Software
Houzz Logo Print
monicabaker

Red Couch!

12 years ago
I just acquired this red couch from a neighbor who didn't want it anymore. The tag is worn out so I can't determine manufacturer. Any guesses as to when it was made? I think it'll look great in my soon-to-be white minimalist/mid century modern/art deco living room. What do you think?

Comments (47)

  • 12 years ago
    I too think it will look great;) and I am not into midcentrymodern;))
    monicabaker thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Does this seem like an older couch or just a newer one with that type of look?
  • 12 years ago
    Congratulations! It will look great in any color.
    monicabaker thanked jlballa
  • 12 years ago
    Very fun. I think it looks like an older piece. Perhaps a vinyl or naugahyde (sp?) sofa.
    monicabaker thanked karielen
  • 12 years ago
    lucky!!!
    monicabaker thanked Sally Wyatt
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yes It will look great in your living room.
    monicabaker thanked Eskandari Stone
  • 12 years ago
    I had one just like it but in turquoise growing up. I'm guessing 50's
    monicabaker thanked bschr
  • 12 years ago
    I think it may be from an old company with "spring and/or coil" in the name. My grandparents had a similar sofa and I think it had a label that said "spring ??? coil" or something like it. Does this help?
    monicabaker thanked gturner805
  • 12 years ago
    What a deal! You are truly lucky to have this for your room. Have fun with it and all the design options it gives you!
    monicabaker thanked abbyjean
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Looks so much like the sofa I have in my lr....Jefferson sofa by Thrive. You are so lucky!!
    monicabaker thanked sstarr93
  • 12 years ago
    Woo Hoo - Pull out the flokati rug and the fake fur throws ! You've got the early 70's look now ! What fun !
    monicabaker thanked bprince300
  • 12 years ago
    I am guessing it is from the 1960's. It should be great in a white room. Make sure you get a nice modern painting or art work with some red in it to pull it together.
    monicabaker thanked joansahmed
  • 12 years ago
    I would buy it from you in a heart beat if it doesn't work out for you. LOVE,LOVE,LOVE it. not quite a true red, kind of a pink red. Great in a mid centry home.Can't begin to put down all the things that could be done with it, how to accesorise. My head is spinning! Please post pictures of what you come up with. Mid's are my passion. Have fun.
    monicabaker thanked talithia
  • 12 years ago
    If it does not work out for you, I would buy it in a heartbeat!!!! Love, love, love it!
    monicabaker thanked talithia
  • 12 years ago
    Red is cool!
    monicabaker thanked keenplanner
  • 12 years ago
    I thought perhaps it might be Flexsteel, but theirs doesn't have the T cushions on the seat. Very similar, though. Yours will still look great in a mid century modern setting. Great find!!! :-)
    monicabaker thanked Deanna
  • 12 years ago
    Love the shape and color. Is it missing the back cushions. Seat looks extra deep and back looks very flat. Would be fabulous to know the history.
    monicabaker thanked hmariebrown
  • 12 years ago
    If you can find a serial number, you could check it with a collector's site. If not, if the cushions look flat and "lived in," it might be vintage. If fluffy, it could be a repro. Do the screws look old or new? Any evidence of glue or other more contemporary construction methods? Regardless, it's beautiful!
    monicabaker thanked jdd3612
  • 12 years ago
    Love it and I am so not mid century....to close to my childhood. I would put it in a room totally out of character. Lots of blue, nautical, eclectic maybe even primitive. You have so many choices, Iwould take it in a heart beat, lucky you!
    monicabaker thanked maryannelooby
  • 12 years ago
    Like Maryannelooby, I too am not a fan and for the same reasons but this couch makes me absolutely vibrate with ideas! What a find!
    monicabaker thanked walnuttown
  • 12 years ago
    Late 50's early 60's
    monicabaker thanked jaguargrowl
  • 12 years ago
    Jealous, jealous, jealous! In the spring/summer, accessorize tables with red & yellow gerbera daisies; in fall, change out for warm tweed & buttoned throw pillows in browns/deep yellows; in the winter add some rich, deep greens/golds. Oh, the possibilities are endless!
    monicabaker thanked Delora Dickey
  • 12 years ago
    You are in possession of a classic mid-century modern style sofa. Whether vintage or modern, it will be right at home in your mid-century modern décor. It's impossible to tell the manufacturer or the age from the photograph, but if you turn the sofa over and detach a portion of the bottom covering (usually this will be a black cloth), there may be a label on the inside bottom of the sofa. This will also give you an opportunity to examine the quality of the sofa's structure to help determine its age. Regardless, this is a nice-looking piece of furniture, and you certainly can't argue with the cost! BTW, even if the sofa is not real leather, don't despair... Naugahyde was just coming into vogue in the 50's and 60's, and much high-quality furniture was upholstered in this "new" faux leather.
    monicabaker thanked Dea
  • 12 years ago
    It's a very standard design, and since it appears upholstered in Naugahyde, it is probably from a commercial line, which means Extra Sturdy. I have a similar club chair in black with nail-head trim. If you get any cuts or tears in the Naugahyde, it can be patched. I recommend a professional, unless you're super crafty and don't mind risking the look.

    One particular detail sets apart high quality from average: whether the legs are part of the frame (high end) or if they were attached later or are detachable by unscrewing.
    monicabaker thanked stevedenver
  • 12 years ago
    Uh...there's a good reason why that neighbor didn't want that red couch! But, check to see if it's a mid-century find, some people really like that blast from the past, one of them isn't me though.
    monicabaker thanked diyer59
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Well, I once found an authentic Art Deco chandelier, perfect condition, on the curb in my neighborhood, so sometimes there's no accounting for why people give things up. This is a good basic piece. Just do a Houzz or Google search for "red couch" and browse for ideas on how to decorate around it. Have fun!
    monicabaker thanked PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
  • 12 years ago
    This style sofa will go well with Danish Modern as well. The dark walnut color of some of the Danish Modern wood will make that red sofa stand out in the crowd! (I'm just a bit envious of your acquisition.) Somehow all my curbside finds have run to lawn mowers and vacuum cleaners, both of which have "WORK" written all over them!
    monicabaker thanked Dea
  • 12 years ago
    Lucky you!
    monicabaker thanked joverstreet21
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    i would throw a white sheep skin on the back and do black n white pillows im just sayinlol
    monicabaker thanked kayla's korner
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    End the "Nauga Slaughter" ! Have you no conscience?
    monicabaker thanked Billionaire Productions
  • 12 years ago
    (Welcome to HOUZZ, BIllionaire -( PS your paintings are a bit too unpretentious - when do we get to see them?)
  • 12 years ago
    well... I wil added probably some different colorfull pillows and use for my garage partys...
    monicabaker thanked Francisco Fernando Alamillo
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    ucan see my paintings at www.facebook.com/artbybill just type this whole url
  • 12 years ago
    Love it a lot. What a lucky acquisition. Congrats. Not a furniture expert so can't help you there, but if you love it, that's all that matters.
    monicabaker thanked jklb1950
  • 12 years ago
    Wouldn't this glass and wood coffee table look great with your sofa! Whoo-hoo! Lucky, lucky you!
    monicabaker thanked Em Bee
  • 12 years ago
    That's the kind of neighbor to have! Lucky you!!
    monicabaker thanked kpappal
  • 12 years ago
    My mother always said everything can be beautiful in the right place, if is a sofa you can work with congrats, I have a red leather sofa from Salvation Army I bought some beautiful pillows from Pier 1 in red and golds and a great rug, you do what you can with what you have.If you are happy with it, who cares what everybody else thinks about it right?
    monicabaker thanked houston2012
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Looks vintage ,mid century perfect,as is.great deal....
    monicabaker thanked pivot Coastal
  • 12 years ago
    Reminds me of a joke my uncle used to say when he was ready for dinner
    "I'm so hungry I could eat the hyde off a Nauga" OMG! I guess i'm showing my age!
    monicabaker thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Total score!!!!!!!
    monicabaker thanked russianbaroness
  • 12 years ago
    I had a red couch and I loved it - just replaced it with a very pricey brown couch...did I say boring!
    monicabaker thanked foreverfarm11
  • 12 years ago
    Great couch! But I would leave out some Art Deco since the style was long before minimalist and mid-century mod. I love Art Deco but use it sparingly. Once my mid-cent sofas arrive my room will be nearly finished. And yes, I do have some AD in form of glassworks. Enjoy the process. It's frustratingly satisfying.
    monicabaker thanked kylen2350
  • 12 years ago
    You can ask an advice to : https://www.facebook.com/RetroCite or send an email : retrocite@outlook.com with a picture. They're specialists of this era!
    monicabaker thanked Marie Brais
  • 12 years ago
    IKEA accessories works great too... They have a lot of that retro look
    monicabaker thanked salvelse
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Terrific find. So many possibilities!!
    monicabaker thanked LB Interiors
  • 11 years ago

    Monicabaker: any "after" pics, yet? Pics of this beauty in its new home?