Software
Houzz Logo Print
prettybluesword

Please help me decide on our kitchen granite!

14 years ago
last modified: 14 years ago
My husband and I are remodeling the kitchen and need to decide on our granite. There is a large island surrounded by cabinets and counters. The floor is a neutral tile. The surrounding cabinets are dark brown and the island cabinets will be a burnished black. The granite options are:

(1) the bolder granite for the island with black galaxy on the surrounding countertops; or
(2) the more conservative granite for everything.

We love option (1) but I'm concerned about resale problems (although we will probably be here at least 10 more years). Thanks so much for any input!
Bolder granite
Conservative granite

Comments (28)

  • 14 years ago
    The bold granite is beautiful but would become tiresome and dated quickly in my opinion. I'd go for the more neutral granite as it's a major investment and make an impact with accessories or paint that could be changed easily by you or any future buyer. Good luck on your remodel!
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks! I REALLY appreciate your input.
  • 14 years ago
    the photo on the neutral granite is a too small to see...perhaps repost a larger photo?
  • 14 years ago
    Here a better picture of the "conservative" granite...Again, thanks.
  • 14 years ago
    I lean towards the conservative granite, as I like the idea of matching countertops and island.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    If you were looking at selling in 1 - 2 years, I might give different advice. There is NO way to have ANY idea what styles will be popular in 10 years. Potential buyers may look at EVERYTHING you've put into the kitchen – regardless of which granite you choose – and think it all has to be ripped out. With a ten year horizon, I say redecorate to make yourself happy.

    If you like the bolder choice (I certainly do!), I would go for that. I think it would make a fabulous focal point of the room. You're probably spending a fortune on this remodel. I personally would like to have something that makes people's eyes pop when they walk into your kitchen.

    We just remodeled our kitchen last summer and it came out PERFECTLY. I smile every morning as I leave for work and every night when I go to bed. Don't decorate for some unknown buyer who won't appear for ten years. Choose the granite that, mixed with the other components you've chosen, will make your heart sing when you walk into this room.

    By the way, what IS the bolder granite?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I agree with everything ascharpf said. If you are going to be there for ten years go for option number 1. It is a stunning piece of granite and will give the island a wow factor with the black burnished island. Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    Ascharpf: Beautifully said, you have very good points. It certainly makes sense to decorate for us... not the unknown buyer. I want everything you said, to LOVE it! I am, naturally, scared... It's a BIG decision.

    The sales person told us the granite is called "cosmos". Both granite pieces are considered to be a variation of cosmos.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    When we did our kitchen, one thing that I KNEW I wanted in the granite was "motion." I love the drama of granite. That's why I would never consider quartz. Is motion something you like? Because there is certainly no comparison between the bold and the conservative piece if you do value that quality.

    I also think that it would look better to have two different types of granite since you are having different colors on the woodwork of the surrounding cabinetry vs. the island. If your goal is for the island to look different, well then make it REALLY different. I think if you had the same granite on all the surfaces and a different color of wood on the island, it would look almost like a mistake.

    You're spending way too much money to have the decision focused on making some unknown person happy in the distant future. You have to live with this room for the next ten years. Mull over the options and get what you WANT. Don't settle for what you think will make a buyer happy way down the road.

    You're right about the decisions being scary. A kitchen remodel is a big investment and it is a room you spend a lot of time in. I used PowerPoint and a cheap little program called SnagIt to edit and paste different options together and see what the results would look like. No one would mistake my pictures for professional graphics, but they did help me to make choices that I am really happy with.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I am not a fan of two different countertops, I realize this is just my preference. It makes a kitchen feel choppy to me. I like the second granite better. I like a quieter option for kitchen countertops. The first granite option is beautiful, but more suitable for a fireplace or bar. Good luck with your project. Charmean Neithart
  • 14 years ago
    I did pictures like this. I'll attach three working pictures and the final kitchen. You can see that the pictures I did ahead of time really did help me to get to the final product.

    Maybe if you did something similar, it would help you to make a decision you're happy with. I think that would be more beneficial for you in the long run than paying attention to how people vote in this poll. Because none of us who are voting will ever see your finished kitchen, much less have to live with it.
  • 14 years ago
    Pretty cool tool, I will definitely look into that. Thanks.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I buy granite about twice a month. I prefer slabs with a alot of movement. I had two homeowners last month select level three slabs and when they got cut into 2' depths, they looked like Santa Cecilia - a level one product for thousands less. I wouldn't select a different product for the island unless you paint or stain a different color than the rest of the cabinets.
  • 14 years ago
    I don't usually choose bolder patterns as they drive me a little crazy, but I agree with what has been said:
    1. Pick the one you love most since you have a 10 year window.
    2. The bolder pattern is also the lighter one, and I think all your dark cabinets will look better with some lighter colors in the granite for contrast.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    We agree that the bolder granite would look wonderful as a contrast to the calmer surrounding countertops.
  • 14 years ago
    Did you decide on one of the granites? I'd be interested to know which you chose...
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Do you have pictures of the cabinets and floor? I think the bold granite would definitely give your kitchen the wow factor, and I like the idea of doing it just on the island. I'm not sure though that the Black Galaxy would be a good complement. Have you considered using a light colored granite on the surrounding cabinets? I've seen this done before and it looked fabulous. Whatever you decide I agree with everyone else who said go with what you love if you're going to be in that house for another 10 years. Good luck!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I like option number one with the bolder granite on the Island only. It will make a statement and liven up the space. I like the idea of the island designed separately from
    the other cabinetry as well - much more interesting! Would love to see pictures of the cabinetry to really get a feel in regards to the above comment on the black galaxy, cabinet color will be important. Post when your done!!
  • 14 years ago
    I really appreciate everyone's input. I have since found out that the lighter and more conservative stone is not granite. It is a very brittle stone and difficult to work with for the installers. I will post what kind of stone it is soon. I also found out that the bold stone is MAGMA GOLD.
    We are still working on the final look... I can not post pictures of the cabinets, as we are still waiting for them to be delivered. ~And to make matters more stressful, we can not put in the floors until the kitchen cabinets are put in; it's all in stages. The cabinets would of been ready to install next week, but our daughter graduates in a couple of weeks and did not want the house turned upside down and without a kitchen while the in-laws are in town.
    We are going to go look at the granite yard again in the morning. I had considered a lighter a lighter stone for the outer countertops, but it has been hard to find one that ties in well.
    Thank you everyone. We will keep you posted! ; )
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I don't think I commented a while back when I voted for the Magma Gold. It's wonderful. It's not wild, it just says wow. For me, it puts your kitchen on the "best dressed" list.
  • 14 years ago
    Get what you like the best. In 10 or more years it won't matter because it will be outdated no matter what you pick. Get what you like the best and enjoy it for YOU!
  • 14 years ago
    As much as I love granite #1, the bolder choice, I think you will be happier sticking with Black Galaxy all the way through the kitchen because the island is a work surface and the movement, bold swirling pattern of #1 will make you cross-eyed after trying to chop or stir, make a salad or write a grocery list on it...imagine the activity on the island...food serving space, bringing dishes into the kitchen...a lot of activity and busy-ness on that surface all the time. A plain background is better for those reasons. I have black galaxy in my kitchen and really love it still after 5 years...the hint of sparkle it has is beautiful and compliments the cabinets, it is easy to work on because visually it does not compete with the job I am doing. Choosing granite and tile is so hard because they are all so beautiful...on your own project especially it is hard to see and choose, good luck post pictures for us, sounds like a gorgeous project!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    You will be there for ten years..... Phooey on resale. It's not like you want a built in aquarium!!! Get what you love and enjoy it for the next 3650 plus days!!
    I think the galaxy black on the other counter top will be the perfect foil to the magma gold. I have no problem mixing countertops.
    View my profile, projects- kitchen Gill Rd.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I think it's such a misconception that bold isn't going to sell! Have you ever been to a model home? They don't paint all the walls white and put the most conservative granite on the counters...no! They make it GORGEOUS! You don't want 50 people to come in and go "there is nothing technically wrong with this home," you want one person to walk in and say "Oh my goodness, I can't live without this house!" Unless you are a terrible decorator (and you probably aren't) , go for what looks beautiful and don't worry...someone out there is going to be thrilled to buy a home that is already personalized and gorgeous.
  • 14 years ago
    I love what Granite Grannies said - it is so true! Anyway I am sure you don't need another opinion but here it goes anyway. The two choices are not that much different, the colors look the same, just a bit more color and movement in the bolder choice - I say go for the bold! I think you'll be glad you did in the long run.
  • 10 years ago

    Unless it's a solid color, I think most granites are instantly dated. I'd go for quartz!

  • 10 years ago

    I love the bold granite but am afraid you might get tired of it or it would go out of style sooner.