Software
Houzz Logo Print
karenbrady

Size is overwhelming! Help!,

11 years ago
Hi, I'm looking for any affordable ideas. I have just bought this property and want to get started on redecorating. The floor is polished concrete with a brown tint added, I'd like to paint this as it is quite dark. I want to lighten the paint in the bedrooms and replace the curtains. These curtains are 300gm Dacron for insulation. I would like flowy white Chiffon. I am a girly girl and would like my overall design to be French Provincial maybe with an industrial/country feel. I love the traditional/Hamptons look but get confused with trying to tie it all together. I live alone so don't have to consider anyone else's desires. Any help would be appreciated. There are a few governing factors in the architecture that I can let you know about as we progress with project ideas. None of the furniture in the photos is now in the house. Thanking you all in advance. Regards Karen.

Comments (59)

  • 11 years ago
    I was thinking of lots of fabric. The lighting is the down lights that are there, I can add wall sconces. This is the room...it's quite deep as you can see on the plan.
  • 11 years ago
    Has anyone seen a room this size here on Houzz. I have tried to find examples but don't seem to be able to add them from my mobile device. Any help appreciated.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    You wouldn't have to use mirrors, but 3 mirrors or 3 chandeliers or 3....I know you like royal blue!
    Carolyn Miller Interiors · More Info

    Tribeca Penthouse Bedroom · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Space could 'carry' well the use of one color, throughout, possibly blue on bottom cabinets for 'warmth' and if blue is for you, then all tones of blue from darkest to light... what do you think? cause your space shouldn't have much of little tiny prints and little bits of several colors - unless and this is for experts, you could manage true modern looks. I am excited to see what you'll do as you have implied, there aren't many houses like this. Do you know what the space was originally [if not housing]?
    Greek Revival · More Info


    e.g. this Hague blue paint - if library wall were accented, and then a rug that color and farther down the kitchen bottoms were darkish blue.... ?????
    Downtown LA · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    I love the blue and white of the Sarah Greenman photos. Thanks for your great input, it's fantastic to see other peoples ideas.
  • 11 years ago
    I love the blue idea in varying shades for different spaces. The space has always been a house but has never been lived in permanently. More a holiday house I think. Now here's a question....to paint the corrugated iron or not! One side is in the living room that I want to change to my home theatre and the other side is the entryway from the front door.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Where are those photos? I would like to share my idea about tall spaces and chandeliers -- again I am feeling my lack, but if you are confident about a luxurious crystal that's great and with the right things below maybe [though I think that'd look better with wood floors and other features, sorry?]. But because of that unique feature of empty space and whatever the ceiling is made of, can't tell, you might want to use a color which would draw attention UP! and to also provide a little contrast. Please your floors look fine, but they resemble the ceiling -- fill space with modern art-spheres, anything you'll find that you like...or chandeliers using modern shapes:
    Rhode Island Beach House · More Info

    North Andover · More Info

    Rockport Beach House · More Info

    Penthouse Condo · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Grover come over!!! glad!! I leap in with photos like I've said to help the flow, but accurate questions and plans are good.... in my mind, it helps to look way ahead, but she's doing that... so as to that metal -- IF you want black it might be good and if you have lots of big pieces and real industrial heft and focus, maybe.... could one side work as is? I'll post what I saw once with corrugated in small amounts....
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    See this helped me already -- when I found this glimmering lighting -- what do you think if metal wall is patina-ed/changed, or as is, and it 'echoes' the silvery?
    Maybe black isn't warm enough - dark blue?
    Hip Living Room · More Info

    simple blue lanterns:
    My Favorite French country kitchen · More Info


    as to cost -- what about huge huge wicker pendants? natural....
    I know, I post a lot, but this is interesting: blue, white, black
    Home on the Waves, Cohasset · More Info


    this said 'warm industrial' but it doesn't seem so warm to me
    Warm Industrial · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Groveraxle,

    The only renovating I will be doing is the Kitchen and Bathroom. I will be replacing the metal handrails on the mezzanine with timber ones and putti g in a skylight above the kitchen area. I have thought of more glass above the sliding doors for additional light but as yet I'm undecided. All the rest is redecorating only, paint, window coverings, floor covering, furniture etc.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Searched: huge warehouse metal corrugated:
    Duncan Avenue Basement Renovation · More Info

    You asked opinion on metal, but I have to ask if you like green, cause it would warm up the metal, and fyi the photo:
    Michigan Farmhouse · More Info

    if not too much money, frame/upholster wooden benches surrounding/following curve of metal wall, and fyi the photo:
    Game room · More Info

    My process of answering you - looking at photos - now that I've seen what's possible and there's lots to see - KEep it cause there are ways to warm it up [I hadn't been sure]:
    the swell house · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Everdebz,

    I love that you post a lot. You are giving me some great decorating ideas. I think I can marry a couple of different styles and can soften the industrial look a lot. Give a sense of luxury and femininity. Love the different chandeliers and found these ones as well.
  • 11 years ago
    White Imitation Antler Chandelier
  • 11 years ago
    The metal is the silver colour and it definitely looks better with the lighter colour flooring as in you first picture in that group. I'm really keen for it to have a luxurious and feminine feel.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thank you....though a lot of posting can be tiring, I know!!! But I am fascinated...Grover is right about girly, but I think that was for upstairs, or enclosed rooms?? Possibly doors for privacy? or hey Ikea curtains can be? I think Grover recommends Ikea curtains - do you have those in Australia? ...they have inexpensive white curtains in longer lengths... if you need only curtains surrounding bedrooms maybe their longest could be installed from ceiling?? or sew them together [they have nice and easy brackets]...and so you're adding wood?/ good!
  • 11 years ago
    hi, wow! u definetely have no issue with space :) its a lot of space to work with, and i think the most important Focus you should have is to turn it into a comfortable cozy "home", not warehouse. so try using things to bring the eye down, as i posted one pic of a kitchen and the lighting above the Island is done so well- really brings down the eye. use area rugs, floor lamps, pattern, fabric... to divide your Areas in living, Dining etc. and to make it a nice space to live in. just some Inspiration pix:
    Zinc House · More Info

    My Houzz: A Big, Empty Box Becomes a Mod Live-Work Space · More Info

    RBC Bletchley Loft - Dining & Kitchen · More Info

    Cedar Lake International Style · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Ok, more: what speaks/equals luxury? feminine? brainstorm with me/us....zinc house makes me wonder if you might like to paint metal a color like red, hot pink, yellow...I noticed her globe lights, sweet young at heart influence?
  • 11 years ago
    This is a nice space with good ideas. What do you think?
  • 11 years ago
    Debz, yes you're right girly is for upstairs and both bedrooms that are enclosed. I am progressing with these next week so will post photos of before and after.

    Designme, I love all the photos, great ideas. I think the lighter coloured floors look great. The white curtains are what I had in mind and the glass above the sliders is what I am undecided on. Looks good in that photo. One half is high and open and the half under the mezzanine is normal ceiling height. That is the living that I would lie to convert into my media room.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    My search using the word 'warehouse' was because of the sheer size of the space....seems likely you won't be using a lot of black?
    At least one part of each thing should 'talk the same language' as the high-ceiling space - if you're needing luxury and feminine that is :)
    the color [just for example: concrete/black], the style [industrial loft]....
    so that, if you love frilly/ripples try [not chiffon] leather?
    or if you love velvet try [not in delicate colors] navy?
    Other materials and styles I think are more transitional!!!
    linen, even burlap.....
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I like the wood in your photo Karen - can you do that? though seems a big project... as would painting your ceiling etc... :)
    What comments can you make about that photo? It had nice things like gym stuff - you too? kind of a fun do anything and don't worry about getting anything dirty!!!
    oh and you are thinking about 4 separate areas? thanks, off to eat...
  • 11 years ago
    I have done a few more searches using your ideas and came up with a few...media room and living, would maybe go a pastel in the couch.
  • 11 years ago
    I don't know if anyone has suggest this yet but I would definitely incorporate a huge reclaimed wood dining table and bring in your French, country, Hampton feel in with different chairs (in this pic I find these chairs too cold for your space but you get the idea)
    I like to balance industrial with 'natural' / 'organic' pieces, it warms a space, softens the hard shiny pieces...etc.
  • 11 years ago
    Ok the photo, love the wood hand railings (can do that) love the fresh paint ties it all together, love the light from the ceiling (can do that), love a lighter floor just not sure how to do that to mine (maybe a whitewash look) LOVE the inside tree (can do that in a pot), I have gym equip but am putting it in a section outside on the right side of the veranda. My ceiling is good, nice colour (bonded metal).
  • 11 years ago
    P.s cool house!
    ...and I like karenbrady's second pic
  • 11 years ago
    Oh sorry, that's you...I was referring the pic with pink couch, that looks good.
  • 11 years ago
    Inicol8,

    No one talked about it yet but I had considered it with a few examples below, love a big statement piece in the dining section by the kitchen. You get the idea!
  • 11 years ago
    Hey for us - tell the rooms especially the media room - which are regular heights?
  • 11 years ago
    What a totally cool and HUGE space you have here. All I can think is basketball court on the main floor. :D Love the giant tables here- they are all very nice. Good luck with all the redecorating.
  • 11 years ago
    Debz

    Only the front entry, lounge (media), bathroom and bedrooms are regular height ceilings 2.7m. They rest are double height. Don't worry about upstairs yet (other than working to tie in design style) we'll get to that later. See on the plan below.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    So your love of crystal - are you considering that for high or low ceilings?
  • 11 years ago
    Hehehehe, my love of crystal is only for the high ceiling as a replacement for the three metal dome lights. I could do wall sconces in the media room if that works. I open to ideas..
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Well I repeat like a broken record, and others can see the chandeliers I posted earlier... of course you want attention at 'living level', but I thought help me? that attention could be drawn up with simple-lined, colored chandeliers, unique as the space is. I don't know about crystal - maybe you'll want velvet and luxury in your movie theater!!!? Ok I didn't want to talk too much, but I will cause it's you down under hee that I watched MJackson's movie tonight and when I saw his stage I thought of how your space could become an artistic, wild wonder!! but is it? you? feminine enough? How would crystal chandeliers be balanced with all the rest....[in other words, I like my blue informal ones that gleam]...
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    another thought - if you invested in professional help with ambient [?] lighting, the mood and romance would be amazing, lighting and dimming night skies in your own home.... as you said dreamily that you want to create how'd you put it? such a space for the 2 children...!

    The hanging crystal -- I think I don't like idea partly because the ceiling is so darn functional and drab. IF it were painted with abandon some modern color with femininity, Maybe? I try not to squelch a person's ideas, as most say here on houzz: you will live there....
    before you buy, and some purchase to get it done quick - how do you think the white antlers would look? I talk too much at times, so your turn :) but I'll say that looking from the ground floor I think it'd about disappear.... you?
  • 11 years ago
    I really love the blue penthouse glass light fitting. I'm going to start on my mood boards one for each space tying them all together with design and style...
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I'm hearing ya.....what time is it there? Here in CA it is 840 Saturday night.... curious is all...and well you'll have to tell me what mood boards are, but I guess I know: photos, word pictures, fabrics??!! I think you mean the royal blue glass art? wow how much money!!!!?
  • 11 years ago
    Yep you've got it re mood boards. Time here is 1630 (4.30pm) Sunday afternoon. We are in spring going into summer. I'm starting to formulate some great ideas.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I can't get your place off my backburner - your antlers? well I wonder if you'd like to hang your hat on one --- your metal wall if painted a midnight blue could have 3 white antler heads on it!! lol....
    who knows, maybe some day you'll paint the ceiling [I want to see dark navy photoshopped - they say it's a neutral].
    Fun lights!!!
    Rooms to Inspire by the Sea by Annie Kelly beach homes houses · More Info

    Moooi Random Light · More Info

    Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

    Gallery Loft · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Plaza · More Info

    Waterfront Retreat · More Info

    Bowman, Greenbelt Homes, Austin TX · More Info

    circular bench, or buy 3 for entry seating:
    Flying Jib · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    I would suggest to build on and personalise from the following inspirations if possible:
  • 11 years ago
    Resubmitting
  • 11 years ago
    Wonderful space! Do get a large round wood dining table. All coffee tables, make round and cushy furniture to soften against hard cold floors. Do paint favorite color on metal rounded walls. Blue is beautiful, but it is a cold color. What is your climate? Do plain velvet drapes for feminine touch. Put chiffon sheers underneath... if you want. Large, round mirrors on long walls to broaden rectangular rooms. Rather than chandelier, how about nice large glass globes? You can't go wrong with this great building. And, colorful modern area rugs to create areas.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think of large restaurants and places I've been where the ceilings are unbelievably 'exposed' and I suppose that in your home the upper region might 'disappear'....but the height and scale is unbelievable and can't be ignored...[??] it will be seen much more upstairs.... wild idea to paint it your blue but more soft navy, or soft amber [then with extra money buy blue Chihuly]...
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    concept:
    Vantage Park - Maximum flexibility with 10 sliding doors · More Info

    Contemporary Living Room · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Hi how's it going? There are many on houzz - mirror on a rope - you could hang several on entry wall, or...
    My Houzz: Whitley Lake House · More Info
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I love the idea of shag carpeting and I would make sure they are backed and bound for extra thickness to add more comfort and warmth!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Wow this posting is all over the place. When designing a space, large or small - you start with the the large furniture pieces like, sofa, occasional chairs, coffee table, dining table and chairs. Once those decisions are made you can move on to choosing the paint colors, and area rugs. Only after you've made these choices do you begin to "decorate". Eg: art, lighting, accent pieces, draperies etc. Otherwise, you'll be jumping all over the place and getting nowhere and in the end nothing will work together.

    Karen B. Because you have such a large open space that you want to divide into specific areas - It would be helpful to take pictures of each area you want to create so we can get an idea of where these specific spaces will be located. This will allow us to get a coordinated look throughout the entire space. Dimensions for each area will also help so we can determine the scale of furniture etc. Thank you in advance, Denise.

    PS I know you posted a floor plan, but it's difficult to see where you want one area to end and the other to begin. The best way to show this is by taping the areas out so we can visualize it the way you do.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Good holidays to you! Hope your space is becoming more delightfully your own!
  • 11 years ago

    Karen, if you are doing more things in your home, we'd love to hear about it. How's your crystal lounge/ media room? Houzzers are so helpful, and it would be fun to see what would happen....I promise to let experts talk more. I was new to houzz a year ago. Give us a briefing, or just start a new post.