Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmacnamara

Sofas with white slipcovers - good or bad idea?

nmacnamara
9 years ago
I love the vintage/cottage/shabby chic look of sofas with relaxed but made to order white canvas or duck slipcovers. Can anyone out there who has actually lived with white slip covered sofas tell me how they work in real life? So they always look filthy? Are the slipcovers easy to remove and put back on? Do they wash well, or do you need to take them to a professional cleaner? Thank you

Comments (3)

• Diane Finn
    9 years ago
    I have had a white slip covered sofa for several years. It is made of white canvas duck, cotton. If it gets dirty I throw it in the washing machine with a cup of bleach and detergent and it comes out beautiful every time. I have two cats and a dog and that's the beauty of being able to take it off and wash it, even though I don't allow them on the furniture, they are sometimes sneaky and do it anyways. Little buggers. Anyway I love it and have just hired a company to slip cover my two club chairs to go with it and can't wait till they are done.
  • Becky Gilliam
    8 years ago

I've had pure white denim slipcovers on 3 sofas in a vacation home in Palm Springs for 15 years. I love them! As dianefinn said, I simply remove them when dirty, put some oxyclean and/or bleach on them and they come out looking great. (They look better than the khaki Pottery Barn sleeper sofa I purchased at the same time for the den.)

I highly recommend them.

• PRO
    Doris Wright
    8 years ago
    I am a total sucker for this look. To me it is warm and inviting and certainly brightens any room. Versatile to change the look with accent pillows etc... Go for it!