Software
Houzz Logo Print
jdingles

How does this look? Do I need wall sconces or anything else?

12 years ago
Houzzers, room by room you are helping me make my house a home. This is the couch in my living room. We are happy with the wall color, it's a bit darker than the photo. I would love your comments.

Comments (363)

  • 10 years ago

    hi Grover and other art lovers! I have been searching for some art for above the cabinet. Help please!

  • 10 years ago

    succelants arrived! Better?

  • 10 years ago
    Nice! Make sure you water them from the bottom.
  • 10 years ago

    Hey, Judi, didn't you used to have sconces over that cabinet? If you took them down, how about a nice portrait format canvas with some white or silver lamps on either side?

  • 10 years ago

    If you want to do something tropical, this artist does lots of palm trees:

    Gallery Direct Fine Art Prints: Coconut by Allyson Krowitz · More Info
    Other blues:
    Gallery Direct Fine Art Prints: Meadows Of Gold Ii by Maxine Price · More Info



    Gallery Direct Fine Art Prints: Looking For Clarity by Bob Hunt · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Grover! yes, I did have sconces. sadly, one broke during the floor installation. I like the second art very much. I like the idea of two lamps on the cabinet. I don't want to put nic nac stuff on cabinet as I prefer pretty empty table tops:) same as you, if I remember correctly.

  • 10 years ago

    I like grover's second art choice too!

  • 10 years ago

    etsy art?

  • 10 years ago

    Pretty, but is the shape right for the spot?

  • 10 years ago

    Ann, that is my hesitation too. The artist can possibly custom size. Square shape best for this space?

  • 10 years ago

    I just remembered an artist that we discovered while in Hawaii. Clark Little.

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    Any more comments regarding art can anyone photoshop? Please and thanks

  • 10 years ago

    You simply need two pieces of art or one large piece over the sofa and more throw pillows

    J J thanked Nancy LaRochelle
  • 10 years ago

    Owenbrooke, ha ha.....I am pretty much done with the room..take a look. I am just looking for art above the cabinet now and posted some possibilities above in recent comments. :)

  • 10 years ago

    Did you finish styling your glass shelves, Judi? I like the Clark Little art--very vibrant. Tape out the size before you order.

    J J thanked indomom
  • 10 years ago

    Indomom, I will post picture soon of the shelves. Just about done with post holiday clean-up.

  • 10 years ago

    Anyone else have thoughts about clark little art? How about a photoshop? Hint hint Grover :) plug also to all you helpful folks....I'm working on my master bedroom if you want to join that transformation.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    my husband found this art.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    does it work?

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Judi! Could you take pics from farther back, please? It's hard to get the proper perspective so close up. Would you consider a few books for the shelves--just to break up the space a little?

  • 10 years ago

    styling shelves is a challenge!

  • 10 years ago

    Books....good idea! Picture books on topic of sea or random?

  • 10 years ago

    ignore the flooring material:)

  • 10 years ago

    I'd probably do random books, some upright and some laid horizontally. Those items (fish?) on the top shelf could use some height, so that would be a good place for some horizontal books. And I think I like the art your husband found, but can't tell how it relates to the table underneath size-wise.

  • 10 years ago

    Indomom, we are open to getting the art framed to relate to cabinet size better. I think Grover suggested lamps??

  • 10 years ago

    ?

  • 10 years ago

    Or....we can move the art to another location and get a larger, clark little

  • 10 years ago

    Like the books on the top shelf. Do you have some small art you could either prop or put on a stand for one of the last 2 shelves--something like Grover suggested in a much earlier post?

    I also like the art over the cabinet. If Grover could PS the Clark Little that would be helpful. I don't think the current piece is too small, though I think it's hung too high (but maybe that was a pre-existing nail :)).

  • 10 years ago

    i added a glass piece made by a friend. I am on the ookout for an original small print.

  • 10 years ago

    lowered art. I tend to hang art high because of my tall family. Lower a bit more?

  • 10 years ago


    Cast Ammonite Fossil - Extra-Large · More Info
    Use larger objects, fewer of them.

    J J thanked groveraxle
  • 10 years ago

    I know I'm nit-picking these shelves to death (it's what I do at my house, too), but now they seem bottom heavy. Try moving the plant by the dolphin and the wood(?) where the plant was. Maybe put the plant on the small books. I wish I could move things around like G. does!

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for your help, I appreciate the extra set of eyes. Welcome Grover. I absolutely want to put a live plant in the corner.
  • 10 years ago

    Very nice! Better balance. Not 100% sold on the vertical books. One last thing to try and then I'll stop--Dolphin where sea fan is, sea fan and fish where dolphin was. Vertical books removed.

    J J thanked indomom
  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    I think I like that best of all. What are your thoughts?

    Agree that a big plant will look great in that corner.

  • 10 years ago

    Indomom, my sincere thanks for your nit-picking, that is why I like houzz. Honest opinions always appreciated.

  • 10 years ago

    I like this new arrangement too! I'm being even pickier, but I might try the sea fan moved 2.5" to the right and the fish moved 1" to the right, from their current positions.

  • 10 years ago

    Thx Ann, moved 'em :)

  • 10 years ago

    I'm so so on the art your husband found. Seems a little small but the colors are good. If it could be returned, I think I might, but if not, it could work, especially with a chunkier frame to add to the size.

  • 10 years ago

    Ann, thanks for comment on the art. It is an original piece . The artist drew the map, which is amazing to me. We will get it framed, I think. Frame ideas??

    And, we still might eventually get a Clark Little original. And put the map art elsewhere.

    Can anyone photo shop one of the Clark Little prints for comparison?

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for being a good sport about the re-arranging ad infinitum. You took it in the spirit that I intended. :)

    J J thanked indomom
  • 10 years ago

    Your shelf arranging with indomom was well worth it. The result looks great!

  • 10 years ago

    Do you own the Clark Little prints or are you just considering them?

  • 10 years ago

    That's a nice thing to say, Ann! I'm always tweaking over here.

  • 10 years ago

    Ann, we don't have one yet, but have admired his work for awhile. Some of my favorites are posted earler

    i could easily post several more that I like.haha

  • 10 years ago

    done-ish for now! I need a plant pot and frame art at some point. But,now on to final design phase of the master bedroom. Thanks everyone.

  • 10 years ago

    Your living room is looking nicer and nicer Judi! Nice job!

    J J thanked Ann
  • 10 years ago

    Well done!

    J J thanked indomom