Software
Houzz Logo Print
rebekah_jakel

Designing around a rug... what colors would you pull?

12 years ago
Found this rug that I love (below is the link) for a family room that is in an open design with the kitchen. Now , I am trying to figure out which colors to pull out for walls and window coverings (preferably drapes). Will likely go with a leather sofa in a brown shade, I love bold colors but fearful of the room becoming too dark. The space is not finished yet (so I haven't unrolled it for the room). Any thoughts appreciated! :)


http://i04.hsncdn.com/is/image/HomeShoppingNetwork/prodfull/liora-manne-petra-agra-100-wool-rug-mandarin23-x-d-20120305120538897~6756703w.jpg

Comments (18)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Love the rug - great choice! What colour is your kitchen (walls and cabinets)? That will affect what you do in the adjacent family room.
    R J thanked Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    The walls are currently divine white (Sherwin Williams) with white trim, but the whole house is this currently... Appreciate any advice.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I can see your concern about getting too dark. What about making the couch something like the beige color of the border?
    R J thanked soupson
  • 12 years ago
    Main reason for leather furniture is small children at home and their uncanny ability to find sharpies and ink pens...
  • 12 years ago
    Light blue, raspberry, or sage green will all lighten and brighten, and pull colours from both rooms.
    R J thanked studio10001
  • 12 years ago
    How about something like this for the walls? A nice neutral tan/ beige for the drapes. Beautiful rug. Lots of options.
    R J thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I could see something like Benjamin Moore Cornsilk 198 on the walls in both kitchen and family room. Then I would look for moss/olive green draperies to tie in with the counters and the rug. Would be cheerful but still very sophisticated.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    My vote would be for a mocha or light grey/blue and add your pops of color in the accessories, pillows, art. Accents could be in combinations of hot pink, rich blues and deeper oranges.
    Pacific Heights home rejuvenation · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would go a light sage green that appears to be in the rug with what you have and are planning on.
  • 12 years ago
    thanks for all of the tips. I think I'll be some paint samples and see how they look.
  • 12 years ago
    Would love to see a picture if you have one and it is no inconvenience. :)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I'm not a fan of accent walls, but this photo reminded me of your rug ( they say the color is Glidden Pro Deep Ochre). I'd be afraid of any muddy or grayed down color. I'm in favor of white walls for this rug, maybe an accent wall, and colors in accesories. SW Dover White is a crisp but warm white. Have fun with your new house.

    willmore residence · More Info
    R J thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Here is the room as we were setting up last week, I just love the blue in the carpet
    R J thanked Maggie Bohlman
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi again, on another boring note, I'm attaching a link for an ideabook on using Beige. It might have some ideas. I can see a clean beige setting off the rug really well and still being useable in your kitchen.
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/color-guide-how-to-work-with-beige-stsetivw-vs~4670288
    R J thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for all of the comments. Love all the pictures! I think it will all hinge on the amount of light in the area. I like that cornsilk color. My husband wants to paint before we move in, but I'm torn since it seems like spending some time in the space can be helpful to see how things fit and look during different times of the day.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I really like the pumpkin color. Consider going big with pumpkin on walls and then play with the turquoise layered in with art and accessories.
  • 12 years ago
    This is as close as I could get to cornsilk on this program, but it seems a good neutral choice - especially if you must paint before moving!
    R J thanked studio10001