Software
Houzz Logo Print
supersonya

House exterior detail colors

14 years ago
We will be changing the entire exterior of our house: upsizing the portico, all new windows, front door and garage doors and removing all shutters. The gutters, soffit, fascia and trim are ready to be replaced too. We're having trouble picking the right colour for the windows and all exterior details. We want to bring the house back into looking more like the traditional Georgian style and brighten up the look. As such, i'd like to keep the colour scheme simple and classic. How do we work with that brick??

Comments (18)

  • 14 years ago
    Nothing is more classic than black and white. White windows and black shutters would look very nice.
  • 14 years ago
    yes, i love it. But will it work with our colour brick? This may not be a good photo, now that i look at it. Our brick seems to have a lot of pink undertones, or at least it seems that is what has been pulled out by the current trims, etc. You don't think the white would be too striking? I'd go for it as it would be most classic. Thanks for your input.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I have to agree with the first post by ej610, The brick exterior of this Georgian Colonial would be classic in black and white. I feel like your brick will be better contrasted by this color scheme. Right now, the beige of the trim color is blending and not contrasting. Also, since you are getting new windows I would consider a style similar to this
    Front yard · More Info
    This style will help define this Georgian even more in its transformation. If you are just replacing shutters, I would put new shutters on top half only. Hope this helps. Charmean Neithart
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks Charmean. Funny, we moved here after living in Atlanta for 12 years. The house you set as example is very traditional there, probably why i love it. My fear was with our brick colour not being red, but more orangey/pinky (if that's possible!). My husband thought the white windows would be too stark. I think if we went maybe for a cloud white vs. snow white and shutters in charcoal vs. black. Such seemingly small details, but such big impact. It's exhausting! :) Thanks for your input.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Try these colors, Almost Black 2130-30 and Paper White OC-55 both by Benjamin Moore. Sample them first, this is a great charcoal black color and a white with subtle silver undertones. Let me know how it turns out. Charmean
  • 14 years ago
    Awesome Charmean!! Wil do. This will be so helpful. The silver undertones sounds like it will be just right for the colour of the brick. I want to get as far away as possible from all the darn pink. It will help bring out more of the other "cooler" colours in there.

    Since we're getting new windows, do we order them in a "paper white" (i.e. not pure white) to try to match Moore paint? What about for soffits, fascia and gutters (currently creamy/pinky (?) and brown)? Go with all paper white as well, but shutters in the almost black?

    By the way, roof is currently brown (yikes, the domino effect!). It was just re-done before we moved in 5 years ago. Will it be a problem with the almost black? I really appreciate your input. :)
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Yes, if the window manufacturer will color match then give them the Paper White and ask for a sample. I would use Paper White on all the soffits, fascia and gutters (if you're painting gutters). If gutters are copper, then just leave them. Yes, shutters in Almost Black. I can't really see your roof in the picture, but Almost Black should be fine. There is also a color I like very close to Almost Black, called Deep Caviar 2130-20 by BM. This color looks black, but with brown undertones. Sample them both and consider the roof in your decision.
  • 14 years ago
    Charmean, you have just reach my "best friend" status!! Right up there with my contractor, electrician, plumber, ... (yes, i'm a home owner). You're awesome! Ok, now i'm just gushing. I will certainly look up these colours and go with checking out. Have a great day!!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    LOL, yes some of my favorite friends are contractors and electricians. Glad to help, let me know if you need anything else. I've asked my friend Dytecture to chime in here. He should post soon. He has a really great eye for exteriors.
    You can follow me here...
    http://www.houzz.com/pro/cninteriors/__public
  • 14 years ago
    that's great! Following you now. I may need to take a better photo to help with colour.
  • 14 years ago
    Photo of our house taken today. We are looking to do lots of exterior updates, including landscaping, in time.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Pretty house, I can see the roof now. What state are you in?
  • 14 years ago
    I"m in Canada now. Outside Toronto in Oakville. Thanks on the house. When i saw it i thought it had great structure and layout but needed to have some attention to bring back the classic, traditional style. We'll be putting in double hung windows with the traditional divided lives, etc. We're also going to build up the portico, create a baluster roof (juliette balcony??) on the lower gable and make the upper gable more pronounced. At least that's the plan. In the meantime, we have to address these windows, trim, etc.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Got it, post pictures as you complete the work.
  • 14 years ago
    Oooh, i love what you did in the photo! Very helpful. Yes, beefing up the fascia was definitely in mind as i have been researching Georgian architecture -- simple and "heavy". I'm hoping to beef up the window structure as well via manufacturer. Classic look i love. Thanks! :)
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Thanks David!
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Chiming in here (a Canadian as well), impressed by Charmean's colour suggestions and David's input ... WOW! :) It's going to be gorgeous.