Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sachin_sachdev

How to make small bedroom look cozy

Sachin Sachdev
9 years ago
Hi,
Need a help to make our small bedroom little warmer and inviting. I know the houzz is abundant with beautiful bedroom photos however, it is difficult to find one that is easier to replicate.
We want a bedroom that is quite easy to maintain, yet elegant. We both work in IT and often have to get up in the middle of the night to work fix problems. Hence, we need a bedroom that can work as a small office when required.
Thanks for the help.

SS

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Liz Townsend Design/Color
    9 years ago
    It might be really neat to paint the accent wall a metallic or use a textured wallpaper. Also a neat rug with texture as well.
    Sachin Sachdev thanked Liz Townsend Design/Color
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    The blue accent wall is striking but there isn't anything in the room that compliments it.
  • Chem K
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    to make the room warm and inviting the bed has to be the centre attraction. Dress the bed with an elegant headboard and bed linens

alternative blue rooms that are calming. Some ideas:
    Preserve Point · More Info

Fitzroy Development · More Info

Skyline Furniture Arched Border Headboard, Mystere Dove, Twin · More Info

Skyline Furniture Tufted Wingback Headboard · More Info
  • User
    9 years ago
    I think more photos of the room would help houzzers. I'm not fond of drapes that end short of the floor. If you like the blue, you might want to consider changing your other walls to a blue undertoned gray or a crisp white. The current color and bedding isn't playing well with the blue, MO. Have you considered removable wallpaper behind the bed? One of my favorite houzz tours shows a young wonan's bedroom. She used this first wallpaper from Target to create vertical stripes behind her bed. (I will try to find the photo.) But Target has some darling removable papers. I attached a blue example, if you like blue. Look at IKEA for simple, small desks or consoles. This is the besta burs two person desk, sorry, can't tell if this is an option for your room. Last, it looks like your side tables are a bit low for the bed. Ikea has leg sets, too.

Here is an ideabook about placement etc. for a bedroom home office. Hope it's helpful.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/design-dilemma-how-to-make-a-bedroom-workspace-fit-stsetivw-vs~3825854
    Sachin Sachdev thanked User
  • PRO
    Jarret Yoshida Design
    9 years ago
    more pillows on the bed (just two more) plus a more relaxing color on the wall. at least in the photo, that blue looks positively electrifying.
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    Not sure how much money and changes you want to make, but here some ideas. Really need a headboard plus it will make the room cozier - add a rod and fabric panels that fall to bed. For bedding see ideas in pics. Remove blind and drapes and add a bamboo blind (with our without new full length drapes). A rug near bed is cozy and place your side tables closer to the bed. Without seeing room layout, not sure about office space, but perhaps you could incorporate a wall unit that has an area for computer & chair. Top shelves could contain baskets for neat storage.
    Highland Park · More Info
    Eclectic Bedroom · More Info
    Colorful Bedroom with an Ocean Breeze · More Info
    Eclectic Bedroom · More Info
    Lincoln Park Master Suite · More Info
  • User
    9 years ago
    cb2 bedding idea: Footfall.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Bedding is important. You need a bed with rails and a headboard. You could go leather. Then paint one color. No accent walls. Go a soft color, like a pale gray. Then get bedding with gray in it. Your lamps are nice look like sea shells. You could go bigger night stands in a dark wood. Panels on Windows in a solid dark gray. Add a black bamboo shade under them. Put half way up during day. I hate to see a office in a master bedroom. The room should be relaxing. Find another place to put a office. Add a big 45" sunburst mirror. TJMax has them. Hang 7" from top of headboard. If room for a chandelier in ceiling. Go a white 24" hang so 7 ft from floor.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Always use high thread count over 600 White sheets. A area rug in a silver shag take 1/3 way under foot of bed 8x10
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Panels on windows always go to floor. Measure from top of rod to floor. You could wallpaper that blue wall. Go a metallic black, grays. Contemporary. Do rest of walls a gray. The grays are restful and relaxing. As well as easy to work with. Any paint store like Lowes carry wallpaper books. Take measurement of wall to see how much to order.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Your ceiling looks like spots? Keep ceilings white.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Move painting down wall above bed 12'.
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    I might be the odd man out here, but I don't think it looks too bad.

I disagree with @Laura, however; I would go lighter blue on the wall. That color of of blue drowns out the rest of the room, IMO. If you don't want to change the wall color, @ciscomo shows a spread that pulls that color in and maybe some different curtains would help?
  • PRO
    Ku Interior Design
    9 years ago
    Number one, you need a headboard. Upholstered would be nice. Next an area rug to soften the floor and provide warmth for your feet when you get out of bed.
  • PRO
    Ku Interior Design
    9 years ago
    Some nice bedding wouldn't hurt either.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    1) curtains are too short
    2) ether keep the blue wall and add other accessories in the same shade of blue of repaint it
    3) bigger print above bed or mirrors
  • Dee Cee
    9 years ago
    You don't say which items can go and which items must stay. The room is cold and lacks softness. The wall colour should be the first thing to tackle. A lovely taupe/metallic wallpaper would look great on that wall. You need a headboard and to make the bed look more sumptuous. A blind with long dress curtains (these then won't look too bulky or over bearing in a small room) think about using a console table for a desk as these are slimmer and a glass topped console (again to bounce light, not look too heavy or bulky) will be cheaper than a glass topped desk. Can't see much of your bedside tables so not sure if they need replacing or can be painted but they need to be closer to the bed. Lastly, ditch the picture! Will try to find some photos to help you visualise the changes. Good luck - I'm sure it will look fab when finished :)
  • Julie Welch
    9 years ago
    If your bed is a queen...can't tell from pics...get a king size coverlet or comforter...instant cozy for cheap. Wall mount lights on both sides of bed and drapes from ceiling to floor.
  • micheleb622
    9 years ago
    Upholstered headboard and a nice area rug would go a long way. Pic needs to stay high on wall to accommodate headboard. Soft white bulbs in lamps, too.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    "Warmer" to me would mean removal of the blue, which is cooler. "Easy to maintain" would translate to me as "less is more." Focus on a super elegant bed and bedding, a striking rug, perhaps some bedside tables, beautiful floor to ceiling drapes, high end lighting and call it done.
    Lake Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    Hildreth's Home Goods
    9 years ago
    Adding a rug or bringing in some fresh flowers might help tie together your space. http://hildrethshomegoods.blogspot.com/2013/09/decorating-small-bedroom.html
  • Sachin Sachdev
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. The common message I am getting from all the posts, is to place a rug and change the colour of the wall. Not to mention, a bed head is equally essential.

I must admit, the bedroom photo doesn't show other half of the room, but we have about 2.5m of empty space between the edge of the bed to the other end of the room. Perhaps, an upholstered chair would do the trick?

Once again thanks for your valuable inputs. I will post some more photos once we have implemented some or all of your suggestions.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    u don't need to repaint the wall if u wanna use it as ur assent color. look at the pic from my profile, u can so similar design but in blue. round mirrors can be replaced even by wave mirrors from Ikea, and u need to find a a nice big canvas in with blue (or u can print one)
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    as for empty space, a photo would be nice to see whet is going on in that corner
  • User
    9 years ago
    I love the look of this room, wonder if something similar could be achieved with an ikea hack?
    http://houzz.com/photos/43575
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Where's the owner? They're not txt here. I fel like I'm talking to a wall?
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Ok , now I see finally who they are.
  • wisneb
    9 years ago
    Cozy ideas / color palettes for your room and...
    On the other side of the room you can have a small desk/chair and use a screen or pull curtain between desk area and sleeping area.

I'd definitely repaint with a calming color and get longer draperies.

Work in some texture *rugs, throws, etc.*

Boutique Mews House, London · More Info

Global Living / Bluefish Home - Showroom · More Info

Hillside Home · More Info

Quaker Bluff Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    The Classy Home
    9 years ago
    to make bedroom warm put more pillows on bed. use couch or bean bag chair for seating. you should put rug under bed. hang curtain on window. throws also makes the room cozy. see ideas for cozy bedroom http://www.theclassyhome.com/comersus_listItems.asp?idCategory=229&Furniture=Master+Bedrooms
  • PRO
    Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
    9 years ago
    The blue wall isn't exactly a warm color so I would change that. The addition of a rug will also definitely help, as well as a head board. (We have rugs at furnished up.com that you might like.) Paint the wall a warmer color first and then picking out the rug will have to come last.
Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida