Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_35623

Need help to choose colors for door and shutters!

12 years ago
We purchased this home, have replace the roof, it is weatherwood, brown with a touch of dark gray. The beige siding is staying, along with the white trim.
Question 1. Change the color of the black shutters to? Blue? Gray? Brown?
Question 2. Our front door is solid, and I would paint the storm door the same color, so same as shutters? Different?
Any input is appreciated!

Comments (5)

  • 12 years ago
    Do not paint the storm door. I do jot think they are intended to be painted.

    I would go with more color for your shutters. Cranberry red I think would look great.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I love the color of your new roof: weatherwood. It is a very versatile color. I also like the beige siding, brick and white trim :)
    However, your shutters aren't sized right. They should be half the size of the window and appear functional, with hardware. Yes, it really does make a difference. For your style windows, you could go with either no shutters or bi-fold shutters if you don't have enough room next to the window for right-sized shutters.

    Here are a couple of examples for you below and a very brief but entertaining article, with photos showing you proper shutter size, placement and functionality.
    http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

    Exterior | trellis · More Info

    Classic Hyannisport Residence · More Info

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/2008-parade-of-homes-house-mediterranean-exterior-denver-phvw-vp~92432
  • 12 years ago
    I love the black shutters....it never goes out of style. I would do the door in a red.
  • 12 years ago
    Mich - I would like to repaint my front door. What material is your door? What paint/brush did you use?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    With that roof, siding and brick you have many options. Browns, blues, olive greens, reds, they all work. I always suggest painting the door a different color than the shutters so it becomes more of a focal point for the house, leading the eye to the entrance.