Software
Houzz Logo Print
aliya6982

Guest bedroom suite?

12 years ago
My husband is a big fan of this bedroom suite for our guest bedroom. I'm not completely convinced, but I'm glad he's making an effort to help with design! Do you think it looks too retro? What colours would you use as an accent for walls and bedding?

Comments (20)

  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Nice furniture set. It goes with a range of colours. See paint ideas:
    Paint Color SW7640 Fawn Brindle · More Info

    Paint Color SW7051 Analytical Gray · More Info

    Natural Choice (SW 7011) · More Info

    Woodlawn Blue HC-147 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
    aliya6982 thanked Chem K
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Depending on your guests, you can cater a more feminine or masculine setting. Ideas:.
    you can mix florals to soften the lines of the furniture
    Harbor House Country Garden Comforter Set · More Info

    Lili Alessandra Champagne/Silver "Jackie" Bed Linens · More Info


    Or keep it neutral, linear and modern:
    "Parish" Bed Linens · More Info

    Pins 100% Organic Cotton Flat Sheet · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks I definitely prefer neutral, linear and modern
  • 12 years ago
    nice furniture - have some color in the room, even if only a small amount.
    aliya6982 thanked bgfuqua
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Modern, linear ideas for that crisp look.
    Stitch Blue Fitted Sheet · More Info

    Windsor Sheet Set · More Info


    Perhaps repeat the blue in accessories in the room. Some modern table lamp ideas:
    Delavan Rust Blue Table Lamp · More Info

    https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-blue-table-lamps-prbr2-br~t_611~s_2105~a_77-582
    aliya6982 thanked Chem K
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Your guests will never want to leave if you make it look this nice :) I don't think it's retro IMHO
    aliya6982 thanked Meg Blu Home
  • 12 years ago
    One of the reasons why you and your husband may be drawn to this room is because it is calming, this is created by very monochromatic elements and light colors. I would go neutral on paint and not do an accent wall. Bring a hint of color in on your bedding and other soft elements in the room such as a throw at the end of the bed and pillows. Don't go to dark or bright on any color, or what you are trying to create will be lost.
    Best of luck! If I were coming to stay at your house, I would never leave my room!
    aliya6982 thanked ell1010
  • 12 years ago
    Do you think I can stick with the existing paint colour and just do more of a neutral with green accents?
  • 12 years ago
    more pics
  • 12 years ago
    The existing paint is a little too gold, maybe try something a little more neutral. Something between a grey and beige. Antique white (depending on the paint line) will do what you want it to do and your trim will pop just enough.
    You can then accent it in a light green tone such as a very muted teal or even a grayish green.
    Good luck.
    aliya6982 thanked ell1010
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    i think it makes a great guest bedroom and I would opt for more of a beige color for the walls.

    J Design Group, Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Contemporary Miami Interior Designers http://www.JDesignGroup.com
    aliya6982 thanked J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Love the look!
    aliya6982 thanked Solar-screen-shades.com
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks. We have never had the luxury of a guest bedroom so I would like to make it cozy and comfortable.
    Any other suggestions of paint colors? The hall will be BM revere pewter. Would a very pale green work? Beige seems a little boring to me.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi guys,
    Here is an update on the guest room. So moved in, painted and had our furniture delivered. I am testing our this bedspread in the room. What do you think? Would you do white sheets and white drapes as well? We want to keep things simple and classic.
    thanks!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    It's difficult to tell online what the color is on the headboard and dresser, but I would go with drapes in that color rather than the white.
    aliya6982 thanked karielen
  • 12 years ago
    The headboard and dresser are more of an offwhite/ beige which is what makes this tricky.
  • 12 years ago
    Actually your headboard and dresser look a lot like the original that you posted that you liked. The bedspread is very different though. I think that color and style of that bedspread work better with the more modern lines of your furniture. The white, colors and more patterned floral of this bedspread don't work as well. What about the possibility of changing the bedspread to something with simpler lines and color?
  • 12 years ago
    Yes I am just trying the bedspread so I can definitely change it up.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I think even a solid would work better. I would keep it in the beige or taupe color range - not white. Or something in blocks of color with beige or taupe or a geometric would work for the bedspread - something with modern, clean lines. Stripes might be something to consider as well. Perhaps the drapes in a linen shade per color and for some texture.