Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lahansley

Before & After Dining Room Table

Leslie Hansley
9 years ago
I refinished my dining room table using advice from Houzz professionals. The first 2 pics are before and the last 2 are after. I sanded the table with a small sander, added 1 coat of Rustoleum Varathane wood stain in Black Cherry and then 3 coats of Rustoleum Varathane matte polyurethane. The feet are painted with Martha Stewart metallic silver paint. I wanted a contemporary look. The table has 2 leaves tucked under at each end so the table can fit 10 people. I am very happy with the results. Ignore the sliders under the feet. Waiting for help to attach soft pads. Pictures in the background are folk art from South Africa. Buffet is from Pier One and chairs are from Home Goods.

Comments (14)

• bamamom
    9 years ago
    Very nice!!!!!
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    Looks so much better.
  • Leslie Hansley
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Dyetecture: My husband and I are downsizing to a townhouse. I did not think that the table fit into the contemporary look of our new home. Tried to give my kids and nephews the table but no takers. Now that I have made it more contemporary and will take it to our new home, they all want it. So eventually it will be passed on and probably refinished to reflect the times. It's all good.
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    9 years ago
    Looks much better!
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    9 years ago
    Well done nice job ...BTW
    What's the colour on your wall ?
  • dylan111
    9 years ago
    Congrats. You're one of the small minority of people on this site with any with any imagination.
  • flowergardener5
    9 years ago
    sometimes if the "barn door" needs painting, paint it....looks good
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    The new look looks nice, but I loved the way the old table looked with the rest of the room and the wall art.
  • 22feetover
    9 years ago
    I'm usually crazy about wood grain, but I think your new finish looks much more expensive. Is the finish textured? I can't tell on my I-pad. Show us other pieces you've modernized.
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9 years ago
    Looks good!
  • PRO
    Custom Design & Construction
    9 years ago
    Nice job!
  • Leslie Hansley
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Vintage Jazz - sorry for the late response. I was out of the country. Both top and bottom wall paint is Benjamin Moore Aura in eggshell finish. Top color is 1607 Englewood and bottom color is 1608 Ashlande Slate. I used Aura as the original paint was red.
    Let me know if you need more info.
  • Leslie Hansley
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    22feetover - there was various wood grain shadings on the original table that is giving that textured look. Thanks for your comment.