Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
htht2014

Where to put microwave?

htht2014
9 years ago
Originally it will be where in the first pic. Now I was told that it would stick out. How deep is normal top cabinets? What shall I do?

Comments (48)

• PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    Could you post a floor plan?

Is this a remodel?

Upper cabinets are 12" deep.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    Most microwave units are designed to fit within that 12" depth.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago
    We have not seen any microwaves that will fit in 12" deep cabinets, but they might exist. We generally use custom sized cabinets that are 15" -17" deep depending on microwave dimensions. Deep cabinets would not work well in the location where you have the MW. You might want to look into reworking the base cabinet on the far right and use it for a MW.
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi PPF, yes, it is a remodel. New cabinets and new everything.
  • PRO
    Kelley Bridwell
    9 years ago
    Several companies make a microwave drawer, I would put it in the lower cabinets of the peninsula.
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I haven't had any luck finding a microwave that fit in the 12" top cabinet. My husband asks to have the microwave to be at eye level so lower cabinet is not an option. :(
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ppf, sorry that I do not have a floor plan.
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Can I make the top cabinet 14-16 inch deep?
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    9 years ago
    there are often 15 inch deep upper cabinets available.
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    sstarr, thank you.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    9 years ago
    it depends on the brand of cabinetry and the particular unit....
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    I'd do a small microwave that will fit nicely in the top.
    Buena Vista House · More Info
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sstarr, I am having custom made cabinetry so it should be no problem. Thanks!
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Can't find one fit in 12" cabinet.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    Most logical place is left of the sink. Cabinet could be deeper without conflict, but unsure if the space is wide enough.
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Is drawer microwave convenient to use? Husband
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    >>> Is drawer microwave convenient to use? Husband

Only if you are 3 feet tall.

It might also go at the end of the peninsula. An upper cab could be deeper there recessed into the wall.

This would be easier if we had a plan instead of elevations.

How does the oven wall relate to the sink wall?
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The walls are opposite to each other.
  • juudean
    9 years ago
    We were also dubious about a microwave drawer but it is so much bigger, and easier to see into from above. My 6' husband has no issue with it, and an upper cabinet m-wave was going to be a challenge for me...5'2". The reason we want with the drawer was so that it didn't stick out like a sore thumb on the counter.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    What you really need to be thinking about is not how to fit something in, but instead, "how will I use the kitchen", and then design the space to fit you.

You show a nice symmetrical layout for the stove wall, but I would prefer a larger space to the left as a prep area, and a much smaller space on the right. Looks like 54" of cabinets total, split that into a 15" drawer stack and a 39" cabinet, for example.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    A long long time ago i had MW on counter. Didn't particular like it there but was totally accessible and convenient, but it did stick out. In hind sight, i would've kept it there but built a appliance garage for it
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I thought of that too Curt. A very small microwave (they come very small now for about $60) on the counter is not an awful solution. Who uses a microwave for cooking? It's heating coffee and last night's leftovers. :)
  • PRO
    Sequins
    9 years ago
    Normally it's convenient to place the microwave next to the refrigerator. Increasing the depth of all cabinets will raise the cost of the project. instead the cabinet above microwave shelf cabinet is 12" deep with 18" deep shelf below to place the microwave on.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    Although Sequins 3rd pic above is plausible i don't like it because i know me for sure, i.e. before i can open up the above cabinets everything on MW will need to be moved to countertop first....I'm never going to be a role model for orderiness
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    In my old kitchen my microwave was straight on the counter. I like having it at waist height, but it took up too much space and there wasn't enough around it to put things. In the new kitchen, I put it diagonally across the corner of the counter, and it's perfect! Plenty of space in front and in back for ventilation. It solves the "what to do with the corner" problem and as a bonus, hides most of the seam in the countertop. My countertops are 38", so it doesn't seem low. I'm too much of a klutz to have it higher than shoulder level.
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Juudean, thank you so much! My husband seems to like the microwave drawer idea!
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Anybody has used the microwave drawer for a while? Is the quality good? Thanks!
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ppf, the stove wall has entrance on both sides, so not possible to expand beyond them.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    Microwave drawer info here on houzz https://www.houzz.com/photos/microwave-drawer-phbr0lbl-bl~l_39444

These are fairly expensive starting around $500 with the mid point being closer to $1000.

As with any built in, I would be concerned about repairs and eventual replacement.

I was not suggesting you expand the stove wall cabinets, simply consider offsetting the stove to provide a larger counter on one side.

Being right handed, I like to work to the left of the stove, and generally cook left to right. Counter space right of my stove almost never gets used.
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ppf, what about above the stove? The range will move too and I do not like uneven display that much. Sorry :D. That's just me. I have prep station on one side of the sink wall but it is not shown here.
  • Amy Clark
    9 years ago
    I believe I have just purchased the same microwave drawer that juddean has (Sharp) for our kitchen that we are renovating. I read somewhere that you may have to cut the back board of the cabinet out so it will sit flush, as it is about 1/2" deeper than a standard depth counter. When shopping for a microwave, you can go online and find the specifications and exact sizes of the microwave you are considering, which saves time, money and guesswork.
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you!
  • Beverly Harrah
    9 years ago
    Please do not place in upper cabinets,nor above cooktop. My eye is drawn exactly to that appliance.
    Other options: 1. Lower cabinet but that my not be possible in your case.
    2. Island 3. Pantry
    Consider how often it really is used.
  • juudean
    9 years ago
    Please check out reviews on Amazon.com for the Sharp drawer...I went ahead and bought one anyway ( got a discount from Sears since I was buying all my appliances at once). It is not your regular microwave so I can live with the slow door action, having to cover food so it doesn't splatter (duh...), and the timer beep when it's done. Have only had it for 4 months so too soon to tell on reliability. It was this, or putting the microwave in the laundry room, or going without one entirely. Good luck!
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @Beverly Harrah
    Thank you. I think very likely we will go with the microwave drawer.
  • Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    Normal upper cabinets are 12" deep. The style in the first pic is a 12" deep cabinet with an 18" deep adjustable shelf that the micro sits on. Different microwaves are very different depths so the cabinet may depend on your selection.
  • PRO
    Custom Craft Builders
    9 years ago
    Ditch the range hood for a shortened upper cabinet with an "over the range microwave" below. I say this not because I like the look of a microwave over a range, but rather it looks like you are already limited on upper cabinet space. Over the range would give you a nice big cabinet above and give you back the space where your microwave is designed to fit at the moment.
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I have an over range microwave now and i so hated it. It is so close to the stove, also I cook Asian stir fry a lot, and it is not powerful enough for me. :-(
  • einportlandor
    9 years ago
    I had a similar dilemma and ultimately opted to skip the microwave entirely. It's been over a year now and I seldom miss it -- heat leftovers in a skillet and defrost meat in a pan of water, just like mom used to do. Worth considering.
  • helixg1
    9 years ago
    If you could work a wall oven into your design and put microwave on shelf above oven, that might be a solution . That is where mine is and it works great for us.
  • Melissa Freeman
    9 years ago
    I have an over the range microwave. It turns out my cabinet maker made the one cabinet above it to match the depth of the microwave (which I just noticed now)
    He gave me a bid & we agreed, I never put that much thought into it.

Maybe you can just have the cabinet above the microwave deeper.
  • hazeldazel
    9 years ago
    keep in mind that all microwave drawers are manufactured by Sharp (regardless of what brand is on it), so there's no point in paying hundreds more for a different brand.

Microwave drawers are great because you don't have to reach up and they open from the top so you don't have to bend down.
  • PRO
    (Lynn Goodwin) McAdams Remodeling & Design LLC
    9 years ago
    One of my favorites to use is the Sharp R 1214 which is called an over the counter microwave. It mounts directly under your cabinet without a mounting kit and even has lights below.
  • htht2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you everybody! I went to a local appliance store and looked at the microwave drawer. I really liked it! I did also found a GE microwave that is 12" deep ($369), but my husband and I both found the sharp microwave drawer more attractive to our kitchen setting.
    @hazeldazel thank you for letting me know that all the mW drawers are made by sharp!
  • Viorica Cifelli
    9 years ago
    We have a sharp drawer one for 3 yrs we love it!
  • Viorica Cifelli
    9 years ago
    Sharp was the only manufacturer of the drawer 3 yrs ago that I heard of
  • Amy Clark
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We used a microwave drawer in the base cabinet and absolutely love it!!! Just check the depth of the microwave drawer some are 1/2"-3/4" deeper than you base cabinets...

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design