Software
Houzz Logo Print
jengregory

Cork care

12 years ago
I have sealed cork flooring in my kitchen and breakfast nook. It is a dark blue-grey color. I have had the floor for two years and have only used swiffer wet and, occasionally, Armstrong floor cleaner.

I would love to know how others clean their cork floors. Do you use a steam cleaner or other floor cleaner?

Comments (3)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi jengregory. This is right up my alley. Your care is perfect. There is nothing else you need to be doing. Because you have sealed your floors (yeah!) you are welcome to continue using Swiffer for "Hardwood Floors". It isn't a big change, but it could mean the difference between damaged finish and a finish that lasts and lasts. Traditional 'Swiffer' spray/jet mops use chemicals that are approved for tiles/lino/vinyl/cement but are corrosive to wood finishes. That's why I'm directing you to the "Hardwood" version.

    Please do NOT use a steam cleaner. These cleaners are for glass, cement, stone, ceramic/porcelain tiles, metal. Wood, laminates and cork should not be cleaned with steam cleaners. Today's newest floor finishes are tough but have significant changes in their chemical make up. This is the ensure clean indoor air quality. These changes also bring about a few "odd" things...like hazing when exposed to steam.

    Let me know the name of the cork producer and I will be happy to investigate any other "quirks" that company has regarding cleaning/maintenance. There are several companies that require a floor polish be used and other companies BAN floor polishes (eg. my company DOES NOT allow floor polishes yet Wicanders and Torlys REQUIRE their use to maintain warranty). Confusing I know but it all comes down to the finish.

    Respond to this thread or send me an email: Attention Stephanie info@cancork.com
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks SO much, Stephanie. My floor is from US Cork and is called traditional plank floor under the heading of Natural Cork. My understanding was that the planks came presealed. We did Not seal after installation. Should we?

    My main problem with this product is that in the areas where something dropped and dents have occurred, the color is sometimes gone, too, leaving the natural cork color instead of the blue grey. I guess the color is just a thin veneer on the top.

    Thanks for the info on the hardwood swiffer. I have been using the wrong thing but will remedy that immediately. I also have purchased a floor cleaner that is supposed to clean and dry hardwood floors. I was going to try it on the cork in the laundry room to see if it marred the floor at all.

    I just feel like the floor isn't as clean as it could be. I used to clean on my hands and knees but can't do that anymore so I want to keep things as simple as I can. I can stand so much longer on the cork, though, than I ever could on tile.

    Thanks for your help!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Ok, you have a factory finished floor that has not been sealed. This is different from what I had read in your post. The finish = Endura UV cured finish = acrylic with (or possibly without) Aluminum Oxide finish. This is a very tricky finish to work with but it can be done. The acrylic finish is not the hardiest finish in the world. It requires refinishing quite a bit more than polyurethane. Even Urethane finish cork has a slightly longer time between refinishing.

    Do NOT use the floor cleaner that 'cleans and dries' hardwood!!!! Your floors are not sealed against moisture along the seams! Any "wet" cleaning product will damage the plank...not just the finish. I can almost guarantee you will ruin the hardwood AND the cork with this product. Do not use it! If you do, you will void every warranty you have.

    US Floors is very specific about their finishes. If you feel your floors are not looking good any more, you can have them professional refinished. To do this you need to contact US Floors to find out about the finish that is required. My guess is it will be a Bona product - but don't quote me on that.

    As to the dents = these can be steamed out with a very hot, lightly damp cloth laid over the dimple. The removal of colour is common with factory finished floors. The veneer is 0.5mm thick but the colour is only surface deep. The Endura is supposed to be a little tougher than that...but all finishes can be damaged with enough use.

    It is possible the dull finihs has come about because of the cleaner you have used. Please contact US Floors directly to find about about their cleaning products and their stripping agents (these strippers will help remove any of the cleaning products you have used in the past). Using the stripping agents will be required before reapplication of a new finish.

    My appologies for going back on what I said ealier. It was my understanding that a finish had been applied AFTER the floor had been installed. Either way, you CANNOT use the cleaner you just bought.
    J Gregory thanked Cancork Floor Inc.