Software
Houzz Logo Print
pirita77

Need help picking dining chairs (and light fixture!)

11 years ago
We recently did a major kitchen reno and opened up our kitchen to our dining room. We have a reclaimed wood dining table that I need chairs for but am not sure which direction to go. Our kitchen is white/grey/brown, walls are Revere Pewter, hardwood in dining room is dark brown, tiles in kitchen are kind of grey......so, I'm wondering if I should throw a punch of colour in with the chairs or if I should only add the colour with a large painting on the wall and keep the chairs neutral (I was originally thinking white)? We have leather counter stools at our kitchen island and have ordered a new leather couch for our family room so I'm leaning towards fabric chairs because I feel like we have too much wood and leather going on everywhere else. Any suggestions/tips?

Oh, and any suggestions on the style of light fixture above the table would be great as well! Thank you!

Comments (88)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    taylormadecustom.etsy.com
  • 11 years ago
    Urban Barn has several fabric chairs in neutral colours that would work with your table. Plus, the chairs are under $300. I would wait for one of their regular 15% off sales. Bring in colour with artwork.
    pirita77 thanked Kicksychick
  • 11 years ago
    katinparadise, funny enough, I had my eye on those same chairs from Pier 1 and even went to look at them yesterday. I like the fabric on the front but am not sure how I feel about the stripes.....I wish they had the same fabric on the back too....then I'd probably go for them. You're right, they are the exact shape I'm looking for.

    kicksychick, thanks, Urban Barn is another one I look at on a regular basis and they have a few options that might work. I would definitely wait for one of their frequent sales. Thanks again to everyone, some really good ideas and suggestions.
  • 11 years ago
    I like Pier 1 but find that they are pricey somewhat. I actually have found some very nice chairs at Marshalls & TJMax. Have you tried Amazon as well?
    pirita77 thanked Lynnie
  • 11 years ago
    Have you looked at homedecorators.com for custom upholstered chairs? They have some similar to what you liked and several different turquoise shades. Fairly inexpensive for custom.
    pirita77 thanked mick50
  • 11 years ago
    @Kira...Love the first chairs but you could even use both styles. The chandelier is my all time favorite. :)
  • 11 years ago
    Do you like this? Sorry I don't how to attach photos very well. But I found this on Houzz typing in red dining chairs.
  • 11 years ago
    kira 5817, are you in the United States? I have checked Target but the selection at the stores in Canada isn't great compared to the US stores. I LOVE the light fixture.....where is it from??
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    You had mentioned you wanted to get away from leather, but I think its wearabilty and style (especially with the heavier table base) look would be nice and I would use grey. The chairs below are less than $300, but I would watch for sales and purchase the best quality you can, as they will be taking a lot of wear and tear. For a fixture, I would select one that works with your kitchen's and wouldn't go too rustic.
    [houzz=
    Leather Dining Chair, Gray · More Info
    ]
    pirita77 thanked Maureen
  • 11 years ago
    The chandelier is from Home Depot (online). It is by Seagull Lighting.

    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/12-light-burnt-sienna-incandescent-chandelier/848034

    Yes, I am from Canada. You should be able to order chairs in from customer service at Target. I have never done this as we live close to border. I ship them over the border and go and pick them up.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks, happy to see that the chandelier is available locally.

    Regarding the chairs, I was curious so I went by Target on the way to work this morning and asked them if they would order anything from the US store and have it shipped for me they told me they would not.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I just went onto Restoration Hardware's site and they are having a sale on dining chairs. For example, there are beautiful french camel back cane chairs for $199 (regular $299) and they come in various wood tones. Target's prices are around that and I'm not sure if the quality will be as good. Hope this helps. http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/collections.jsp?categoryId=cat3870164&sale=false
  • 11 years ago
    I love the pier 1 chairs. Thought the stripe was great with the wood of the table. I have the Pier 1 chairs ( in eggplant purple) the front is solid purple & the back is purple & cream damask. With all the hard surfaces you have I definatlely would go with upholstery
  • 11 years ago
    We have beige walls and white trim. What color is the correct color for curtain rod ?
  • 11 years ago
    I'm not sure how this comment got here, bit I'll try to answer it. It depends on what finishes you already have in your room.
  • 11 years ago
    'but' not 'bit'
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Your table is gorgeous! I love some of the pics that zazfuzzrocs posted. Liking the idea of a light colored fabric chair vs leather to soften the room a bit. For lighting, maybe some of our fused or blown glass pendant lights? We custom make all of our lighting so we could work with you to design something to fit your space.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Tried one of our pendants out...
    pirita77 thanked Shakuff
  • 11 years ago
    I like that light fighting, I think these chairs would look good, gray and white fabric with wood legs, bring colour in with table accessories and artwork
    pirita77 thanked Irene Morresey
  • 11 years ago
    Ladders back chairs
  • 11 years ago
    @blenheimnewzeland, I really like the chairs in the picture on the right.....do you have any details on them?

    Thanks, @Shakuff for showing me what that pendant light would look like!
  • 11 years ago
    Sorry, forgot to attach photo. This one...
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks again everyone for the great ideas. I found a local store with a lot of options and went by to take a look. I think I might have found a winner (the price is right too) but wanted opinion on colour.....they have a light green, a neutral linen and a sand colour (they also have a charcoal but it felt too dark to me). I was leaning towards the neutral linen (the lightest one) but I'm also thinking about getting different end chairs (picture also included)....the only thing is that the end chair only comes in the neutral linen colour and I was thinking it might be nice to have the end chairs in a different colour. What do you think? Should I go with all of the chairs in the same neutral linen or maybe do the sand or light green for the sides with the neutral linen end chairs?
  • 11 years ago
    Nice chairs. :) For me, if you were going with two different chairs for the ends, I would say okay, but if they are the same chairs...I would stick with one color. I'm just thinking that because they are all looking light to me on my screen. Like more contrast with the end chairs would be better? But you saw them in person and you have a beautiful home, so I think you're a better judge. :)
  • 11 years ago
    The end chair is actually a different chair but I'm seeing now with them together in the pictures I posted that you can hardly tell it's different.....the only difference is really in the arms. I see what you're saying, though. It's usually nicer when the end chairs give a bit of a 'wow' with a different colour or style. I may just go with one colour or try to find different end chairs.......I'll post a picture once I finally decide and have the room ready!
  • 11 years ago
    I thought the same thing with the end chairs...not enough contrast, so you might as well just get two more of the side chairs for the ends. To stand out, I'd look for something taller and maybe a bit of a pattern. Is the light green chair actually a pale aqua blue-green color? That's what it looks like on my screen. Very pretty. Any of them would be great.
  • 11 years ago
    @pirita, I'm sorry, I guess I looked at the pictures too quickly to notice the difference in the arms... my mistake. I hope I didn't make you feel bad. Your choice of chairs/colors is great. And I love your table.... the room is going to look great. Any luck on a light? Oh... when I looked above... at an inspiration picture someone posted... you liked it... now I see what you were going for, right? Posted by blenheimnewzealand.
  • 11 years ago
    I would go with all the same lighter color for all chairs. However if you want special chairs for each end of the table, pick a completely different style, Perhaps taller like wingbacks & you could go with a coordinating print or stripe on those two as well.
  • 11 years ago
    sorry, I sent that to you in error.
  • 11 years ago
    @zazfuzzroc, no, you didn't make me feel bad! :-) I appreciate the input and after you said it, I totally agreed (and yes, the picture from blenheimnewzealand was kind of what I was going for). I might just keep it simple like @sandraclark suggested and just go with the same lighter colour chairs for all of them. I'm really liking the lighter green colour but unfortunately, they didn't have a sample in the store so I would be ordering them blind which makes me nervous so will likely play it safe and go with the neutral linen. No luck on light yet.
  • 11 years ago
    @pirita, I'm glad....I wouldn't want to make ya feel bad, good to hear that! :) I really like the chairs you picked. I have a similar neutral colored/large chair that I use at my computer...it has the silver nail heads too. I bought it at homegoods. I understand about the color/returns can be costly and sometimes can be a headache. Good luck with the chairs. :)
  • 11 years ago
    I added light fixtures in my ideabook for lighting. left click on my name & click on my ideabook for lighting
  • 11 years ago
    Great lighting ideabook, sorry. I wish I could post photos
  • 11 years ago
    So I think I have finally settled on the neutral linen chair (for all 8 chairs). Am I crazy to be getting a light fabric with two small children?! Lol.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Scotch guard, done!
  • 11 years ago
    @pirita, you could grab a few inexpensive covers for their chairs when you eat? I really like your choice with the table. :)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I love your table! Beautiful choice!!! :) A chair like this in white leather-- if you are concerned about spills.
    Claudia Fabric Dining Chair , Taupe · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    I have the chairs ordered (I settled on the light fabric ones I posted in a pic just above) and they are coming sometime in January and I have picked a light as well....

    I just need some advice on the colour of the light.....I have included a picture of the pendant lights in my kitchen (kitchen is basically right beside and open to the dining room). These pendants are called dark bronze but they basically look black in a lot of light. What I'm wondering is whether I should get the dining light in oil rubbed bronze (which is what most of our other fixtures in the house are, as well as door knobs, bathroom faucets) or if I should go for the graphite colour. Something to note is that the lfixture in oil rubbed bronze comes with the same white colour glass as the graphite fixture (the picture below with the butterscotch glass is the only one I could find online). The oil rubbed bronze fixture is a very dark oil rubbed bronze so I think it would likely be fine, I'm just not sure. I'm probably over-thinking and making a bigger deal of it than it needs to be! Any thoughts?
  • 11 years ago
    Actually, it helps to see all of the pictures together as I just posted them......to me, it looks like the oil rubbed bronze is a much closer match to the pendant colour.....or is it just me?
  • 11 years ago
    Yes, pirita, I agree. :)
    pirita77 thanked zazfuzzroc
  • 11 years ago
    Good to hear. As far as the light fixture, I would go with the oil rubbed bronze and white lights.
    pirita77 thanked Lynnie
  • 11 years ago
    Okay, me again! :-) My chair saga continues. I ordered the light chairs and they were back-ordered until this month. I'm having a big party the last weekend in January so I thought, great, I'll have the chairs by then. I just followed up and the company is now saying mid-February! The thing is, if I go with the darker chairs, they are available now....it's only the lighter ones that is back-ordered. Just curious what colour you would go with if you had a choice? I just thought the lighter ones would be a nicer contrast with the table.....I don't want to go with the darker ones just to have them for the party but I'm starting to wonder if they might be the more sensible choice (given 2 small kids and sticky fingers....lol).
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi pirita, Okay, here's my thought.....if you really liked the lighter chairs, don't settle. I am sure that it is quite tempting.....because of your party. But afterwards, if it was me, I would regret not waiting. And as far as little sticky fingers......they can get to anything, trust me....I know, even the big sticky fingers are just as bad sometimes. lol :) Btw, that's a cute picture....are those your sticky fingers? lol :)
    pirita77 thanked zazfuzzroc
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks, zazfuzzroc.......you kind of said what I was thinking. If I went with the darker ones, just to have them for the party, I'd be settling. We did Christmas with folding chairs so what's one more occasion?! :-) So little sticky fingers turn into big sticky fingers? Great! Yes, those are one set of sticky fingers in the picture :-) Thanks again for the advice.....I think I just had to hear somebody else say what I was thinking!
  • 11 years ago
    Oh... no problem pirita. I've said before, I really like your table. I think that's in my future. And the chairs are great, I would not want you to settle .....not with such a pretty home. :) Yes, I deal with lots of sticky fingers (adults included) :) .... sometimes the visiting ones are the offenders. lol :) I can't wait to see it all together. Btw, did you decide your light yet? I'm not remembering? Good luck.... glad to help. :)
  • 11 years ago
    Just found this thread. Great choices. And yes, wait for what you really want. Sounds like you will be having many more chances to use your new chairs when they finally arrive. Like you said, "what's one more occasion?"
    pirita77 thanked User