim this shade of red and change the roof color to the off-white of the garage door. Window boxes would add charm and softness to the look as long as you could maintain the plants easily or use good-quality artificial flowers. I agree that widening the sidewalk and adding small perennials along the border of the sidewalk would add interest and color. You might also add some flowering and/or green leafy plants in large pots (painted black or white) to the landscape during the warm times of the year.

• PRO
    Reed Landscape Irrigation, LLC
    8 years ago

Plants, plants, plants! Excuse the squiggly lines on my drawing but I'm on my laptop right now (the circles indicate steppers to your backyard). Some subtle plantings and a feature tree along your walk will accentuate your entrance and curb appeal dramatically. Discuss some ideas with a reputable landscape contractor in your area or try a fun DIY project. Happy plantings!

• PRO