Software
Houzz Logo Print
kismekate

What color should we paint our two front double doors?

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
The shutters and double doors are now black. We would like to paint the doors without painting the shutters as well. Our style is cottage and far from modern and the only color we don't want is red. I was thinking burnt orange maybe? Any advice and input is appreciated!

Comments (29)

  • 12 years ago
    Yes burnt orange ...then add huge burnt orange pots up by the house with flowers ..also copper house numbers,the bigger the better on the house near the door
  • 12 years ago
    I wish I were brave enough to do the turquoise...it seems a little too modern for our style though. I did a really awful mock up and like the green as well. What do you all think?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Red or burnt orange for sure! Don't be afraid of color. Hope this suggestion helps, good luck with everything!
  • 12 years ago
    as has been previously mentioned on these threads I would think twice about mixing orange and black.
  • 12 years ago
    I'd go for maroon. It always looks good with gray. Some pots to go with it would be nice down at the bottom of the steps.These are outrageous, but I'm a whiz at spray painting plastic or styrofoam pots, so you can get the look for less. Looks like you need to paint the porch ceiling and then add some chrome lanterns.
    Medium Monaco Planter, Maroon · More Info

    Medium Corby Planter, Maroon · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Anne, I tried to do a search but couldn't come up with any threads. Would you happen to have a link? Thanks.
  • 12 years ago
    basically, the colours black and orange, together, suggests halloween! ;-)
  • 12 years ago
    I don't have a suggestion for you, but here is an ideabook about orange doors that might help. There are a lot of front door color topics if you search through the ideabooks; enough to really get you confused. :)

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/front-and-center-color-when-to-paint-your-door-orange-stsetivw-vs~4068961
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Orange would be great since your home is a gray shade with gray shutters. (An orange door wouldn't work with black shutters.) Or Yellow. Yellow and gray are beautiful together.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    Thos, the shutters are actually black not grey. You don't think the orange will work with that?
  • 12 years ago
    How about this brilliant red from BM 20
  • 12 years ago
    I think orange and red are too expected. Maroon isn't and works with charcoal just fine.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If it's too close to a pumpkin orange, it would be reminiscent of Halloween. But you could go with an orange that is closer to a rust shade, like Sherwin Williams 6342 Spicy Hue.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    I support the other suggestions of a bright colour. You have a traditional house so I would "funk" it up a little with something like pink, or purple. I like the suggestion of orange, but I think that that is too predictable. There are SO many colours, pick something a little different and stand out! Good luck
  • 12 years ago
    TCan you post a close up of your stone/brick foundation. Would like to see what colors are in it. Agree the orange door could be trickey with the black shutters and facia board, oops trick or treat. The black facia board on the verandah roof appears to cut your house in half. I would paint it white like your other trim.. Pick a color you are using inside you home in a brighter tone, it will marry the outside to the inside.
  • 11 years ago

    I'm sorry to be blunt, but WHITE is the color. Everything is dark and you have white trim around the windows. It would truly brighten the house. I know this is the safe choice, but your home is too elegant to go with anything else. I would also fill in the steps with white wood or Hardie board and paint the tops like you've done the porch. Good luck. Windy

  • 11 years ago
    How about plum or cobalt blue? I also like the suggestion of using bright white. Hope you will post a pic after you paint!
  • 11 years ago
    Good suggestion on filling in the stairs Windy. I too think that would make a huge difference for the curb appeal. But I like Christi's burnt orange SW colour swatch. I think it's far enough away from the Halloween theme.
  • 11 years ago

    Old post. I wonder what they chose for the door paint color?


  • 11 years ago

    Still have not decided, over a year later! A baby and life got in the way of painting. Still open to all suggestions!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    How about a goldfish tan like the brick at the basement level and the chimney...

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    gold-ish tan (not goldfish!)

  • 10 years ago

    Paint the railing black, it stands out too much. The doors are a black hole. I'd paint the shutters and railing (whatever is black) a dark gray, the white strip sounds good, and those doors would be FAB in turquoise. You have a mid-century modern house. The black shutters are (pardon me) awful, and you are right in brightening the entire door area with a bright color and white. Not the railings, paint them the shutter color. Good luck.

  • 10 years ago

    Oh, wow. The comment about our shutter color being awful probably would have been helpful (?) when I posted this two years ago!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Agree with the commenter upthread that your door color needs to harmonize with your foundation color, which looks like brick. So work with that.

    I'm confused by a couple things:

    --Why are red and turquoise too "out there" but orange isn't? (Mind you, I like orange a lot for certain front doors. Just make sure it works with your brick foundation.) Contrast is what is called for, so pick something that is more intense than the gray. That's why your pale green doesn't work.

    --Did you mean your personal style is "cottage?" The house itself has modern lines, and the shutters seem like an attempt to turn the house into something it's not. If you ever decide to embrace the style of the house, remove the shutters entirely. There are so many of them, they create visual confusion.

  • 10 years ago

    We painted the door a year ago. Thanks for all the advice.

  • 10 years ago

    Hi kismekate, are you willing to share a pic of the new paint colour.

    On a side note, it appears strange that the advice keeps on coming a year or two later than the original post, but, it's nice people still care!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    yes, burnt orange will work or how about eggplant/maroon? very elegant