Software
Houzz Logo Print
danette_davis

Need help with the floor plan for my 2nd floor

12 years ago
We put an addition on and gutted the whole second floor. We want a master suite including bathroom w a toilet room and just a stand up shower, no tub and 2 other bedrooms. Also a walk in closet, 2nd bathroom with tub and laundry room.

Comments (14)

  • 12 years ago
    Planning a bathroom has to happen before you ever break ground so that the plumbing can actually work. The architect who designed your code compliant and inspected addition should already have planned the space to function, as well as have taken care of the necessary mechanicals being located in the correct space for the plan.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Seems tight to have everything on your list given the overall dimension of the structure.
  • 12 years ago
    Here's one design we came up with. We expect small rooms, nothing very large with this house. We may go for a two bedroom design but we are worried about resale value.
  • 12 years ago
    Hello Danette, let me give you some design ideas. I'll hop into CAD and send something your way when completed. Gary
  • 12 years ago
    With the space being small, try to take advantage of pocket doors wherever you can. They are excellent space savers. Just remember that there can be no electric in the wall opening where the doors slide in.
  • 12 years ago
    Gary here are the pictures of the outside. It's a bit hard to see with all of the scaffolding we have up. It does front of the house, left side, then right.
  • 12 years ago
    This is a good start Danette. Would you like me to take you all the way through to a completed, dimensioned second floor plan? If so, I'm gonna' need a bunch of dimensions from you. If you're up for it, I'm ready to assist. We can dialog back and forth until we have just what you need for you and your family. Please let me know how to proceed. Gary
  • 12 years ago
    Sure, just let me know what you need. Thanks!
  • 12 years ago
    Okay. Let me get some other minor stuff off of of my desk, and I'll send comments and questions your way in about an hour.

    What time zone are you in?

    Gary
  • 12 years ago
    We're in New York
  • 12 years ago
    Danette,

    OK. I'm in Southern Utah, so you are 2 hours behind me. That helps when I visualize when you might be seeing my posts, and when you might respond. It also helps when it comes to Building Codes. What city or county does your Building Official work out of?

    I just became obligated to take some evening snacks up to my youngest son's scout troop. They are camped only about 45 minutes from my office, so I have a little time yet. But due to this, I bet I won't see your responses to my questions until tomorrow afternoon. I am going to drop out now, type in Microsoft Word, and then cut & paste back into houzz. I should have something in front of you in about 30 minutes or so.

    Gary
  • 12 years ago
    Danette,

    Please respond to my numbered questions/comments below:

    1. Do you have a dimensioned floor plan for the second floor drawn by a draftsman, contractor or architect? If so, is it accurate in every regard to what now exists?

    2.In your original post you talked about gutting the second floor. Are there remaining and second floor load bearing walls other than the stairwell? If so, I need those walls located accurately.

    3.On the subject of dimensions and accuracy, let’s set a couple ground rules: Every time you provide me with dimensions, they need to be measured from interior drywall to interior drywall, or from interior stud to interior stud. Please pick a method and stick to it – unless otherwise specified. Accuracy of dimensioning cannot be casual; please be accurate to no less than 1/8th of an inch.

    4.Please specify the wall thickness of the exterior walls and the interior walls … 2x4, 2x6, etc.

    5.I need accurate dimensioning of the stairwell. I do see dimensions on the [plan attached to you original post. First of all, what “rule” do the dimensions apply to from my comment #3 above? Secondly, the 3’-10” dimension at the top of the plan just outside the stairwell does not agree spatially with a furniture piece located in your other posted drawing that was done on Chief Architect’s “Room Planner.” Please clarify, and provide revised dimensioning for the entire stairwell as per my comment #3 above.

    6.I see the scaffolding in the photos. What is your intent? Will you be replacing exterior wall coverings?

    7.Are any of the second floor windows sacred? Can any/all be removed/relocated/revised? If so, what window manufacturer do you intend to use? If you have not yet chosen one, do you at least know what window material you prefer … vinyl, composite, clad wood, etc?

    8.Is there anything about the plan that I have already posted that you like? Do you still want to try to have three bedrooms upstairs, or would two be better – allowing for a more spacious Master Suite?

    9.What is the first floor ceiling height?

    10.What is the second floor ceiling height?

    11.Please provide all exterior wall dimensions from vertical corner-board to vertical corner board.

    12.Please measure the width of all windows on the exterior, and put a mark on the absolute center of the window. Next give me the dimensions of all windows from that center-line to an outside wall corner. Ditto that for all exterior doors.

    13.Please provide me with the dimension of all windows and doors as accurately as possible, measured from the inside edge of all exterior casing. In every case, label the windows width first, then height. If you can, label the windows on a plan or a photograph with an alphabetic or numeric sequence, and then allow you window-list to conform to that labeling system. Ditto all of this for any/all exterior doors.

    14.After having read the numbered items above, please let me know if you want to proceed with this level of detail in order to allow me to assist you, so that I may know what to expect and how to budget my time.

    15.Finally, provide details on any other issue(s) that you think I might need to be aware of.

    I look forward to helping your family reach your remodel/refurbishment goals in a smart, artful manner. Will wait to hear back from you,

    Gary Prentice
    Country Lane Design Group