Software
Houzz Logo Print
vcaston

To traditional, maybe???

12 years ago
just purchased tables and rugs for my family room ...but thought I was going for a contemporary transitional and it looks like its going in to traditional...what can I do to jazz it up a bit especially becuase I'm stuck. with what I've already purchased

Comments (21)

  • 12 years ago
    So, I have those same blue ikat pillows, but I've got a green sectional, and I've added orange and teal pillows, too. I think to make it feel more "modern traditional" you should pull in a few more colors in pillows,throws, etc. (excuse the lighting)
  • 12 years ago
    Hmm... Maybe add some color or texture to the wall that's on the left behind the couch.

    Adding a teal color to that wall would sort of loop the couch into the flow of the rug.
    Or if you see yourself getting tired of the rug, maybe a black or gray paint wall?

    I'd probably try a white and silver paintable paper there...

    Anis Wallpaper · More Info


    And if that doesn't add enough pizazz, maybe try a textured paper...

    Inhabit Drift Wall Flats Set of 10 · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Can you post some different pictures of the room like from the other side...
  • 12 years ago
    You could add a round glass top to the wood table for a dressy look
    V Lawson thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I think what you have looks great, but if you wanted to inject a brighter color, you could find some art for the wall that incorporates the blue plus another color.
    V Lawson thanked ptmatthews
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    The room needs more than the stereotypical ''pops'' of color. Window treatments with some pattern and texture and repainting the walls with some actual color will bring it togther. And artwork. Every home needs artwork.
    V Lawson thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Turn sectional sofa around to face windows, then use windows as feature plus colour on walls. Darker blinds may help it feel cosier...and blend back coffee table. Good start with nice sectional.
    V Lawson thanked jenelle40
  • 12 years ago
    Love your rug! Did you get it from joss and main?
    V Lawson thanked beachlily
  • 12 years ago
    Looks like a great start toward transitional to me.

    Contemporary art behind couch with some orange in it.
    V Lawson thanked rosiegabby
  • 12 years ago
    I really like what you have so far. Love the sectional. If you can face it toward the windows, then I would. It looks a bit like it's shoved into the corner. It is a big piece of furniture. I think you need curtains that go almost floor to ceiling, maybe with some big hardware to draw your eye upward. Agree that you need to add a few things to the wall - and introduce another color or two. You could do that through wall decor or curtains. The sectional, pillows, and rug are great!
    V Lawson thanked Ann Slatter
  • 12 years ago
    here are a different angle, I have 18ft ceilings on the wall of windows so definitely drapes.
    love the comment about textured paint and will add bookshelves to the niches...what's a good color to add?
  • 12 years ago
    the rug is zgallerie! the sectional is custom ordered broyhill.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I love your rug and our sectional. I think what the issue is that you have a lot of cool colors: whites and blues…so a pop of something warm would be nice. I love adding adding greens (perhaps in a live plant) and a pop of orange. Find a piece of art you love and pull colors from there. I think one of the issues you have is that your TV is mounted way too high. It might be best to utilize the niches for open shelves and have the TV be put in the one of the niches on a swivel. Mount it so that it is at an appropriate eye level and hide the cords.
  • 12 years ago
    I also love the sectional and rug. It will be a beautiful room.
  • 12 years ago
    Where did you get the sectional?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    nice sectional and rug! I would suggest adding a printed throw pillow to break the hues a little. Consider a center table with a glass top to make it more of a modern feel. Adding some curtains to the room with a decorative curtain rod would also soften up your living room. Good luck!
    V Lawson thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think you've done a wonderful job so far, and you've also gotten some great suggestions above!
    I recommend eliminating the throw pillows that came with your sectional-- let your other (new) beautiful pillows stand alone! :)
    I have put together a vision board for you with some ideas that would look great in your space. Good luck with your decorating, and have fun! :)
    V Lawson thanked What's Inside Design Ltd.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    The room looks good, you can bring in art in the style you want, it will certainly add interest and, perhaps, additional colors. Here are a few ideas and you can visit our page for more. Enjoy!... Raisa
    Yucca Plant Leaves Abstract by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info

    Painted By Water And Light, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info

    Panoramic City Reflection, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info

    Multicolored Fractured Reality, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info

    Triple Perspective, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info
    V Lawson thanked It's a Beautiful World!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Coffee table needs updating, scatter cushions could be replaced with more exciting s metallic and textured fabrics, plus add abstract contemporary art work to the walls, sculptures on pedestals. Can't see the rest of the room, lighting will play a major part in achieving a contemporary feel.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi. Consider curtains on all the windows. Something similar in color to the wall color. If you are on a budget, iron on a 1" trim in one of the blue colors to the leading edges, to jazz up the room.