Software
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: What do you think of decorative gourds?

12 years ago
It's that time of year when pumpkins and other colorful squash make their way onto the tables and porches of homes everywhere. Are you a fan of decorative gourds at home?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

A Peek at 2 Prettily Dressed Fall Porches · More Info
Yes - I love it!
No, I don't.
Other - tell us below

Comments (90)

  • 12 years ago
    For the past two years, we've had volunteer plants of the gourds that look like tiny pumpkins. I'm sure we have well over 100 of them this year. It's surprising that the same vine can produce orange and green ones as well as ones that are elongated. When we're done with them, we throw them in the garden area so we'll have more next year. We live near a town that has a big annual pumpkin festival, so of course we have to like them!
  • 12 years ago
    @streator... I'm not a fan either. Don't care for cornstalks, straw bales, bowls of apples, grapevine wreaths, dried flowers, etc. either. LOVE nature, just not nature crafty decor
  • 12 years ago
    Love gourds!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    For indoors, I use faux pumpkins, no worry about deterioration or damage to wood surfaces! I am leaning towards white pumpkins this year (although mantle in photo is fairly traditional colour scheme for fall!)
  • 12 years ago
    I have artificial ones in the house. Last year I bought real pumpkins and gourds for the outside but we got a lot of rain and it all rotted! Stinky!
  • 12 years ago
    I use a mixture of real and artificial - everywhere. I learned the hard way never buy a pumpkin or gourd that has any damage to the skin because it rots fast! Then when the season is over, I take the real pumpkins (at least the ones I don't use to make my fresh pumpkin pies) and gourds and cut them up, throw them in my back flower bed and the squirrels and birds have a fresh feast!
  • 12 years ago
    Love anything to do with fall as for gourds I think they are gorgeous when kept in moderation. So go ahead as long as there is room to eat on the table and they don't take over too much of the space. chloebud I love you creative use of the gourds and pumpkins!
  • 12 years ago
    We're big fans of Fall decor & every other season for that matter!
  • 12 years ago
    I like the way gourds say fall.,however it can be overdone.
    I think a simple glass bowl with a mixture of gourds and pumpkins look very festive.
  • 12 years ago
    We put our decor up the last weekend in Sept & it's up till Thanksgiving then we start XMas decor that weekend.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I absolutely Love Autumn. The warm days and cool, brisk nights are just wonderful. Nothing quite like the kaleidoscope of color that Fall brings. Beautiful displays of pumpkins and mums adds much warmth and curb appeal to a front entry.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I love Fall!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Fall is my absolute favourite season. The warm days and cool, brisk nights are just wonderful. Nothing quite like the kaleidoscope of color that Fall brings. A few pumpkins and mums on the front porch adds much warmth and curb appeal. The extremely bumpy gourds, I am not a fan of however, I enjoy seeing people display their creativity. :-)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Fall is my absolute favourite season. The warm days and cool, brisk nights are just wonderful. Nothing quite like the kaleidoscope of color that Fall brings. A few pumpkins and mums on the front porch adds much warmth and curb appeal. The extremely bumpy gourds, I am not a fan of, however, I enjoy seeing people display their creativity. :-)
  • 12 years ago
    My kids and I like putting pumpkins in the front porch, squirrels love them.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like them, here are mine, i just put them on a simple plate.
  • 12 years ago
    LOVE FALL!!!
  • 11 years ago
    moonroxx
    love them. i remember when the grocery store used to give them to me. i miss that.
    Like just now
  • 11 years ago
    Fall is my favorite time of year. I decorate with pumpkins and gourds inside and out! Real and artificial (burlap, metal, glass etc). I just went to a fall gourd sale at a local farm in Idaho, what's not to love in these photos!!!!
  • 11 years ago
    Living in Upstate NY, pumpkins and gourds just seem to be the right touch to add to the front of a house. They go so well with the Autumn foliage. We decorate just with pumpkins and after the season we put the pumkins in the back of our property and let the wildlife have them.
  • 11 years ago
    I am in the minority as I don't care for gourds, pumpkins, etc. I do love Fall but I use artificial ones instead. In the south the temps are hot and the critters, bugs, etc do these types of decorations in. I have seen so many artistic gourds on this site today and I do have 2 faux gourd Santas that I set out at Christmas that I love but not a fan of the real deal. If I was artistic and could produce some of the prettiest gourds/pumpkins like on this page then I might see things differently but as it is all I can show for my artistic effort is a mushy mess. Love the creative ideas and see the humor in it so keep up the good work so those of us who don't use gourds/pumpkins for decorating can truly appreciate the ones who do.
  • 11 years ago
    Ho hum
  • 11 years ago
    I do love the gourds, pumpkins and all the fall look. But when it is over it is over. I've seen pumpkins still out that would have looked better in a dumpster. Gourds in a house with Christmas decorations. Everything in its season is my feeling.
  • 11 years ago
    I have a problem with the pumpkins rotting. does anyone have any suggestions?
  • 11 years ago
    I love seeing the warm Autumn colours when people display them in a nice way in the kitchen/ on the counter etc. and I prefer seeing them cooked rather than outside.
  • 11 years ago
    A little goes a long way for me, but I do enjoy seeing them in public gardens, etc.
  • 11 years ago
    Fall was my favorite time of year when we lived up north. I always used decorative gourds inside and out. Down here I have to be careful because it stays so warm throughout the fall. Usually I just keep an arrangement in the house. We used to carve a Halloween pumpkin but don't anymore; too much work.
  • 11 years ago
    I love pumpkins and gourds! For several years we have traveled to MI where we found a farmer who grew such an amazing variety of both. He retired this year so I'm on the search for a new source of the unusual. To prevent your pumpkins and gourds from rotting wash them in a simple bleach/water solution & let them dry, This is especially helpful for those you may want to keep in the house.
  • 11 years ago
    only for thanksgiving or in a farm house
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I only like the white ones; same with pumpkins. I find the traditional fall colors garish---except on trees!!!
  • 11 years ago
    I made a little arrangement outside my front door this year with some odd shaped pumpkins & gourds. Then, when I take my dog for a walk in the neighborhood, I pick up all different colors of fallen leaves and berries and just strew them around and it looks pretty cool. Nothing fancy but all natural. I'm in Denver so they should last through November unless we get a hard freeze.
  • 11 years ago
    I think they are beautiful and the creative ways people have made their displays are inspiring. To all of you who posted your pictures, thank you! Now perhaps I will be motivated to do something similar myself.
  • 11 years ago
    I always used to enjoy leaving my future jack o-lantern out on the porch as part of the fall decor for a few weeks. I'd carve it a few days before Halloween, and on November 1 we'd put it in our woods for the deer to enjoy. A few years back, we had an impatient deer. The night before Halloween he came right up to our porch as we slept and carved his own version!
  • 11 years ago
    I can take them or leave them. Sometimes I decorate with them and sometimes I don't.
  • 11 years ago
    I love them!!
  • 11 years ago
    Gourds are very common. I like to go outside the box a bit. Living in Las Vegas cactus and dead branches come in handy. Place small lights (Orange and black) on branches with birds of various descriptions (ravens, hawks,and, bats) in branches makes a great piece inside or out. Lizards, road runners placed round bones of animals add a good touch
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Love fall and everything it represents. We do a full on Halloween display with lots of scary characters, but come November 1, out come the scarecrows, hay bales, cornstalks and every imaginable pumpkin and gourd I can possibly find. Pile them high in a wheelbarrow surrounded by my scarecrows, pushing the wheelbarrow, holding rakes, hoe's, milk buckets, etc. Always a great display and one my neighbors enjoy as much as our household!
  • 11 years ago
    Not a bad idea but they don't really suit my home...
  • 11 years ago
    I absolutely love pumpkins and everything fall. Unfortunately so do the squirrels! When I am done with the pumpkins and gourds I throw them in my backyard and let the animals eat them throughout the winter then in the spring I throw the scraps left over in my compost. one year I actually had a pumpkin growing out of my compost bin. Loved it!
  • 11 years ago
    Hate fall, honestly, much more of a summer person! But I try to enjoy it...
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I like them since it makes autumn/Halloween more festive. It's only once a year! #BeSeenBeSafe
  • 11 years ago
    Love my white pumpkins
  • 11 years ago
    And black ones too
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    not so crazy about them but love the season and pumpkins!
  • 11 years ago
    I use a chlorine/water wash on the gourds and they seem to last longer. If anyone is near Louisville, Ky. they need to see the five thousand carved pumpkins in Iroquois park.
  • 11 years ago
    jackths63, I just googled Iroquois Park Pumpkins...pretty amazing!
  • 11 years ago
    my favorite time of yr was never Fall.. but looking at these pictures may make me rethink ..nah!.. but the pictures, all i can say is WOW!!! i esp like the leaf basket.. i do love all the colors!! and how u all have decorated..wow!
  • 11 years ago
    I love putting a bunch of tiny pumpkins/decorative gourds outside in the fall. No need for me to throw them away though--the neighborhood critters get to mine long before they have time to rot! :)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I personally love gnomes a lot more!