Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeannielongo

Front Enterance

14 years ago
I want to add a little interest to the front door. I have two urns and was wondering if I should paint them red or some other color. All my neighbors have pots or urns painted black. I want to be different. Thanks!

Comments (25)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Beautiful home! Pots would look great with lots of foliage.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks for the help!
  • 14 years ago
    If you could find glazed red urns like this, I'd like it: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/very-nice-garden-patio-accent-would-you-dsvw-vd~77597

    Another option is these clay jugs are which are monumental:
    Small beach patio and side yard · More Info


    Here's a differnt take on the classic urn:
    Cottage on the Hill · More Info


    Finally, here are two spectacularly planted urns! Can hardy see they're panted black:
    Cape Cod renovation · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I don't think the urns would add much unless they had color in them (Yellow? maybe lt. purple.) Adding a small turned gable to the porch roof would be a nicer addition. Don't over emphasize the door, that is the job of the porch. IMHO
  • 14 years ago
    I think a number of colors would work: eggplant, Dijon yellow, or red similar to your door would all look great. You could change it up depending on the season!
  • 14 years ago
    Design Solution, what do you mean turned gable on porch roof? I'm intrigued? Thanks for your input.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I love using the new orange with red! Paint the urns a strong bright orange, and make the plantings be different! I'd put a taller plant with mixed foliage and petunias in the urn on the right, then put shorter, fuller plantings in the left urn - like red and orange geraniums...don't think you need the wreath in the summer with the pretty colors of nature.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks!!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Here is what I was referring to. More of a change to the roof of the porch not just adding urns. These are from 2 different houses but it gives you an idea of what I am talking about. It "opens" up the entrance a bit more.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    It didn't seem to upload the pics. Let's see if this works
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Also, changing the roofing material to standing seam (metal) on the roof would give some interest, especially with the stone.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Do you have outdoor lighting - other than those two lanterns on either side of the front door? Adding a couple of path lights or step lights like the ones below would create a stunning entrance at night.
  • 14 years ago
    The fact that you have to have pots/urns at all says you are not really different from your neighbors at all. Try going to an antique store or auction and pick up an interesting piece or three and do a little asymmetrical design. Make it welcoming!
  • 14 years ago
    up lights in the big urns or pots what ever you choose for the front porch would show it off at night .With all the new LED lights out there you have a lot to pick from .You could make the pots a focal point by shining the lights up the front of them .Since your house looks like a formal colonial .I have to say that is one very pretty house and lucky you .
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks for all the input! very helpful!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I love the idea of a standing seam (copper) roof for the porch. Furthermore, I would consider changing the lighting fixtures to something a little wider and more square...but then again, I am biased...Ha! Ha! Seriously, check out the attached images of lantern styles that I believe would be perfect options for your beautiful home.
  • 14 years ago
    Lose the wreath...way too ordinary.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    The lanterns are a bit small for the space; consider something larger to fill up the expanse of stone to either side of the entry door.
  • 14 years ago
    Remove the wreath, and change your door hardware to a dark brownish/black; the oil-rubbed finish. Ours are double doors, and they're red, also. We have large scale terra cotta pots on each side, and they're very complimentary, with the greenery and flowers in each pot. Also, definitely include yellow and white in your flower scheme, it's the most complimentary to red. :)
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I can see some window boxes or Hayracks with Ivy Geranium for a summer punch!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I agree with an earlier post that a standing seam copper roof would add great curb appeal and the gas flame lights would be a perfect addition to that.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I think you should paint the door black and paint your urns BRIGHT RED. Red and green accent one another and red always looks great next to plants!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    No wreath, new nickel hardware on the door and nickel house numbers. www.modernhousenumbers.com