Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_598341

New sofas - u-shape? 2 L-shapes?

12 years ago
This room is quite long...

Would you put a u-shape sofa in the middle & if so, how would I fill the space at either end?

Would 2 L-shape sofa's in the corners be better?

Comments (27)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Thank you - that's what i was thinking. The only thing i'm nervous about is what to do with the space that'll be left at either end of the room! Console table with lamps & mirror at one end maybe? Suggestions for the other end?!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You may be surprised at how little room seems left over with the seating arrangement. I'd pick the sofa or sofas first and then post again for completing the spaces on the ends. Will you be removing the black shelves or replacing the art? I do think the placement of the art needs adjusting. If you hang art without any furniture below, then the center point should be 5' above the floor. If hanging over furniture the bottom should be at 5" above the piece. If you put a console or credenza at one end it should be 25% wider than the art or mirror that hangs above it. Can your chandys be lowered or are they simply covering standard ceiling fixtures? It might be nice to see them reflected in the mirror, but I wouldn't hang the mirror too high just to capture the chandys. Better to lower them if possible. Where is the entry to this room? I can't tell in the pix. Consider a game table at one end if you entertain.
    User thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Thank you SO SO much for such valuable advice. Yes the art would be changed and possibly the black shelves would be removed too. Lighting would be changed too so suggestions welcome! I'm thinking of keeping the wall lights and wall colour but changing the wallpaper on the windows wall and the window dressing because i really like the coastal chic look. The entry to the room is from where the first picture has been taken.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    P.s. would you remove the black shelves?
  • 12 years ago
    Depends on which way the sofas will face. You'll need walk room behind them, so I think the shelves should go. I'm glad to see the wallpaper go too. I personally prefer an accent wall to be solid and not pierced by windows or doors, although I do make exceptions for FP walls. I'll keep my eye open for coastal chic ideas.
    User thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You are brilliant, thank you :-) As you look at the photo - I'm imagining the corner sofa to run facing the tv and down the left hand wall side (although not along the wall itself obviously) then having a side table at the end of the sofa on the side facing the tv. Then down the right hand side wall maybe 2 occasional chairs & a coffee table in the middle. Hope the makes sense?! Like this:
    Eclectic Living Room · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Then if there's enough room maybe a stool seat in front of each window
  • 12 years ago
    Can you post pix of the furniture pieces you are considering? How wide are the windows?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Not started looking at furniture yet - just wanted to get my head around what I'd be looking for. Although I like linen, taupe/grey, white, blues, studded details & geometric & stripe accents! I currently have dark wood but think I'd prefer white & lighter wood this time.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I really like this & would love plantation shutters
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    And these colours
  • 12 years ago
    Love it! Shutters and palette! Find a sofa in one of the nice neutral grays. Sea Salt is a fab neutral for walls.
    Silver Lake - Sunroom · More Info

    Living Room · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Thank you so much, I think I now know what I'm looking for! You've been soooooo helpful xxxx
  • 12 years ago
    Please come back here and post photos of the finished product! We hate not seeing how it all turns out.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    There are few things more impractical than an L-shaped sofa. You can't sit in the corner where they come together and you can't rest anything there, and you're still paying for upholstery. If you want that arrangement try a sofa perpendicular to a chair of the identical style, with a square coffee table/end table in the corner where they meet.

    On the other hand, not everyone shares my view. There are lots of L-sofas around. I just don't know how everyone finds them useful.
  • 12 years ago
    I don't understand this room. Why is the TV between the windows? What is on the opposite wall between the shelves? That would seem the logical place for the TV. Then you could keep the shelves and do a sofa or sectional facing that wall.

    That little splash of wallpaper on the window wall is more distracting than anything. I would definitely remove it.
  • 12 years ago
    Don't let 'em discourage you. I made the assumption the view was worth facing so it was easier to incorporate TV into that focal point than turn the seating away from it.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    That's a fair point about the tv which I hadn't really thought about - this is how we've inherited the room. On the opposite wall are 2 radiators with shelves at either end & the entrance door - which is not in the centre of the wall, it's to the right of the left hand radiator as you look at the wall.
  • 12 years ago
    So there's a door on the wall between the shelves? Can we see a photo of that wall?
  • 12 years ago
    :-)
  • 12 years ago
    For viewing of TV. I would place Sofa opposite TV, and a chair on either side with ottoman in center. Place small tables or garden stools on each end of chairs for drinks etc. or move sofa so facing TV keep other chairs where they are buy 2 swivel chairs and put where sofa was. But pull into center of room more. It would give you more seating and better viewing of TV. Add big art piece behind sofa. And remove shelve.
  • 12 years ago
    Pic. over sofa now hung too high. 7" from top of back.
  • 12 years ago
    Ottoman is too centered move sofa and move ottoman so 18" from front of sofa. Otherwise what use is it.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree why is TV on that wall? If you put it on opposite wall on a long buffet type chest. Would work better for room. Place sofa where TV was. Then do as I said in other post with chairs. Will have a better feel to it.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Only trouble is - the door to the room is on the wall opposite the tv which makes it tricky to put on that wall. What if we put the tv on the wall where the pic is - how would the furniture work then? I've attached the floor plan for the room.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    curious what you did with the space. any after pictures you can share?

    eva @ MONARCHSOFAS.COM

    ** CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF FINISHED CUSTOM SOFA AND CUSTOM SECTIONAL PROJECTS