Software
Houzz Logo Print
jaqipousson

Need help for exterior of house

11 years ago
How could I improve the appearance of the exterior?
We are doing repairs and will paint next week. I do not like the bricks, but they have to remain. I would like to de-emphasize them. Although this photo does not show this well, the roof seems to compete with the bricks a little.

Also, I feel that something is disproportionate, or that there are elements which don't work together. The door is the same color as the bay window roof. The wood siding has a slightly pink tinge.

We have an orangey redwood fence and Arizona flagstone. I would like to decrease the amount of orange everywhere Any ideas.

Comments (19)

  • 11 years ago
    I think that any of these color schemes would work If you brought the colors in through painting the brick, siding, and trim. That way it would look fresh and new while incorporating the red elements like the flashing and bay window roof.
    jaqipousson thanked justinalexx
  • 11 years ago
    The attached blue siding will set that brick off. The entrance tile has to go though. Paint trim white. Paint bay window roof to look copper or replace with copper.

    james hardie evening blue siding · More Info
    jaqipousson thanked delyanks
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thank you! These really look good. justinalex, do you keep the red in because of the stone in back? delyanks, what would you suggest to replace the entrance tile? Do you recommend any other changes?

    The placement of the door, porch column, and window do not work that well visually, and perhaps can be changed in the future. The flower beds near the bay window will be removed because we are having problems with moisture, and plan to move the plants off of the house. We are attempting to make the house more accessible as we make phased changes. I am not yet sure about what will happen with the flower bed near the porch. As far as I can tell, (even from the house crawlspace), I cannot see any ventilation to that porch crawlspace, so I will do something about that.

    I really appreciate your comments.
  • 11 years ago
    If you saw the roof, the volume would be even higher.
  • 11 years ago
    Some kind of stone veneer and treads. I'm not sure what is local there. I wanted to say marble veneer at first but I just can't picture it with the brick. I also don't like it on outdoor walkways and stairs because it is super slippery when wet.

    I'd just remove the metal hardware on the porch. It doesn't look like it is needed.

    Your drainage issue is because the water has no where to go in your beds. You need drains in them.

    BTW, the brick you have is brick a lot of people want right now (and are paying some bucks for). I think with the blue it will make it pop. The blue with efflo/white painted red brick is actually really popular here right now.
    jaqipousson thanked delyanks
  • 11 years ago
    I painted your house blue and gray.
    jaqipousson thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    Yes I love the dark charcoal color for the house!
    jaqipousson thanked taylor_rae8
  • 11 years ago
    groveraxle, what software did you use? I like the gray more than the blue, and if the brick around the porch had more of a whitish look like the part near the bay window, I would not mind it as much. I would gladly lose the ironwork. Whatever would replace the tiles would need to be simple, maybe a solid color. I think the vertical trim on the corners could be the same color as the siding.
  • 11 years ago
    jaqi, I use Photoshop Elements. Here are the vertical trim and steps in gray, as well. I wouldn't go too dark on the steps; don't want them to become invisible.
    jaqipousson thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    Grover, can you do the dark blue with copper metal roof on bay window and white fascia board?
    jaqipousson thanked delyanks
  • 11 years ago
    Jaqi, i kept the red because it looked kind of hard to get rid of(flashing, roof, etc) , how ever if you want to keep the brick natural I would find some way to get rid of all the red. Either way It could really work. I like the above grey/blue houses allot. It's just up to personal taste.
    jaqipousson thanked justinalexx
  • 11 years ago
    delyanks, other than the roof on top of the house, the other red could be painted.

    How does one get that eflo look purposely?
  • 11 years ago
    Blue siding, white fascia, copper roof on bay per delyanks:
    jaqipousson thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    Are the bricks under the bay window a different color/pattern from those on the garage side? If so, I would definitely consider painting all of them. Otherwise, the materials look very mismatched and disjointed.
    jaqipousson thanked flopsycat1
  • 11 years ago
    The bricks are the same ones, but the ones in front have had much more moisture exposure, and have efflorescence. http://www.nachi.org/efflorescence.htm I personally like the bricks with it more than the one without. It is interesting that some of the bricks in the front do not show any efflorescence.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I really do not like that last look at all. It just looks like another unrelated color thrown in.

    Can you go back to original color bay roof, copy the front bricks over the other bricks, keep the gray siding and steps. and paint or otherwise make the bricks and the siding on the porch the a slightly lighter shade of gray. If the metal work can be erased, even better. Skip all of it if you are tired of this project. ;-)
  • 11 years ago
    Yep, efflo is what it is. I think it needs to be a darker blue almost navy for the white and brick to pop.
    jaqipousson thanked delyanks
  • 11 years ago
    I can picture a soft medium green with white trim. I like brick but if you think it is too bright, try a light wash over the brick. Not making it white, but just lightening the brick a little.

    The red paint over the window looks rather bright, so like I said I would go with green, or if you are wanting a modern feel, gray is the color to go.

    By the way, red doors are outstanding and do not be afraid to have one. Enjoy.
    jaqipousson thanked Lynnie