Software
Houzz Logo Print
aleahstrano

Silestone Lyra or lagoon with sea foam backsplash?

12 years ago
We are doing a white kitchen with white shaker cabinets, and a sea foam green glass tile backsplash (ann sacks Lucian glass tile in rain. We are leaning towards a darker acacia for flooring (hand scraped acacia in caramel from hardwood bargains). We will have a galley kitchen with a large 12 ft island. I am trying to decide between Silestone Lyra or lagoon. I am leaning towards Lyra but wondering if it will be too busy with the bright colored backsplash. There isn't much backsplash area - just the area between the sink and window (about 1ft high) so I'm also trying to determine whether to do 1x2, 2x4 or 3x6 backsplash tiles. Any input is appreciated!!

(Lyra is to the left in photos and lagoon to the right.)

Comments (13)

  • 12 years ago
    Lagoon BUT look at Quartzmaster Calcutta grey first! It looks just like marble!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks beachlily. I looked and there isn't a quartzmasters dealer in my area so I am still needing to decide between the silestone lyra and silestone lagoon. I went to silestone today and saw the larger slabs (photos attached, lyra photos are first three, lagoon are last two). Still leaning toward lyra but wondering if the more pronounced pattern will be too much with the bright colored tile.
  • 12 years ago
    Last photo didn't post. Here is one more of lagoon
  • 12 years ago
    Lagoon.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi inpdx, that's for your feedback! Do you mind telling me why you prefer the lagoon? I've had mixed answers from friends so would love to know your thoughts! I do think lagoon resembles marble more but my concern with it is that it's too gray and that my backsplash won't "pop" off of it as well as the lyra. Any thoughts on that?
  • 12 years ago
    Did you go with Lagoon? I'm struggling with it's gray hue...I'm not sure what to use as a backsplash with it. I want something VERY simple; I don't want anything that will say 2014 in ten years. I want to use the suede finish on the countertop, and I initially envisioned glossy white subway tile with it, but I'm thinking it just isn't right. I think that lyra is just too busy, but it doesn't appear to be as gray.
  • 12 years ago
    Love the Backsplash..concerned the first choice is too busy, however, the soft feeling of the glass tile might not work with either choice. If you have no other options, the second counter selection might work better.
    I LOVE glass tile but have limited its use to an accent as I think it will certainly give a definite time stamp to your kitchen. If you love it ..go with it. It is likely you will either move or remodel within the next decade...so live with what you love.
    The natural stone sealers are so great...they might be an option for you.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yes! it will make it dated at one point...so go more neutral with your choice and bring in the color to accents accessories.
  • 12 years ago
    Since you have a galley kitchen are you using green in the living area?
  • 12 years ago
    @arrowheadlover Yes, went w/ Lagoon. It was just installed this week and it looks great! It is a very light gray and muted. Not busy at all. You are right that the Lyra is more white but it is super busy and i am really glad I didnt go wtih it. Trust me, this was a really tough decision for me and I'm so glad I went with Lagoon. @tyrrell and @Interior Affairs - Vickie Daeley, I am just more of a color person so I know the thing to do is to stay neutral but I had to add a little fun pop of color with the backsplash and am so glad I did! I feel like a back splash (esp one as small as mine) is super easy to refresh and update through the years! I'll add pictures later this weekend so you can see the close to finish product (I still dont have cabinet pulls on and there are a few tweaks that are needed, but it is very close and you can at least see the colors together). Thanks for your feedback!
  • 11 years ago

    Can you post a pic?? I'm doing a white kitchen with similar backsplash. Would love to see your results!

  • 3 years ago

    love it