Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwhicks1

Paint the brick?!

Bill Hicks
9 years ago
I just bought this house and theres obviously zero curb appeal. I've never painted brick, but several houses in the neighborhood have done so and it looks decent. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments (4)

• housegal200
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The brick adds texture and color to your house. Don't paint it! I would suggest instead:

--power wash the roof.

--paint the siding of the house and the garage door the gray of the cleaned roof color to unify the top half of the house. The gray should have a little brown in it to pick up some of the brown in the brick and your walkway. "Greige" is what I'm talking about as in the photo on the left.

--If a new roof is on your to-do list, roof shingles in a light or medium brown would complement the brick better than gray. In that case, painting the siding and garage in a complementary brown would be the way to go. If you can bring a roof shingle with you to get it matched at the paint store. Or photograph the house after you get the roof cleaned to match the paint color.

--Get a new full glass storm door in wood for texture and paint it the same color as your existing door (Is that a turquoise behind the storm door?)

A landscaping makeover is really what you need. Create a a deep rounded bed out from the right side of the house with a mix of low shrubs, creeping plants, brown mulch, perennial grasses and flowering plants. Go to a local, not a big box store, garden store and ask them to design some landscaping for you. Note the kind of garden bed I'm talking about in the left photo.
  • ycity
    9 years ago
    I love brick- painted, natural, white washed!! Anything you do will be great. I would change the front door/windows surrounding front door.
  • lhutch13
    9 years ago
    I would paint the brick, because I think the layout of it is weird and will conflict with anything you try and do.
  • PRO
    Sam Moore, Architect
    9 years ago
    Before you consider painting the brick (it can actually harm the brick, long term) I'd do something with the bland siding areas. The 2nd story area would look much better in stucco (or smooth fiber-cement panels) painted a bold color complimentary to the brick (a dark mustard color, for instance). And on the right, can that upper area with siding be made to be all glass? That would really be a special space. And replace the front door with a modern one. If you have to have a storm door, make it a full glass one. These things would work with the strengths of your house.