Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cchrones

Redesigning TV room

cchrones
9 years ago
We moved into a new house, went from modern clean feel to a cape cod more traditional feel. We used to have a big chunky sectional that was dark but felt like it was not fitting with the new house and got something more neutral. The space is long and narrow, with a play area on one end for my child and the other end with the TV. We have a media unit that we love and spent a ton of money but it fit much better in the prior home. We are trying to keep it. Design help for type of rug, side chair, and coffee table, to use in the space? We don't have a big color scheme, we err on the side of neutrals so we have a lot of possibilities. I just want to make sure it feels comfortable but not crammed since it is so narrow. We also have tons of windows on all 3 sides which helps. Also might be changing wall color at some point as the new couch doesn't seen to meld very nicely.

Comments (24)

• jaxfarm
    9 years ago
    That is a big media center - maybe painting it white to match the window trim and using some crown modeling to make it look more built in. For an area rug I would pick something with texture. It will help soften the space.
    cchrones thanked jaxfarm
  • PRO
    cchrones thanked Warner Decor
  • jaxfarm
    9 years ago
    Hee Hee molding not modeling (silly spellcheck)
  • cchrones
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I had a feeling that I should remove the media center, thank you for the extra push I needed. As I try to sell it, what are the rules in determining how high I should position the tv? I am trying to determine what size console I will now need to get to house the cable box, etc and place the tv on (though I guess I could also hang the tv). Any easy rules? I'm also exchanging the new couch for one with a chaise, we originally thought we could get a side chair for the side wall but realize that there is not enough room so might as well get a chaise to utilize more sitting space. The wall where the tv goes also has an air conditioning unit and I don't want to move it, mostly because there isn't anywhere to place it.
  • cchrones
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Another picture
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    it didnt get smaller lol! i would merry it with a beige and black rug, add some neutral curtains, use a pop of color and some black framed art. add an arm chair.
  • PRO
    Post Frame Accessories
    9 years ago
    If you are considering hanging the tv, I have included a photo that might help give you some ideas on how to do it. Basically have a small dresser below the tv for the cable box etc, then mount the tv above it. Then if you want to have a gathering without the tv as a centerpiece, close the doors and the tv distraction is instantly removed (also works great for using the tv as background music without everyone looking at it).

I also included a photo using the same kind of hardware in the others that has an entertainment center similar to your current one but able to be scaled smaller.
  • jansgirl
    9 years ago
    I'd think the proper height for a tv would be eye level when seated.
  • Stacy Snell
    9 years ago
    I think a small space is suited for a really fun accent color, something you wouldn't use elsewhere in case it got overwhelming. Since you said you prefer neutrals, it would be easy to add an accent that you could change out if your tastes changed. (I would go with whatever color is your favorite). And definitely add curtains! For the new media center, maybe get something long to take advantage of the space under the air unit and not break up the wall too much.
    9 years ago
    I don't see how this configuration is ever going to be a good tv room. As is.... the glare from the windows on the tv screen makes viewing difficult or with blinds/drapes closed this is a dark narrow room. Time to rethink this.
  • gutwinsky
    9 years ago
    I hate to say this but an easy and quick fix--or just try it --is to move the media center to the back wall. It will totally cover the window but then you have more room to work with. I would then go with Flair Lighting advice and decorate
  • cchrones
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I really appreciate all the feedback! It's certainly starting to help me. Yes, it is not an ideal tv room But, this is the house we have. It's actually in a great place because it is right next to the kitchen and on the other side of this long narrow room is my child's play area which means that she is always in easy viewing from the most used spaces in the home. And it sits in the rear of the house and away from all doors which makes it a safe place for children. We do have a true living room in the front of the house with fireplace which is used for entertaining, I wouldn't want to add a tv there.
    Flair lightning I like your advice, nice concept, I am 80% sure I'm getting rid of the unit, my husband is giving some push back but I think if I can find a nicer piece to replace it with to show him, he'll be on board.
    Post frame, I also really like your idea for the tv. The hardware in your example is a little too rustic for the rest of our house but I will keep an eye out for something with that setup. Wish I could somehow cover the air conditioner like that!
    Stacy, thank you for clarifying getting a longer unit since I was a bit unsure if I should be doing that in the case I'm highlighting the air conditioner. I've been trying to find a unit in a white or light color to lighten the room and add to the window frames. I would like more advice on curtains since you mentioned it. The room has windows on all three walls and we honestly rarely close the blinds. I've been hesitant about using curtains in fear that it would weigh down and smallen the space since there are so many windows. I do plan on changing the shades to something much lighter and airier once the tv, tables, couch, and rug are in place. I also really like your point on using a fun color that I can interchange easily.
  • jmpjmp
    9 years ago
    My first thought was to cover the back window but I would hate to do that. The traditional chair improves the room tremendously. You need a rug--maybe just a simple fiber rug costing little and totally neutral. Curtains might look ditsy in this room. What about cellular shades or shutters? Either could be adjusted for TV viewing. Like others I would favor removing the oversized wall system. It looks terribly outdated and it way too big and dark for this small room. Hang a modern flat screen on the wall. The proper height is eye level when seated. Make it good sized for enjoyment and also for punch. You could consider a sectional in front of both window walls with the TV opposite. Don't hang stuff on the walls all over or otherwise clutter the small space. A coffee table, if any, might best be transparent. A media room is by nature a bit techy but a traditional element like the chair mentioned can be cool. Light color, probably off-white. Sorry about the wall system but you will be much happier when it is gone. Good luck. The neighborhood is always more important BTW than the TV room. Be sure your lights are on dimmers (ceiling and table) and get a Lutron remote to control them smoothly to add a very high tech cool touch for little expense.
  • PRO
    Post Frame Accessories
    9 years ago
    Sounds like you are getting some ideas that are working. Glad you like some of them. If you find a style of track and hardware you like we would be glad to help you get it.

We currently have horseshoe and strap trolleys for our black flat track and our website has more traditional barn door style track and trolleys. However, we can easily help you get a style you like.
  • uberv
    9 years ago
    Why not treat the media wall as one large apace and ignore the AC? Get a long low media cabinet; wall mount the TV with a swivel mount so you can see it from either end of the room and accessorize the space under the A/C. You can add a sound bar below it You large bowl would be a great start and museum wax will keep it from getting pulled off by the kiddos. There isn't a lot of space for a big coffee table. A couple of cube tables would give you storage and serve as seating for the kids or hold the popcorn and drinks for movie night.

Replace the floods with LED lamps and add a dimmer switch to control the lighting at night and save energy. You really do need to add some sort of blackout window covering to watch TV glare free during the day. Roman shades that extend beyond the window casings would do the job without being perceived as taking up space.
  • qofmiwok
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Once you get a smaller media center, I think the room is the perfect size for tv watching. When it gets larger, you just need a larger tv. I have come around to believe the best thing is a small room where you can sit pretty close to the tv. You could keep your sofa and get two ottomans which would act the same as having chaises, but could be moved around.

I also think the comment about not being a good room is silly. Many of us have windows in all of our rooms, and we are able to watch tv just fine thanks! Nothing is perfect in life, and besides I'd rather glance outside at a great view while watching tv than get the perfect picture at all times of day with no glare ever. You can always use shades / blinds when needed.
  • marybea
    9 years ago
    Hanging the TV on the wall would open up your options and make room for two
    chairs for additional seating. Adding pictures and taller accessories would balance the room.
  • bombel1972
    9 years ago
    i have a wooden corner unit, and that works really well for me. i have a big, comfy ottoman in the middle which stores all our board games, yet keeping the heels of my feet from feeling pain. if you do sell your media unit, at least you can use that money to buy something else that does fit into THIS house. and always get what you just like, not what you THINK would look good or what others think. mix it up. don't be afraid. show off who you are. it's all good :)
  • cchrones
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you to everyone for all the good advice. I'll post some "after" pictures once it's done (or at least once the media unit is replaced).
  • PRO
    Post Frame Accessories
    9 years ago
    Looking forward to seeing your progress! Hope it works out well.
  • sensiblegal
    9 years ago
    Unless money is no object, I would recommend trying to live with it for awhile. It is not ideal for the space, but it is not horrible either and it would be a shame to waste money on getting something different. Yes, you could sell your current one but not for what you paid for it, plus you'd have strangers coming into your house to look at it.

I think the size of it actually helps to define the space as separate from the play area. I wonder if painting the end wall a different color would act as a visual counter-weight to the unit? I was going to suggest using curtains as well to balance the height and size, but "flair lighting" beat me to it. In fact, that post is my favorite suggestion for the room so far.
  • PRO
    The 8th House
    9 years ago
    ADD SOME COLOR TO THE WALLS after your project is solved! :-)

Hello,

I'm Julian, an Artist / Photographer that works for Round Pocket (www.RoundPocket.com), an Art Distribution Firm in NYC.

They provide Custom and General sizes for Various Canvases with a Fine Art Finish.

If you interested, you can request a quote with Mr. Will Sofrin (help@roundpocket.com).

You can also visit my website: http://julianscorpio.houzz.com

Thanks!
    -Julian
  • Angie Keller
    9 years ago
    Okay, I know you're considering getting rid of the media unit, but how about using as a "wall" room divider perpendicular to the wall it's currently on? You would then move the couch to the media side(could be either side, perhaps away from the windows for better viewing) and move the play area to the "blank wall" back side. Maybe paint it white, but paint the back with chalkboard paint to create a fun playroom vibe?