Software
Houzz Logo Print
lindsayalande

So overwhelmed! (paint colors)

11 years ago
how many colors do I need? ceiling, walls, baseboards, accent, how do I match or contrast!

Comments (29)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Maybe you should consider calling in a designer for a consult, not only with colors ut with your choice of patterns.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Way too many things going on in here walls and ceiling should be a neutral baseboards maybe white along with trim and really what are all these samples.
  • 11 years ago
    I would think that if there is going to be a lot of the reddish orange that you need to incorporate it somewhere... Do you really like the idea of a whole wall being that color or would you rather use lamps and other decorative items to pull that color into the room? It's hard to say which colors you've chosen would loom the best without seeing the whole bedding set. The bedding seems to have a LOT of tones and colors.
    Lindsay Morris thanked johnfam
  • 11 years ago
    Grey and white
    Bergen Street Residence · More Info
    Lindsay Morris thanked Geneviève
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you all for your contributions. I would like to say condescending comments only make you look unprofessional.

    Moving on. I picked out a palette using my Sherwin williams Color Snap app. I took a picture of my rug and it pulled colors from it. However i live in a fairly remote area so i went to my local ace hardware and they carry Valspar and Clark and Kensington. So rather than impulse buy i opted to bring samples home.

    i realize that color and patterns are all over the place thats why i am here. I made those pillow covers because I liked them and wanted to move in that direction. I realize the rug is loud. I may move it into another room it wasn't as bright in the photo.

    I am combining two styles and we cant afford a consultant. here goes

    I am a soCal girl who likes a combination of traditional and transitional. he is a Louisiana rustic duck hunting southern man. here is the dilemma.

    I don't know how to start, so i take a chance and its all over the place.

    In NC we want, airy and fun in the summer for crawfish boils, and lots of warm cuddle up by the fire in the winter.

    this ideabook is inspiring! I love these colors, I cant just ditch my large furniture its all DARK Brown, so what is the next step.

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/natures-color-wisdom-lessons-on-earth-tones-from-the-great-outdoors-stsetivw-vs~22930605
  • 11 years ago
    johnfam - thats my living room. if you see this Advice post you can see where I started, i have rearranged and changed the look of the media center.

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/decorators-block-dsvw-vd~1165456
  • 11 years ago
    home
  • 11 years ago
    I can move the rug into the completely blank bedroom (we want blue and brown in there) i can pic a blue from the rug. Then place a neutral rug in the livingroom.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    You did great with the media center change. Your ikat pillow looks grey and cream in the photo. The rug is causing confusion, so try removing it and give us an upclose photo of the art work on the wall above the shorter side of the sectional. Your color choices are probably there.
  • 11 years ago
    Lindsay - where did you find that rug? It's gorgeous! I can see why you'd be tempted to work with more than one of the colours in it.
  • 11 years ago
    Hey your ceiling and baseboards look fine to me unless you think they need freshened up, your local paint store could recommend a white, for example cloud white is common...etc. Otherwise I think you could lighting up the walls but stay neutral and let the colours from the rug and pillows, art, throws be the 'show'. I like the middle and right colour on that little start up swatch, and the one on the right of the screen just left and below the blues. If you are really interested in an accent colour maybe pick an accent wall but don't do anything bold, just subtle like a main neutral and a pale blue...
  • 11 years ago
    Here's a nice eclectic arrangement with brown leather and grey walls with all sorts of great colors added for accents.
    Family Room · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Stick to basics. Forget the accent wall, it might throw the room off and, since you're feeling overwhelmed, an accent wall will just confuse you even more. White for the ceiling, baseboards and woodwork. You seem to like color so keep your walls neutral and go with color in your rugs and accessories. Love those rugs!

    When making a pillow be sure to center the largest medallion.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    You could use the colour Yam behind the TV , remove all those things on top of the fireplace mantle and limit to a group of 3 only , add panels to your windows in the green "Bengal green " keep the rest of the walls grey and trim white,
  • 11 years ago
    I read the comment that you have made above in regard of "condescending comments "
    I don't know why you would say or even think things like these , we all try to be helpful and do our best on giving ideas and even take the time to find examples and a solution to a quest . If this help given to you isn't to your liking and you should find it "unprofessional " ,remember that a majority on here are amateurs and we are kind people who try to help out.
  • 11 years ago
    Rug was on amazon really great price under $200 for an 8x10!
  • 11 years ago
    I would remove the grey pillow. And go with a light yam color all over. And make sure the baseboards where beautiful and fresh white.
  • 11 years ago
    I lied. Considering your carpet color i would go with blue walls. However picking the right shade will be fun and i think it should be light. Good luck. Decorating is so fun! Good luck!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The grey/green of Spanish moss (paint) coupled with the terra cotta California tiles and the pale gold hills of California (accents) would be lovely. I like your idea book sample of SW techno grey. This example isn't a living room, but it shows the color combos well.
    Low Country · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think that the terra cotta is the most dominant colour therefore I would paint the walls terra cotta and use the other colours as accent .
    Dining Room · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Dining Room · More Info
    ]
    Surya 22 x 22 Decorative Pillow, Avocado (P0278-2222P) · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    @genevieve YES! It's warm and pretty!!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Lindsay, happy new year to you. I looked at your ideabook and it seems your paint color reflects that already. Your furniture doesn't look the very darkest of brown. I have seen that nice rug online at jcpenneys.com.You're near the ocean and there are many colors of inspiration there - any other items you might display on the wall in a grouping?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    just for discussion's sake, here's a photo with bright orange in a beachy room - that it's with a light sofa works -- too much muted terra cotta with dark furniture might seem heavy - especially for what look I think you're going for....
    Kiawah Beach House for GDC · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think your wall could handle a large nature painting ... as to comments about the rug. I think it can work here. The stripes are large - art should also be 'enlarged' big and beautiful!
    Breckenridge Residence · More Info
    ">
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Your rug is like the multi pillows - a different 'size' pattern could work somewhere in your space....I hope it's been ok - this has been my project for the early afternoon :) but if you 'left click' on everdebz you see my ideabook called 'groupings'....which could be a way to introduce local flavor!! good luck!!
    New Life for an Old Home · More Info
    San Francisco Pied á terre · More Info
    Funky Formal Living with a Global Touch · More Info
  • 11 years ago

    Hello Lindsay. How's it going in your home plans? Would love to hear... :)

  • 11 years ago
    Check out SwatchPop.com. It's a very cool online design service and their designers can help you choose the perfect paint colors for $50. Good luck with your project!