Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_lumsden

Help furnishing an unusually shaped livingroom

12 years ago
I have bought a period property with lovely features but stuck on how to furnish/arrange the living room as it is unusually shaped with decent floorspace but little wall space.

Some of the property can be viewed here: http://www.s1homes.com/Houses-for-sale/2012090609482913.shtml. I attach a photo of a part of the room and a hand drawing of the shape. I will post the dimensions later (schedule is misplaced). The room is approx 20 sq ft x 20 sq ft excl the bay.

It's the combination of lack of wall space, with large, offset bay window area and the inset fireplace area that is proving tricky. The bay could take a 3-seater sofa but the area is not really 'in' the room.

Thanks!

Comments (15)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like the arrangement as it is. Furniture should be directed toward the fireplace.

    Or .... Leaving the left sofa space as is ... Maybe an L-shape arrangement and no furniture near the door pathway.

    A built-in bench in the bay or a comfortable bench with a back.

    A larger TV can be placed over the fireplace.
    Lisa Lumsden thanked LB Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks! The photo is of the room is with the previous owner's furniture and arrangement. I quite like the arrangement but her sofa and chairs cut off the space in the bay, which is quite large. We currently have a TV on a sideboard on the left of the room.
  • 12 years ago
    Oh - and no desk required.
  • 12 years ago
    I would put a large cirner sofa on the left of the room, and a TV unit on the right wall , leavijhng the passageway of the door free
  • 12 years ago
    The corner sofa should be looking towards the fireplace on the opposite wall ( in the pic) and on the TV wall ( right side in the pic )
  • 12 years ago
    a rough sketch :) :)
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks! Like this idea x
  • 12 years ago
    Agree LB on the current arrangement suiting but what do you think of the chair having its back to the bay window area?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Lisa, I think the Bay has to stay somewhat separate because of the shape of the room and the angle distance from the Fireplace. A game table or high bar table might work in the bay. Primarily furniture needs to face the fireplace and the TV. If you need a chair opposite the FP, I don't have a problem with it. If it all feels too crowded, then I would not use a chair.
    Lisa Lumsden thanked LB Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with LB and leave the bay separate. A nice sitting area like this would be lovely in there. Someplace to retreat to, to read, and separate from TV area.
    Lo-Hi Residence · More Info

    If TV and credenza are on the wall under where the sold sign is in you first pic. I would put a chaise sectional across from it, with the chaise side being on the bay side of LR, just to separate the areas a bit. Then add a swivel chair the other side sectional by FP so could be used to enjoy fire or watch TV.
    Lisa Lumsden thanked MarleneM
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks all. Great to get confirmation that the bay should be separate as that has been my instinct xxx
  • 11 years ago

    This room is almost complete now. Thought you might be interested to see since you

    kindly took time to comment previously x

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for the updates. You say you are almost complete, so I hope you don't mind if I suggest a couple of tweaks. I would like to see you move the lamps. Move the table lamp to the end table beside sofas, then move the floor lamp to beside chair. You could add a plant to the red stand, then I think you need a bit more pattern and colour in room, so I suggest some patterned pillows and then something with colour on coffee table so it doesn't blend in. I've done a couple of rough photoshop images to show you what it might look like. Sorry it was too hard to move the floor lamp.

  • 11 years ago

    Hey Marlene, thanks for the comments. Actually, we must have similar taste, as I was planning a few of these ideas myself! Definitely a plant over by the red table and some colourful cushions to break things up. Both lamps and the table were borrowed to see how they'd look. I'm planning a leather footstool instead of the table. Thanks again! :)