Software
Houzz Logo Print
barabashova

Am I crazy to have black hardware in a white kitchen???

12 years ago
We are building a house and now that the cabinets are about to be installed, I am having second thoughts about the hardware choices I have made. The perimeter cabinets will be white, and our island will be painted a medium gray. The kitchen itself is pretty large (the island measures 12' x 5'). We will have a 36" fridge and 30" freezer that will be paneled in white. We wanted our appliance handles to match the rest of the hardware, and pickings were rather slim. I ended up going with Top Knobs M629 - T-Shaped Twist Knob, 3 5/8" in Patina Black (mounted vertically for cabinets and horizontally for drawers) and M677 - Twisted Bar Pull for the appliances. I chose a bronze faucet, with a white apron sink. Counters are granite in Vanilla Ice, which is a mix of white, gray and black.

It sounds good in my head, but I am nervous about how it will look in real life. So . . . am I crazy???

Comments (23)

  • 12 years ago
    It should look very nice, and if you decide you don't like it later on, you can always replace them with a different metal.
    barabashova thanked hayleydaniels
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    If your dark gray cabinetry were black, then I would worry about needing contrast and suggest changing the color of hardware. But in your case the black hardware will provide enough contrast on both surfaces to look good.
    barabashova thanked feeny
  • 12 years ago
    I think the hardware will be fine. Do you have anything else bronze to tie in the faucet? My only concern would be that if it is an oil rubbed bronze that looks very dark it might look like you tried to coordinate the hardware but are off. I have no problem with mixing metals in the kitchen, but it's nice to have each metal tie in to something else.
    barabashova thanked intown123
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks, everyone, for your input! Intown, the pendants over the island (which is where the sink is) are the Hicks pendants in bronze and brass.
  • 12 years ago
    Love it! My favorite pendant light actually :)
    barabashova thanked intown123
  • 12 years ago
    hey, that last one has your same pendants! :)))
    barabashova thanked acm
  • 12 years ago
    :) Phew! Thanks so much for relieving my buyer's remorse! :) This is the first time we've built a house and I had no idea how much stress all these decisions would cause. :) And, I totally love the Ansley Park kitchen--I drew a lot of inspiration from it. :)
  • 12 years ago
    Very nice choice. I think it will look great!
    barabashova thanked flyr4fun
  • 12 years ago
    Looks like it will be fine. If you're not sure about cabinet hardware, can you just purchase a couple of knobs/pulls to try? Or, if already purchased, just open the packaging on a few. You can usually return or exchange unopened hardware if you decide you don't love it.
    barabashova thanked flopsycat1
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It should be okay. The black might be a little bold against the white, but since they're incorporated with the design of the grey it will look nice. Plus, the style of the hardware looks intentional. Very nice choice.
    barabashova thanked SoCal Contractor
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I love the look of black hardware on white cabs! It looks very crisp and adds a bit of interest to the space.
    barabashova thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It will look fab. The black will pick up on the Hicks pendants. Move forward!
    barabashova thanked Lindsay MacRae Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You are not crazy at all. I'm sure it will come out beautiful :-)
    barabashova thanked Design Solution Group
  • 11 years ago

    barabashova - how do you like your 36" fridge with your 30" freezer. That's exactly what we're getting. Considering Thermador brand. Which brand did you go with and do you love it? Would you buy it again? Thanks!

    barabashova thanked S What!
  • 11 years ago

    I love my Thermador fridge and freezer! The sizes are perfect for our large family (we have 4 kids). I can fit 5 gallons of milk in our fridge!! I also love the through the door water dispenser, even though we have a separate ice machine that I prefer for ice.


    And, for the record, I love how my kitchen turned out--the black hardware was perfect.


  • 11 years ago

    oh my goodness...that is beautiful!!! Your island is stunning! Thank you for sharing a picture and your opinion on the Thermador! I've considered the ice machine as well, so its nice to know someone who uses it first hand. Thank you! I'm excited about this new huge fridge/freezer now!


    barabashova thanked S What!
  • 11 years ago
    No problem!! I love all my Thermador appliances, especially the freedom induction cooktop!!! Our ice maker is Scotsman. Please let me know if you have any other questions, or I'm also happy to take more pictures.
  • 11 years ago

    you will need to add to this by using more black


    Traditional Kitchen · More Info


    barabashova thanked Geneviève
  • 11 years ago
    I think you are at the inevitable building/ Reno phase where you are looking at the details and second guessing yourself. Have you ever played Trivial Pursuit? Your first guess is usually the correct one. In other words, just pull the kitchen together and relax. This isn't a granite question! I know some hardware can't be returned but you could always sell it on Craig's list - not that I think you will. Good luck.
    barabashova thanked miacometlady
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for your comments, but this is actually an old post that was recently resurrected! We moved into our new home about 6 months ago and I am quite pleased with the way our kitchen turned out. I love the hardware. We thought about painting our island black and I am so glad we ended up with the gray instead as it plays really well off our granite. I am attaching some pictures of our finished kitchen (apologies for the lighting issues!).

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Love the black hardware idea in a white kitchen! I love whenpeople go outside the box! Your kitchen will be stunning and elegant.

    barabashova thanked Design Intervention
  • 11 years ago

    Congratulations!

    I love it :)

    barabashova thanked Geneviève