Software
Houzz Logo Print
brian_martin9434

Off center light fixture

12 years ago
The picture shows my light fixture in the dining room. The problem is that the light fixture is off center over the table. Obviously we cannot just move the light over because it fits in the circle. We are doing a reno and now is the time to address this issue, but moving the light would entail redoing the textured ceiling finish, which my husband doesn't want to do. What about a ceiling platform in the shape of a rectangle (my table is rectangle shaped) to hide the circle? Or changing the light to something more flush so the off center problem is not so noticeable? Currently the light hangs low over the table. I have no more ideas! The fact that it is off center by one foot drives me crazy. Moving the table is not an option due to space constraints.

Comments (9)

  • 12 years ago
    Adding a decorative rectangle is an excellent solution.
  • 12 years ago
    You can buy ceiling medallions in many sizes at big box stores. I've done this when dealing with this issue in the past.
  • 12 years ago
    Ingy7, that's a great idea too. As long as it's big enough to cover the circle, I could hide it and shift the light to the right. Oh, thank you to houzz. My husband will be so pleased he won't have to destroy his textured ceiling. Thanks for your replies, everyone. It is appreciated!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Yes to the medallion idea:)
    Ceiling Medallions White Urethane, 25.63" Diameter · More Info
  • 10 years ago

    I inadvertently "lost" a conversation
    on this same subject this past weekend -- didn't note her name. That
    lady didn't want a swag. She had two different ceiling levels in her
    great room. I tried to find that thread but could not. Was that you?

    To center an overhead light that is not centered where you want it
    you may need to create a faux ceiling -- a shallow square wood box only
    deep enough add a new box between the box and the ceiling to be attached
    below the existing ceiling. This box would be placed in the center of
    the new location where you want the light fixture and the new light
    fixture would be affixed to the center of that box.

    The box would need to be large enough to cover any indication on the
    ceiling that the original light fixture was at a different place and,
    preferably, it would need to be at least as wide as your new light
    fixture.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I don't have two different ceiling levels, so it wasn't me. But while I'm on here, I will attach a photo of what was done to fix our light problem. The ceiling was scraped down into an oval to conceal the circle and we bought an oval shaped light fixture.The flat ceiling paint in the oval matches the flat finish that surrounds the ceiling around the room and joining the kitchen, so it worked out well.

  • 10 years ago
    I too have this problem times three. The light over the table is off center the light above the bar is off center and the recessed lighting in the cooking area is centered in that space. So far I have done nothing because I have no idea how to solve the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I don't think you are going to solve the problem by changing to a flush fixture.

    If you choose to provide a new rectangular area below the existing ceiling, I might suggest that you differentiate that rectangular area by, say, giving it a smooth texture to contest with the of the larger ceiling, and perhaps build a reveal around the perimeter to make it appear as if that lowered rectangular area is not connected to the main ceiling, i.e., it appears to float below it, so the design looks purposeful, rather than as an afterthought to solve an unforeseen problem. The size (length and width) and proportion of that lowered rectangular area ideally should be related to the size and proportions of the table below.

    I hope things work out for you as hoped.