Software
Houzz Logo Print
nicolefl

Kitchen help for first time home buyer

12 years ago
Hi there. These photos our with the previous owners furniture. Any suggestions on budget friendly improvements? I would like to paint the cabinets (thinking white) and install a backsplash which I think will go well with the black granite. I want to get rid of the green and blue accent paint. I am thinking I'll need to paint both kitchen and great room? I'm a homeowner and decorating newbie so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Comments (12)

  • 12 years ago
    Consider painting the top cabinets white and the bottom black or dark gray. Nice contrast and the bottom cabinets don't look as dirty as quickly.
    nicolefl thanked katearoni
  • 12 years ago
    What a great house! I'm just along for the ride...I can't wait to see the great suggestions you get...please post progress pics...I'm learning too.
    nicolefl thanked Jennifer C
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you! I see what you're saying about the backsplash. The idea of contrasting cabinets is interesting but I can't picture it. Is there a way to match the main beige paint color to cover the green and blue accents?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I think that cabinets are nice as-is. I'd paint all the walls all the same brighter color, add a pendant light over the island or the bar area, a chandelier over the table. Maybe paint the island a darker/different color.
    Greenlake Custom Home · More Info

    Traditional Kitchen · More Info

    Mill House Kitchen · More Info
    nicolefl thanked Rachel H
  • 12 years ago
    I agree. White cabinets always look clean and crisp (when kept clean), but it's also a "failsafe" color. You want a kitchen that you'll LOVE looking at and entertaining in, not a kitchen that just "looks". Darker matte cabinets at the bottom (gray, green, blue) and light cabinets at the top such as a extremely pale yellow. The color difference will create the appearance of height, will keep visible dirt to a minimum, and give your kitchen that "WOW" factor that white just doesn't. Dozens and dozens of examples all over Houzz--just find one that fits your style.

    Happy painting! :)
  • 12 years ago
    It is a beautiful kitchen. Very nice size. Agree with above comments. Painting walls and new lighting will be the quickest and simplest way to make the area look new. Painting cabinets is a very labor intensive task that doesn't always make the cabs look better, especially if the cabs you have are in good shape. If you want to bring more life to the room add accessories in a color you like that can be changed often for little cost.
  • 12 years ago
    We have new cream colour cabinets installed 3 years ago. Looks beautiful. Not easy to keep clean. I can see a bit of wear near some of the handles already that get used a lot, probably from finger nails lightly scrapping the paint. Just saying, solid wood holds up better in the long run.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You have an absolutely gorgeous kitchen!! A suggestion would be, glass tiles as theses would be an elegant light generating addition. You can go with a neutral field tile and accent with a splash of color to tie in your beautiful counter top. This can be achieved by using anyone of our 37+ standard formats or 15+ Architectural assemblies, giving you a truly custom experience just for you. Feel free to look at our site for countless creative ideas. Wishing you a sparkling day.
  • 12 years ago
    Get rid of that green and make all the walls the same soft neutral. You may not need to paint the cabinets but can always consider it at a later date.
  • 12 years ago
    I'd hesitate to paint the cabinets white. Your entire downstairs is open to the kitchen so I think it's better to stick with wood which blends better with furniture. White screams kitchen and also looms large and so would become the total focus. Better to paint out the colored walls before changing the cabinets. Good luck, don't rush into major changes until you've lived there a while.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    before painting have a finish carpenter come in and do the ends of the cabinets (shown on mill house) together with a coffered ceiling with stepped down crown oldings all wood surfaces painted professionally by using an acrylic satin enamel (water based paint) sanding between coats. But you may want to trade in the refer for stainless because it will be too much black . The counters look absolute black because of the sheen on the surface you can have a new front made or purchased for the dishwasher, as well as the Range you might want to go stainless. But if you like it, it looks fine but If I was going to flip it, i would do those things and have it done by a pro. Also considering that this has been recently remodeled look at how well this will tie into the rest of the rooms ajoinning. Use the color of the door on the right and use subway tile against the stove wall under the cabinets.