Software
Houzz Logo Print
cliff_means

Before and after...more advice?

12 years ago
Hi, I just recently moved into a new apt and had no furniture. With the help of your responses I was able to shift the living room around to create an arrangement I'm much more happy with.

Television to be mounted on right wall as you enter room (right wall not seen in photo). Wall art, end table with table lamp also not yet purchased.

Do you guys see anything that could help this room?

Thank you all again! Advice on prior post was awesome.

Cliff

Comments (61)

  • 12 years ago
    I meant to post pics of the new arrangement; This is the current arrangement with the sofa on the wall you see when you enter. I plan to place a console table on back of the loveseat....
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    the love seat should be at the window end. more open to the entry. and i liked the tv on the other all. you didnt see the side view of the cords......just my thoughts. your taste is great, and love your choices!
  • 12 years ago
    Sandy, I do live in NYC, so that was the thought behind that. My thought behind the 'life is beautiful' is the life and fun it brings to the room; I almost want to make it work ya kno? I love the suggestion of the throw pillows, or accent chair piece to go with the red. The manhattan piece would be the safe bet though.

    Again, dresser with TV to be removed; TV to be mounted...I figure there are some small things I could place along the TV wall once it's mounted. Lighting, etc.

    What do you think of a console/sofa table along the loveseat and the current chair placement? (Some suggested I should replace the chair with a more living room appropriate style; if I do that, I have a foyer where the orange chairs could be used. Foyer can be seen in pics attached to prior post)
  • 12 years ago
    Flair lighting, I placed the TV on the other wall so that the sofa would be on the wall you see when you first enter; I do see your point however, because even with the tv mounted and wires hidden you'll be able to see behind the TV. But I think the effect of seeing the wall art and sofa on the wall you see upon entering gives it a nice effect. I can move the loveseat to the window side and the chairs to the entry side. I can try that out and take pics.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Is this THE area where you will be watching TV? If so, we should rethink sofa placement so it is across from the TV.

    The loveseat placed there is like a pony wall, stopping the welcoming vibe. It also impacts that first impression of the sofa/artwork wall. In addition, finishing the back of the loveseat with a console table, takes eve more floor space from the entry.

    Move the love to the wall opposite the sofa. As it is now, the area in front of the windows is the biggest open space in your room. You might want all of this space at the entry point instead. As I mentioned before, add a bookcase between the windows.

    What do you have in mind for the space under the TV when it is mounted on the wall opposite the windows?

    Artwork. It looks like the tryptic of NYC is the best shape to hang over the sofa since it is longer than the "Life is beautiful" piece. You could possibly use something like both of them in this room if they coordinate. These 2 are b/w so that alone is a plus.

    I keep seeing animal print pillows on the sofa - zebra, leopard, cheetah. . . Might be good with your rug?
    Cliff Means thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    more - stick with the brown/cream combo.
  • 12 years ago
    Sandy, just for reference, in my original post, the first pic I posted was the 'before' and the second pic (orange chairs on dominant wall) is what I rearranged to. I realize now you're using my original photo as a reference so I will read thru the prior post again to get up to speed with your suggestions.
  • 12 years ago
    Sandy - this is the area I will be watching TV; I don't mind the TV being on the wall opposite the sofa or on the wall you can't see upon entering (where it was in the first re-arrangement from my original post).
    Both are options.

    My thought with the current arrangement is that it 'shrinks' the room; and though it eliminates the welcoming vibe, it creates an enclosed area that feels cozy once seated.

    I guess the dilemma is what to do with the orange chairs. In order to maintain the welcoming vibe then that entry area has to remain open. Which means the only options for the orange chairs is where they are now (with love seat moved to wall opposite sofa; problem there is asymmetry. Love seat looks better in l-shape next to sofa....but I will rearrange and take pic) or the wall opposite the sofa, with TV possibly mounted above them. Just seems both the long walls are too long to hold the chairs. Chairs should be at entry or along windows wall.

    But no matter what, long sofa along long wall right? That much I think we nailed down. Everything else I can play with and take pics.
  • 12 years ago
    I wish I would have bought two sofas instead of a sofa and love seat....then I could have just placed across from each other
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Make this space wonderful for yourself - all we are doing is suggesting possibilities.
  • 12 years ago
    i'll just keep playing around with it; but i def think i'll need new chairs eventually
  • 12 years ago
    Live and learn - loveseats are difficult to arrange and not optimal for conversation between two people seated there. I'd remove the "bedside table," and replace it with a ceramic garden stool between the orange chairs. Pull the coffee table to within 18" of the large sofa so it can be useful for placing things. Art and drapes and you'll be set!
    Orange Ceramic Garden Stool with Dragon Motif · More Info
    White Ceramic Garden Stool with Crimson Vine Design · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    the first new layout was better, you can still put them across from each other.....try it! you are doing great! we are just a lot of information all at once.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You know, a sofa and loveseat is a good way to go. You have more options in arrangements this way. Your space is a great example of this. Your problem is landing on one of your options. Do not worry about what to do to finish the wall that the loveseat is on. There are scads of good looking, interesting things you can so to fill out the wall. If it just doesn't work for you , change back to the "L:" so you are comfortable with the look.

    I would guess that 95% of the time you see an "L" with these 2 pieces and that might be why you seem to be more comfortable with that orientation.

    It is all trial and error! It can be a pain at the time - but well worth it in the end.
  • 12 years ago
    Get the largest Banksy canvas, and do NOT get it split up into pieces. It's 61 x 41", probably just right for over the sofa. Be sure to bring some of the luscious persimmon from the chairs over to the sofas. I'd use plain dark curtains. I would also put the end table back between the two chairs.
  • 12 years ago
    You guys rock! Thank you for the great suggestions; I have some playing around with stuff to do and I'll update u soon.

    Thank you so much for the above photoshop pic...def gave me a lot of inspiration!
  • 12 years ago
    Sandy - yea I'm not use to seeing love seat and sofa across from each other, but I want to give it another look and see if it can come together. I think with some better accent chairs it would be a go. I sort of have to nail things down eventually, just because once I mount a television, my options won't be as broad.
  • 12 years ago
    @groveraxle the larges bansky 1 piece is 41x27....the 61x41 is a 3 piece. I'll have to measure it but I'm thinking 41 is a decent length.
  • 12 years ago
    If you're getting it here, it's the second choice from the bottom: http://www.icanvas.com/banksy-life-is-beautiful-print.html
  • 12 years ago
    That huge print is pretty pricey, but before you buy the smaller one, tape out the dimensions on the wall or tape up a paper template to look at the size. It should be between 2/3 and 3/4 as wide as the sofa. Nothing quite so disappoints as art that is too small or doesn't fit the space.
  • 11 years ago
    Most recent arrangement....made mistake with paint. Plans were to mount and bring in more lighting this week but paint job has to be fixed now. Happy with this arrangement though. Wanted to cozy up the place with warmer paint and ended up warming it up too much.
  • 11 years ago
    These are paint options....2 and 4 very similar; 3 and 1 very similar.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    why not just group the two chairs in the foreground?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Cliff, this wall color is awesome! Numbers 1, 2, 3 & 4 are almost the color of your upholstery! This means that there will be no contrast between the furniture and the walls, leaving the sofa/love to sink into the walls and disappear! You should either use an ivory or something like you have here. Contrast!

    The dark walls are gutsy and dramatic and very NYC! Lean artwork on the back of the sofa and post us a pix.

    Where did the TV end up? Is it between the orange chairs or on the wall we have not seen yet? Can we see what is going on there, please? The orange chairs work in this orientation. They are small in scale compared to your other pieces and having the cabinet to hang on to helps them belong. The orange chair by the window needs to come out of the corner though, and be close to the cabinet, like it's twin is. These 3 pieces are a group. The corner will be taken care of another way - like drapery panels, for example.

    You could consider a larger cocktail table.
  • 11 years ago
    Groveraxle - how can I contact you? I want your help for my dining area!
  • 11 years ago
    Cliff - love all the suggestions - I think your space looks great.
  • 11 years ago
    Jeanie, start a dilemma of your own, then use my activity page to track me down, and post a link to your dilemma on a dilemma I've recently commented on. That way it will show up in my feed.
  • 11 years ago
    I have a dilemma but you haven't found me and I couldn't find you! ha ha ha! I will try again!
  • 11 years ago
    I love the darker paint! How about some panels for the windows and throw pillows that accent the chairs. Nice room!
  • 11 years ago
    @renfaire_woman, post the link to your dilemma here.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for all suggestions guys. I found this gray that works well imo. I think it warms it up and provides contrast with all colors. This 'pencil point' is nice but it's even darker in person. As the primary living room and primary space it's too suffocating.

    Possible option: paint gray; leave sofa wall the same color? Tacky? We're gonna paint other walls gray and see.

    Accent pillow arrangement should include chair colors correct? Say pumpkin and gray?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Well, if you would like to keep one wall darker, you are right - the one behind the sofa would be the one - Also think that trying the new, lighter color on 3 other walls is a great idea. It is the best way to get a true read on everything about the color in your space.

    Scatter pillows are a wonderful way to show your personality and a way to support you aesthetic. Remember that you can certainly use pillows that have a touch of more colors than orange. Mix it up a little bit to stay away from a formulaic mix.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    These are not as "hot" as the ones above.

    Adding pillows to the chairs wouldn't hurt. It would give them a little bit more bulk. It is good to pull what is going on across the room over to the orange chairs. Balance.

    Now, do I see your TV between the orange chairs?
  • 11 years ago
    Hi sandy, yes the TV is in between the chairs. The plan is to mount with shelves (see photo). The current arrangement keeps the space open and allows for TV to be viewable; people who came and watched TV complained of neck pain under prior arrangement (TV was against right wall that can't be seen upon entering)
  • 11 years ago
    Love these pillows as well! Gorgeous....I had no idea pillows were so pricey (I'm a newbie to this)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Nice solution for your TV wall! So glad that much is settled

    If you know a volunteer sewer, or if you fit into that category, you can have them made or make them yourself. Some fabric shops have a list of people who do projects like this. Don't know about the difference in cost - homemade vs. retail.
  • 11 years ago
    Where's the TV now - gone or repositioned? This room is clearly for conversation, though table/sideboard access isn't equal from all seats. Maybe an additional end table or lamp on the other side of hte room?
  • 11 years ago
    Here's the new color guys :)!! (with and w/out flash)
  • 11 years ago
    More accurate pic
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    wow the orange chairs are going to a pop now! exciting.
  • 11 years ago
    This is the 3rd thread where I find my posts have been deleted.
    Can anyone arbitrarily delete a post?
    I am confused;-(
  • 11 years ago
    Hey Anne! You posted on my other thread...not this one!! :)) you made great suggestions! They are still posted on the thread
  • 11 years ago
    okay, Tks I feel better LOL ;-)
  • 11 years ago
    Huh? Ok, had 3 going eh, Cliff?
  • 11 years ago
    Wow that looks great, turn your tv dresser into more of tv cabinet
  • 11 years ago
    Wow @blenheimnewzealand that's so clever! I already promised to give it to a friend once the TV is mounted. But man, that's such a great idea!

    @natalie hahaha....no just two!!
  • 11 years ago
    @blenheimnewzealand had to tell my friend sorry....lol. I'm converting it....love the character and customization!!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Such a smart move - going green with your chest and re-purposing! A couple of things about that.

    Do not paint it any whiter than the "white" in your rug. Using a whiter color on the chest will make the white in your rug look a bit dirty. You can also think about using another color too. Maybe a color that is in the artwork you decide to use.

    Find some awesome pulls for the drawers.
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH