Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debra_mcnamara

What colour should I paint this fireplace?

Debra McNamara
9 years ago
We have this hideous black tile fireplace surround. I would love to rip it out and replace it but for now I will just have paint it. The tile has a ripple texture which you may be able to see in the second photo. The wall is a taupe colour and the carpet is a pale honey. What colour and finish(gloss/matte?) would you suggest painting it given the colours in the room and the texture of the tile.Thanks in advance Houzzers!

Comments (11)

• Debra McNamara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks wrecking ball I was thinking same colour or contrasting colour but yes similar colour but darker shade would work nicely.
  • PRO
    Unconscious On Canvas
    9 years ago
    You could mosaic tile it? Or add some 3D to it?
  • Annie Fischer
    9 years ago
    I think the color would depend on what is surrounding the fireplace. Would you keep the painting on the wall or be willing to paint your walls? What type of furniture do you have in that area (a picture would be great). I think that the texture and size of the fireplace and wall behind it would be perfect as a focal point for a space, which could be done with color.
    Debra McNamara thanked Annie Fischer
  • Taylor
    9 years ago
    I agree with Amy in regards to what is surrounding the fireplace. However a pop of color would really brighten up the room.
    Debra McNamara thanked Taylor
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- That surround looks like it is just set on the front . Have you looked to see if that could just be removed ? If so then you could just reface it with what you want . Other wise paint it a color that is a little darker than the wall color . Or paint the whole thing white in a satin or flat finish.
    Debra McNamara thanked lefty47
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    I don't think it hideous at all. I actually like it and would leave it alone. But, a beautiful, right size art piece above it would focus on the art, instead of the FP.
    Debra McNamara thanked Darzy
  • Debra McNamara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Can't show the rest of the room as it's currently a dumping ground for kids large trucks and for drying laundry!Eventually it will be the grown ups sitting room.I want to keep the wall colour in the rest of the room as the curtains match but I like the idea of doing a pop of colour on the chimney breast. I will be getting rid of the picture too as it's not the right size and I can see it's too bland with the walls.So now the question is what colour would pop!
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think this color would work with the FP, wall color and carpet color. A green/teal... Similar to the green in your current art piece.
    Architect's Residence · More Info
  • Debra McNamara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ooh Darzy I like your thinking. Actually the curtains are taupe and a nearly mint green - not stripes more they blend into each other (see pic). But if I got some art picking out those 2 colours that could work. I love teal but not sure about it on this wall. Maybe coral could be nice or is that too on trend? I also have an old chair I need to get reupholstered and was struggling for ideas for that. But a floral pattern with the green and taupe from the curtains and a third colour that matches the art could work well - ideas, ideas, ideas!Thank you Houzzers I knew you'd help me to look at this differently.
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    I think the coral would not complement the carpet color. I'd go the green/teal route.