Software
Houzz Logo Print
amhall117

Pachysandra

14 years ago
How wild does this Pachysandra grow?....I don't know how far to space....Couldn't find that info. on line...
Windsor Companies · More Info

Comments (18)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Joe is exactly right! We normally plant Pachysandra 12 inches, on center.
  • 14 years ago
    I always planted about 8" staggered. The thing about Pachysandra is that the first year it sleeps, the second year it creeps and the third it leaps. Patience.
  • 14 years ago
    Is this something that will grow out of control and hard to maintain???
  • 14 years ago
    No... it keeps itself fairly contained... esp. if you have a border of some sort. Loves some shade.... as the color looks anemic in full sun. Just takes a little while to establish but worth the effort.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks for your prompt response....Shade is something I have plenty of that's why I'm considering it....Out of every house I'd either built or bought for the last 33 years, this is my first home that I've had to deal with shade loving plants...I'm an expert on all the sun-lovers & it bothers me that the shrubs I really want to plant won't work in my yard......I really like the way the Pachysandra looks so I'm definitely gonna give it a try......
  • 14 years ago
    One more comment and I will leave you be. Shade can be great! Azaleas, Rhododendrons, hosta lilies, ivy and the such all do well in moderate shade. To me, shade it probably the element that I appreciate most in a garden. Of course, too much and nothing much grows... but a moderate amount and it can add so much. Good luck with your garden space.
  • 14 years ago
    I've planted quite a few of all of the above including 50 Japanese Hollies that do very well....I'm planting a hedge that rolls around my front yard...It's gonna look great in a few years....
  • 14 years ago
    BTW you're not a bother.....I appreciate any advice.....Gardening is just one of my many passions...I always say," Just give me a bag of dirt & I'm happy!"
  • 14 years ago
    I have similar type of space and love your design, but I live in California and get lots of sunshine in the are, what would be a similar look but for sunshine.......
  • 13 years ago
    I am moving to Charlotte and wish to plant pachysandras in pots.

    My question - where can I purchase them? I have lived in the panhandle of FL for the past eight years and have not found a place selling them. Hopefully I will find them in NC!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Gwen ~ I will assume that most any well-stocked Garden Center in Charlotte will carry an assortment of ground covers.... including pachysandra. I've never tried growing Pachy in pots but I would suggest doing so in the shade. Charlotte is in Hardiness zone 7 I believe and the plant should do well there. You can also order the plant online from a plethora of nurseries. Best of luck...
  • 13 years ago
    I just moved in to a house that has all river rock instead of mulch in the flower beds. I would love to cover it up with pachysandra, but would it grow okay without a coverage of mulch?
  • 13 years ago
    Amagsame ~ A couple of things... You did not mention where the house is located which might have some bearing on whether the plant will grow well (With or without river rock). Assuming that you are in an area where Pachy can thrive.... then I suggest one of two things.

    First, it might be best to scoop up the majority of the river rock.... and I will bet that there is plastic or landscape fabric beneath.... which would have to be removed before planting the ground cover. IF there is not plastic or other barrier..... and if the soil is loose enough.... it might be possible to plant with the stone in place... although a lot of work with a trowel and probably slower to fill in.... as Pachy takes a little while to get going.

    If this river rock bed is in the sun.... forget about it and consider ivy or some other ground cover. The rock combined with the sun would cook the tender plants. Sounds like you have some work to do. Best of luck...
  • 13 years ago
    I read somewhere that Pachysandra is so hardy it will even grow under pine trees.....
  • 10 years ago

    Have problem with yellowing of pachysandra. What should the pH be and how can I amend the soil?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Pachysandra terminalis (commonly called Japanese spurge) is tolerant of most soils, but thrives in slightly acidic, organic conditions. In that sense it is a true woodland plant. It prefers slightly cool soil and the foliage will yellow in bright sun or dry conditions. I use it often in garden designs for shady areas and find it to be an aggressive spreader here in the Pacific Northwest. A smaller spurge, Pachysandra procumbens, will do the same, but is only half the height.garden design, woodland plants, ground covers

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations