Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rkelts

Teak Veneer durability

rkelts
12 years ago
This house is wonderful. I also live near the beach and would love to use teak veneer but was discouraged by my contractor who said the maintenance is high. Do you know how durable this material is?
Thank you kindly
Walk Street Entry Porch · More Info

Comments (7)

• motherbear
    12 years ago
    Ext. wood cladding would be boards....not veneer?
  • PRO
    Rockefeller Kempel Architects
    12 years ago
    Thank you. Teak is a durable material in a marine environment, however, as your contractor mentioned, it will require routine maintenance to maintain its finish. Any wood used at the beach will require some level of routine maintenance. It all depends on the intended finished look. Cedar for instance, if left natural will gray over time, but holds up well with little to no maintenance (if you like that grey weathered wood look) The wood you see on this home is in fact Cedar. However we were shooting for a more refined look and chose the appropriate finish to achieve that look. This finished wood look does require routine care. It's been well maintained by the owner and the finish looks as good as it did the day it was installed in 2008.

As an architect it's a pleasure to have clients who care for their homes as well as this particular client does.
  • rkelts
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    It's a stunning home. Thankfully, there are architects as talented as you around. I appreciate this information.
  • PRO
    Rockefeller Kempel Architects
    12 years ago
    We appreciate the comment and will do our best to continue designing exceptional homes. Best of luck with your choice of exterior finishes.
  • PRO
    Rassan Grant
    11 years ago
    Hi there - I'm probably a little late with the question, but what is the installation system used on that wood? What substrate is the wood adhered to, and using what adhesive? I love the look, but don't quite understand how it gets installed on exteriors. For example, we have a great natural stone product we've used on the front of our home - it was installed using a thinset over cement board. But stone doesn't contract like wood does, so it seems that a different way of fixing it must be employed. Thanks very much for your thoughts -
  • Firda Hafiz
    11 years ago
    This house is amazing. This is exactly what I was talking about with my husband. I am from Indonesia and plan to build a house in 300m2 land. And I want my house just like this one. I wish..
Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County