Software
Houzz Logo Print
drajuliana

Need help with my living room

14 years ago
We`ve just bought this house and have no idea how to place the furniture in the living room, which is large but with many separated ambients. Help me!

Comments (8)

  • 14 years ago
    I don't know what is next to the black chairs? Is it another room with a burnt orange sofa? First I think the placement isn't awful--but you definately need accessories to complete the look.The rug probably needs to go--something like a 8 by 10 in a contemporary print and a large canvas art above the sofa. Start with the art and go from there. Add pillows, accessories on the table--even if it is a book that you place there. Accent pillows on the black chairs. A table runner that coordinates between the two rooms would help. And you will probably have to change the paint color in the white sofa room--you don't notice the nice molding as much and the sofas don't stand out--looks all white.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Good idea, Maureen.
    @drajuliana, I think Maureen's got some great ideas-- definitely right about the paint. You'd be surprised how much a bold color can add to the mood of a space. It looks like you've got sort of tuscan look going; I'd say a turquoise would be a pretty great hue for your new living room! And if you can find a low hutch/ dresser that you like, grab it! You can place it in your foyer, behind the couch. The dilemma isn't so much about rearranging the living room furniture, as it is about defining the empty foyer space, and tying it all together with some great paint colors! Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you for all the suggestions! I really appreciated. But you could forget this furniture. It isn`t mine. The living room was right this way when I got it, but now we`re gonna get some new. I will be totally starting from scratch on this room, so treat it as a blank slate!
  • 14 years ago
    you should start with a graph paper grid. measure out the room as if you are viewing over head and place the furniture one square equals one feet. taking into consideration walk ways. don't forget yr lighting plan, ambient and task
  • 14 years ago
    What stle are you gravitating towards??
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    How will you use this space - entertaining, TV, lounging, etc.??? I suspect that there's an echo in this room, so textiles will be important. Start with the area rug(s), & let that be your inspiration for the room. I too see LARGE Canvas artwork on that blank wall over the current sofa. Perhaps dramatic pendant lights on either side of the sofa over the end tables. The dining area also needs a great chandalier. Learn from these pics that the foyer needs a much heavier presence than the current glass & iron sofa table - a long chest would be a better choice. I'd like a better view of what's next to the window on the right...seems like a bookcase currently, which is a good choice to balance out the window. The window wall needs 2 chairs & an ottoman, light enough to pull into the conversation area...I see leather for these. It's also possible that these 2 chairs could be permanently a part of the conversation area & a heavy-ish sofa table with tall lamps under the window - it's hard to tell from this perspective. The sofa placement is fine as long as you don't need that wall for a TV. Just don't do a matching loveseat opposite of it - I would do a matching sofa (be careful of the lengths though)

    In essence, it depends on how you want the room to "feel" & how you will use it. But, most importantly, start with the ground up by first selecting your area rugs & go from there for your color palette. And whatever you do with accessories, think LARGE ....no dinky stuff. And DEFINITELY consider a lighting plan for all these areas.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    What is your style and the function of the space would help.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    If you would like LARGE Canvas art work please check out my shop at http://geezees.com/ i would love to help you come up with something nice for your room.