Software
Houzz Logo Print
jenna_carr

Home sick in Louisiana

12 years ago
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re: my living / kitchen. I'm scared to paint the stain but, I may have to - would love to hear suggestions. A few things I love are white walls / cabinets. Hardwood floors, shutters, interior brick walls, linen, distressed decor & furniture. I wasn't given many options when we built 9 years ago. I'm not sure what to do with all the windows. I feel that my cabinets could have been extended past the refrigerator & they could have gone up a lot higher for more storage. I dislike the square thing that the vent hood is hanging from. HELP!!!! I want to start slowly getting what I really want! I'm confused!!! Thank you in advance!

Comments (570)

  • 11 years ago

    What is the width of the current desk?


  • 11 years ago
    The current desk is 4 ft 2 inches
  • 11 years ago

    Hate that comments don't automatically pop up .

    Size of current desk seems good. Do you find that it protrudes into the arched opening too much?

  • 11 years ago

    In a "perfect world " the desk would be better suited on an angle to the left of the window but won't be good as there is no room to move the hutch to the opposite side of the room. Of coarse the "new desk" will not be solid so it will look more airy.


    Could you just check on the length of the wall in office in back of the desk (towards entry side), thanks.

  • 11 years ago
    Would a grey toned rug like this Crate and Barrel Reyes rug work better to balance the reddish wood stain?

    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/rugs/area-rugs/reyes-rug/f61371

    CB provides an option to order a swatch but rug is quite pricey.
  • 11 years ago

    OOPS, also depth of armoire please.


    Wish I could do photoshop as some of the pros on here .. I would paint up the armoire, lay down some rugs & arrange the furniture like a magician .. & "abracadabra" you see the look before you eyes ..LOL

    What is the size of the rug in the living room .. would that fit in the office .. to help fill up the space? Thinking about adding an upholstered chair to the left of the hutch... ?? Then that would be enough furniture in the office.

    If you get the new desk (has no drawers ) .. your old one has drawers.. thinking of where you would put your "papers" .. could always put them in the armoire.

  • 11 years ago

    Jenna, the rug url wasn't highlighted so wouldn't open

  • 11 years ago

    Sorry wasn't your post Jenna.

  • 11 years ago

    Lainie, you have to copy and paste the URL into your search box and it will open.

  • 11 years ago
    The wall behind the desk is 6 ft 1 1/2 inches.
    I was thinking the desk would look good on the left side also but, the armoire is soooo big!!! Had it made thinking it had to be huge because of the wall being so bare
  • 11 years ago
    Depth of armoire is 29 1/2 inches
  • 11 years ago
    The rug in the living room is 8 x 10
    I was thinking the same thing re: the drawers - my stuff would have to go in the armoire. The current desk seems fine w/ the arch provided y'all think it's in a good place.
  • 11 years ago
    Ohhh... I wish I knew Photoshop also... Maybe when I make the new dilemma the pros will help us out with that. I like the idea of a chair on the side of the armoire... Have thought about it in the past but I get soooo confused! I like that color rug Bellsum. My floor is Mannington Allspice - it's brown but, tends to look orange or so in certain lights.
  • 11 years ago
    The new desk would be 11 1/2 inches deeper then the current one - will that we ok?
    (The current one is 18 1/2" deep that I'm using now & the new one is 30" deep)
  • 11 years ago

    Deeper is good .. will balance the weight of the armour! Ok, pull the old desk out 11 1/2 " more into the room so that it will be positioned where the new one will land. Take a pic, check it out in person, evaluate.

  • 11 years ago

    Think the 48" long desk will be fine.

    If you want to visualize what the living room rug will look like in the office just use painters tape on the floor to give an idea of where it will lay. Try it both ways .. 8x10 & 10x8.

    Sorry to give you so much work .. that's the downside of not being able to help you move furniture in person. Better stock up on some energy drinks (just kidding), maybe a healthy "green" shake(works for me).

  • 11 years ago

    Here are two different chairs in that space. Either would go with that rug you posted above.



  • 11 years ago

    Only one attached on that one.


  • 11 years ago
    Oh yay Bellsum - I didn't know you could do that!!! That's amazing. I've been moving furniture the last 45 min. Gosh... I need some muscles over here! Lainie I stopped for a choc. Chip cookie break to give me some energy. Haha. here's the pics. Sorry - not the best quality. Oh... I will check on the desk from Restoration Hardware as I'll be close to their store not this weekend but the next. They want almost $300 just to ship it! I turned the rug over for a plain look. I think it's time to retire the one I have as it's a little busy & too much oranges. I'd rather neutral colors I think. I'd like to have maybe some soft teal accents - on my sofa like the pillows Natalie suggested etc. W/ the grays... HELP!!!! I'm not too sure about the rug thing. Well... :) yall are all better at this stuff then I am.
  • 11 years ago
    Sorry they didn't all post the 1st time
  • 11 years ago

    Good work! Really like the way that the rug & desk "fill up " the room. Are you "feeling it"??

    Think the pain rug (with texture or tone on tone,as Natalie showed) is the way for you to go .Size of rug should be that you can place the new desk "fully " on the rug.

    Like the "thick " light colored chair that Nancy Walton showed above. This room needs a bulky chair since it will be the only piece of furniture in there.

  • 11 years ago

    I think that chair (kind of "zebra" print , grey & taupe) shown with the industrial desk in your idea book would serve well as a desk chair & go nicely with the plain chair shown by Nancy Walton.

  • 11 years ago

    I can also see using a floor lamp by the armoire with the chai.r

  • 11 years ago
    If I put a bulky chair like Nancy posted do I still put a chair @ the desk like the one I want for the head of my kitchen table? Also.. The rug Natalie suggested is for the living room right? I can definitely handle a rug in the office as long as it's simple & like you said with texture etc. Just not a lot of color. I need to post a new dilemma so I can get suggestions on those things :) thank you!! You all are working hard for me!!! I appreciate it!
  • 11 years ago
    I said Bellsum... I meant to say - Nancy!!! Thank you. I'm trying to do too many things @ one time! :)
  • 11 years ago
    Ok. Sounds good re: the chairs. I have some shopping to do. :)
  • 11 years ago

    Can do same chair (plain) as you want for kitchen table ... Then would do the larger chair in a "a heavily textured or a tone on tone" with a bit deeper color (mean non-color)..LOL

    Well off to help with my son's 4 kids & then to pick up other granddaughter at dance. Will check in tonight..xo

  • 11 years ago

    Can use a pop of color on chair & vases, etc.

  • 11 years ago

    Guess you need to pick out the chair & rug at the same time.

  • 11 years ago
    Sounds like you are busy busy!!! :) my kids will be home shortly & will wonder why I have stuff moved all over. Haha. I will make a list of the things I need to look for and will work on the new dilemma this week... Paperwork & Catechism tonight... Non-stop as always - take care.
  • 11 years ago

    Jenna, if you are going to use an 8x10 rug, just make sure that the 10' length goes down the length of the room, not across.

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you Nancy. I'm glad you said that as I do like it length ways better. :)
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hi Jenna---

    I'm super busy-sorry, I don't want you to think I disappeared. I love all the suggestions. I just looked at photos so if this has already been brought up, I apologize. Have you tried the desk in front of the window (back to window)? Two chairs across from it---a neutral rug, different light fixture, and linen panels. Here's some pics for you-pic of bedroom and room with fireplace to serve as texture/pattern/color inspiration for you... I'll pop in when I can... Keep it up. xox

    Modified Telluride by Candlelight Homes · More Info

    [houzz=[https://www.houzz.com/photos/modified-telluride-by-candlelight-homes-craftsman-home-office-salt-lake-city-phvw-vp~384382[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modified-telluride-by-candlelight-homes-craftsman-home-office-salt-lake-city-phvw-vp~384382)]

    Transitional Home Office · More Info

    [houzz=[https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-home-office-transitional-home-office-toronto-phvw-vp~7516746[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-home-office-transitional-home-office-toronto-phvw-vp~7516746)]

    Palmetto Bluff - Private Residence · More Info

    [houzz=[https://www.houzz.com/photos/palmetto-bluff-private-residence-traditional-bedroom-charleston-phvw-vp~1170139[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/palmetto-bluff-private-residence-traditional-bedroom-charleston-phvw-vp~1170139)]

    [

    Lake Keowee: Smith Private Residence · More Info

    houzz=[https://www.houzz.com/photos/lake-keowee-smith-private-residence-living-room-phvw-vp~590588[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/lake-keowee-smith-private-residence-living-room-phvw-vp~590588)]

    Jenna Carr thanked Natalie
  • 11 years ago
    Hi Natalie!!! You're so sweet. I know you wouldn't just abandon me. :) I was off of work today so I had time to play. I'm planning to get a new dilemma started by this weekend, hopefully! I have stuff all over the place. I will try to take better pictures when I get the other one started. I haven't tried the desk in front of the window but, I will do that. I have linen panels that were in that room previously - but, I'm not sure if they'll still work or not. I'll post pic's of those also. Maybe if I take pic's only leaving the furniture I am keeping I can get some diff. Suggestions on fixtures etc. That I can pick from! I need all the help I can get. :) THANK YOU!!! Xoxo
  • 11 years ago

    Jenn, did you ever have the loveseat in the (living room) positioned opposite to where it is now?

    Jenna Carr thanked Lainie D'Eon
  • 11 years ago
    Hi Lainie, I may have in the past but, I will try that as it's kinda cluttered where it is now. It's cold & wet here today. I hope you have a good day!!! Thank you...
  • 11 years ago

    Jenna ..Smart idea on showing pics of the furniture that you are keeping. Could show those in a room setting in your new dilemma.

    Also would be a good idea to show them in an idea book named furniture I am keeping. Also an idea book named accessories I have on hand (cabinets, stands, vases, crates, pictures(size) etc., include also things that you still like that are not currently on display.

    State in the intro that folks can refer to your idea book to check this out This way folks reading your dilemma for the first time will know that they can to refer the idea book at any time. Kind of like shopping your "warehouse".

    I find that when I just start commenting on a dilemma that has been in progress for a while as it is very difficult having to scroll way back to see some part of a room that may have shown a piece of furniture or accessory that could be used in a different way.


    2 celcius here today , but still a lot of snow on the ground. Must get out & shovel some shushly snow from the driveway before it freezes again into a "skating rink".

    Jenna Carr thanked Lainie D'Eon
  • 11 years ago

    I will definitely do that. It is hard looking back @ long discussions

    If I lived closer I would go help you shovel. :)

  • 11 years ago
    Natalie - I'm going to email you again!!! I have a question re: the pillows. Haven't had time to get the new dilemma started... Hopefully soon! :) thanks everyone - have a good weekend!
  • 11 years ago
    I started a new dilemma for the decorating. It's called
    PLEASE help me decorate!!!
  • 11 years ago
    Hi Natalie & Zaz - been thinking about both of you!!! I know that you're very busy - just wanted to say hi & tell you that I ordered a new rug for my living room & lantern for my foyer. Pottery Barn had free shipping. Not sure if it's the right decisions. Still need pillows & ceiling fan for the living room. Oh... And to paint the fireplace. Hope you are both doing well!!
  • 11 years ago

    Hi Jenna! :) I love that rug. :) I like the lantern, but I liked your foyer light already. Lol :) You're home is very nice, don't think you can go wrong with your choices. Maybe Natalie will pop in with her thoughts. :) Thanks for popping in to say Hi! I appreciate your kindness and thoughtfulness. Btw, if you love your choices...... then it's the right decision. Take care Jenna, hope to speak again soon. Have a fantastic night! :)

  • 11 years ago
    You're so sweet Zaz. Thank you for all that you do. Take care & find me on Houzz when you get a chance as I've enjoyed all of your posts & help. Everyone is always trying to help me & I do appreciate it - can't say that enough.
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks Jenna. You are too kind, really. :) I think we all love helping you. I'm really glad you are pleased with the outcome, and it's only going to get better from here. Can't wait to see more. I will definitely stick with you and try to help you if I can for as long as you need help.....I promise. It has been my pleasure. :)

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you Zaz!!!
  • 11 years ago
    You're very welcome Jenna. Have a great night! :)
  • 11 years ago

    Hi Jenna---

    How are you? I'm great, busy, but great!

    I LOVE the rug! It's Gorgeous... The light is very nice too-will have to see after it's installed. I really was in favor of some sort of curved/circular light fixture as to soften the linear shapes/angles, but you never know-the one you've selected could be perfect... Please, post some pics when you get a chance. I look forward to hearing from you. xoxo :)

  • 11 years ago
    Hi Natalie. I have another dilemma - sorry I know you've been very busy. You can see it @ PLEASE help me decorate. I have pictures posted & idea book is updated. It's been stressful on me as I have a big variety in taste. Thank you - I do appreciate it.. I feel like I will never get it right! I ordered a new settee for the foyer also you can see it there. THANK You bunches & bunches!!! Try to take a break. Hugs...
  • 11 years ago
    Jenna, regarding your homesickness and remote feeling in Louisiana- In the early mid-80's we moved to an even more remote part of the state than you are in now. We moved from a great northern well-populated state to Natchitoches. There wasn't even a freeway close by. We had to drive more than an hour for anything more than the basics.

    However, I learned to love the people, culture and have fond memories of our time there. I decided that if I had to live so far from 'home' that I would make the most of it. I am now an excellent Cajun cook, thanks to my southern friends. I sometimes watch 'Steel Magnolias' just to take me back to that quaint city and time because it was filmed there. I still stay in touch with friends we made there.

    Make the most of it! I'm sure you will find many things that will interest and inform you too! Enjoy!
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you Cheriealford. You're too sweet. I'm so glad that you have such wonderful memories of Louisiana and I love watching Steel Magnolia's. It's in my top favorites. I have actually lived here all of my life. I named my dilemma homesick meaning I'm sick of my home. lol. I bet you know how to cook a great gumbo!!!! :) thank you for checking in - I enjoyed your post.