Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_38631

Need help with Hood and Liner installation

Kathy O'Neill
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
I need to install a VentAHood liner and semi custom enclosure over the space where our new 36" Capitol Culinarian gas range will sit. This is a new install, there is no previous ductwork installed.

My question(s): What do I do first? Start building the enclosure or hang the liner, so I can cut the hole(s) for ductwork without being inside the enclosure. Or hang the sides of the enclosure, then the liner and ductwork and finally close in the front....

I don't know why this boggles me so much. I have never done this before, but am what I consider a fairly advanced DIY. Since having our addition built 6 years ago, I have done all of the finish work including hanging the rest of the cabinets in the kitchen, installing our cherry hardwood floors and finishing the bathroom including tiling, and toilet and vanity installation (including valves and plumbing fixtures).

The details for the exhaust hood/ enclosure:
The enclosure will be made of 2 side panels that I have to cut down from a 6' long panel and 2 separate front panels provided by our cabinet manufacturer. The front pieces are: 1 rectangular piece with 3 panels (to match the cabinetry) on top and an arched panel that will sit below it. Upon unpacking, I find out that the arch panel is wider than the top panel and will need to be trimmed, exposing unfinished sides and therefore needing some finish work. After looking through photos here, I am not thrilled with my enclosure, but will have to work with what I have for now. The photos I like have the enclosure looking like a single cabinet, not pieces put together, but we had this kitchen designed / purchased through Direct Buy over 4 years ago and I am just now getting to finish it, so there is no way to address design or order errors. The liner is a VentAHood liner that is 40 3/8" wide by 22 1/2" deep. The space available is 44 3/4" wide.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Sorry for the clutter all over. We have been living in this unfinished kitchen for several years and I did not have the time to clear it out before begging for help. :)

Kathy

Comments (15)

• apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Did you buy the Vent a Hood fan and liner already? I found the Vent a Hood people quite helpful. If you don't get an answer to your question here, you could ask them.

Where does the interior ductwork come out on the wall?
  • Kathy O'Neill
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi apple_pie_order

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, we bought the VentAHood a while ago. It's been sitting patiently waiting for me.

The duct work will go directly up out of the liner and through the back wall to the outside wall of the house. An 18" to 2' run or so. It is not going up through the roof.
  • Kathy O'Neill
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    apple_pie_order

I wasn't sure if I should put up the liner first or install the duct and damper first.
  • Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    Do you have the box for the panels yet? That'd be my first step. Then Installing the liner & vent, before attaching it to the wall. Do you know where the vent will be going out?
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    What's the model #?
  • Kathy O'Neill
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @Carol

I have to build the sides of the box out of a 6' x 24" panel pre finished like the cabinets that the designer ordered with the cabinetry.

The duct will come out of the top of the liner, make a gentle ell to the back wall and go directly outside. I purchased the recommended VentAHood gravity damper to terminate the ducting outside. I need to figure out exactly where the 8" hole will go in the back wall and transfer to a rectangular cut out in the outside wall for the damper. That is one of my questions, too. Do I need to mount the liner first to figure out where to cut the whole in the wall?
  • Kathy O'Neill
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @River Valley Cabinet Works

Vent A Hood
    Professional Series liner
    Model BH240PSLD
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    I've never done one of these personally, but if I remember correctly, the liner goes up first. Make all your connections(electrical and venting) because it's easier to do without the surround in place.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Your kitchen designer did a bad thing here. The flammable hood surround panels needs to be at least 30" above the cooking surface and probably more, according to the installation instructions of the range type depicted in the last picture.
  • Kathy O'Neill
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @Fred

While I'm not thrilled with the look of the 2 panel design, the distance from the range to the highest part of the arch (where the bottom of the liner will have to be) is actually a little over 34". The lowest sides of the arch are just at 30" above the range.

This puts the combustibles where code requires, but actually moves the liner out of recommended specs from VentAHood.
  • Marc Hochman
    9 years ago
    I just put in a roof mounted hood 1200 cfm insert for my Capitol 36". I got my handyman to install it. It works like a dream. And I love my Capitol.
  • Kathy O'Neill
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ Marc I installed our hood and we put in our Capital Culinarian last November. I love both of them!

• Jason Manowitz
    6 years ago

I have a similar issue, chicken or the egg, can't figure out if the wooden hood goes up first, then liner, then frame to seal liner, or if liner seal goes in after wooden hood, then liner. Driving me crazy!

• Meanie Stanton
    5 years ago

@Kathy

Could you share the sequence of the work?. I'm planning to get a Vent-a-hood (BH240PSLD) liner and trying to figure out how to get it done. But unlike your kitchen, my range will be on a wall that won't have cabinets on either side so the "frame" that will support the liner will have to be attached to the wall first. Also, I'm curious to know how if you could say that your VAH is quite quiet i.e., you can still have conversation even when it's at its most powerful setting.