Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_4998675

What should I put on top of the kitchen cabinets?

12 years ago
I have no idea what to put on these cabinets! I've seen some ideas on Pinterest but don't know where to buy anything. If you have specific ideas for not-super-pricy decorations, I would LOVE to hear them. Bonus if you can tell me where to buy them. THANK YOU!

Also, FYI - we have a black dining table and are getting more (brown) furniture for the room next to the dining table. It's all one big area. Thank you. :)

Comments (17)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Could be left empty.
    Rachel Rofé thanked Dytecture
  • 12 years ago
    I thought so too, but the boyfriend thinks it looks more "homey" with stuff. :\
  • 12 years ago
    Actually, I wouldn't put anything on them. It doesn't look to me like something is missing. If you really feel like it needs something, maybe a simple mixture of artificial green plants and baskets. Maybe spell out a word or phrase with painted wooden letters: let's eat, yum, ??
    Rachel Rofé thanked kn123
  • 12 years ago
    I agree. Nothing is the best option. Maybe a fresher paint color on the walls and some art on the big wall on the hallway behind the kitchen. A bowl of something colorful and pretty on the peninsula when you get all unpacked.
    Rachel Rofé thanked flyr4fun
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Please dont put anything on top of the cabinets. I would spend the money on a ceiling fan and door pulls. and paint the front side of the island. or wait until you can take down the strange half wall, and turn that into an island counter top, move the fridge to the other side, take out one pantry set. add recessed lighting. that is if you own. if not..... leave it the room is heavy with cabinets already.
    Rachel Rofé thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    THANK YOU ALL!! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUSLY HELPFUL - and I am yelling because of it. :) Thank you!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Looks like you could really use some colour in this space. I would start with some faux greenery then add something bright. You could buy coloured glass vases under $10-20 at Winners/Homesense, then add tins from your local Dollar Store. While a home is meant to be a place to re-charge oneself it is also where we want to have happy gatherings, great conversations and deep thoughts. So many of the currently popular decor colours are just plain making us as boring as they are.
    Rachel Rofé thanked Another Thyme
  • 12 years ago
    Oo, I love the ideas for more color too. So awesome. Thank you. :)
  • 12 years ago
    A beautiful kitchen Things you would love to see every morning. T liked the idea of letters spelling something out! Then something from nature a large ceramic, or even a favorite large painting.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Your boyfriend is totally wrong. Nothing should go on top, except a light strip, to bounce light up to the ceiling, creating much more atmosphere than a bunch of bric a brac/ tchotchkes/alphabet letters/giant spoons(sorry Margo!), etc.
  • 12 years ago
    Please, please no faux greenery.
  • 12 years ago
    Tell your boyfriend to get up there and take a nap...would fill up the area and he would realize just how bad something up there would look...kidding,and I'm with everyone else ...leave them empty but add lighting
  • 12 years ago
    Nothing please on those cabinets! When will this dated trend to clutter up a perfectly lovely kitchens , end! Especially those words like Yum and Love or Eat - really I hate those. JMHO
    Ah feel better now.
  • 12 years ago
    Dear Rachel...add an mdf raised panel to the lower cabinet that faces into the adjacent room, paint all of the cabinets and add nicer hardware new countertops in quartz and a large area rug over the tile floors. The stained 3" base molding needs to go. I would invest in 6" replacement base molding that is painted and all doors and trim painted...counter top over hang where I suggested the mdf panel so that you can have bar stools on this side of
    the kitchen. New lighting will also, help. If you do most of the work, you could probably
    re furbish for $5,000.00
  • 11 years ago
    I store my rarely used, but pretty, larger serving dishes. Like cake stands, punch bowl (yes, I still have one), glass pitchers, tiered serving pieces. And things my Grandmother and mother gave me. Pyrex percolator, molcajete, etc.
  • 11 years ago

    Nothing at all. You have so many cabinets, can you fit one out for your garbage can so you don't have it out in the open?