Software
Houzz Logo Print
sergio1010

New home

12 years ago
Recently purchased a new home. Great space but looking to COMPLETELY change the interior! Flooring, cabinets, fixtures, painting, anything you coult think of. Looking for a more modern ,clean look. Perhaps a dark a dark wood floor? Please add any photos for ideas or input of your own!

Comments (13)

  • 12 years ago
    I agree with beachlily. Sell now, and find something you do like.
  • 12 years ago
    We bought a new home also & looking for tips. It's not that I don't like anything , but everything needs to be updated
  • 12 years ago
    I recommend this blog: http://www.younghouselove.com/. Their hallway before and after was very impressive.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    A great location with good bones and at the right price can make a complete renovation completely worth it! Don't be deterred!

    Of course extensive renovation is not for the faint of heart- that's why I would recommend reaching out to a Professional to work with you. They will process your love and hates and help you create the home of your dreams (eventhough it started out far from it).

    I personally love the bones of the living room and can definitely see the potential of opening the spaces up for a great modern floor plan. Of course on site consults from a professional would be needed to confirm distribution of load baring walls.

    Seems like you have tons of options. Ask yourself- what type of modern homes do you like? Show us some pictures of things you love, this is the best place to start. Rustic Modern? Classical Modern? Post Modern? Eclectic?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    don't listen to others. You will never buy what you like 100%, you can only achieve it yourself

    1) do you want to have tiles in a foyer? if so you need to upgrade them. i have a similar one in one of projects. i attached a picture for inspiration (look at mirror and chandelier)
  • 12 years ago
    2014diane - wow, a new floor and paint goes a long way. Looks wonderful and much larger.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    2) dining room we need more pictures.
    from what i see u need ether wall murals or mirror and console. I attached 2 sample that can be good for wall murals
    and of cores u need a bigger lamp and modern sett
  • 12 years ago
    I totally get where you are going with this. All the stuff is builder's basic. The layout is nice. I agree that a plan is going to save you a lot of money in the long run; you are looking at a serious cash layout to change floor, light fixtures, cabinets.

    Are you looking to DIY? Do you want it done quickly or plan to tackle it in sections? What's the first priority? I'm guessing the kitchen???? Or can you get it all done prior to move in, which I'd highly recommend if you can swing it.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    My first thought was to open up the wall between the dining room and living room. Whether that can be done or how much can be changed depends upon whether or not it's a load bearing wall. If it is, there are still creative concepts that an experienced contractor could help you develop.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    HI -- OK everybody ... just because they want to change the interior doesn't mean they don't like the house and need to buy something else . Everyone wants to make their places their own . Congratulations on your new to you house , by the way !!! Lots of potential here and I really like the living room space and not too fond of that dining room -very dated and country style . I hate wainscoting like that ! Start a book or binder to save ideas and colors and so on and to keep receipts and business cards , whatever that applies to your project . To start remove everything that you don't like as soon as you have the things to replace them with. Start your ideabook here on Houzz that will help a lot . And then you can also ask the rest of us if you dare .. ha ha ! Just one thing first off ... very dark floors are starting to go out ... wide plank wood floors more in a natural or medium tone or aged grey , are what is popular now . Very dark floors look nice but are a lot of work keeping them dusted . Have a look at one of my fav web sites ..... houseandhome.com -- and look at the Princess Margaret Show houses ,.. they always show the newest décor and interiors .
  • 12 years ago
    I didn't mean that this new house can't be renovated to make you happy...of course it can! Maybe it's because having recently gone through major renovation myself, I know how stressful it can be. I leave the design ideas to the pros and wish you good luck with all your alterations. Please post the pictures.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry for the inconvenience . I meant i love the space, i see alot with the house. Just looking for ideas (: