Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northcharlotte1

Which floor rug?

dana moreau
9 years ago
Have been looking and looking for reasonably priced wool floor rugs in a large size for my living room. Found these two yesterday at unbelievably cheap prices (maybe for a reason:-). Regardless, I'm hoping to make one of them work!

Which goes better in my living room which is open to the kitchen? Brick pattern neutrals or geometric neutrals? My sons had absolutely no opinion on the topic and looked at me as though I were crazy for asking. Thanks in advance. Btw, sectional is charcoal.

Comments (19)

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hi dlmoreau! I get the same reaction from my children. haha. I like the second rug with geometric neutrals for your living room. It gives the space more texture especially since your couch is a solid color. The "brick" pattern would go better in the kitchen, though be careful with spills because you'll have to clean it regularly, may be a darker rug will be better for the kitchen and less hassle to tidy up?

As an artisan designer of oriental rugs I just have to say that if you're ready to invest in handmade 100 percent wool art rug you might find it will last longer and it's more enjoyable to collect (at least for me).

Here are some of my suggestions of oriental rugs that would add color and bit of statement to your space. The first is for the kitchen and the second for the living room.

Traditional Rugs by Hagerstown Carpet & Flooring Rugknots Oriental Rugs

Contemporary Rugs by Hagerstown Carpet & Flooring Rugknots Oriental Rugs
    dana moreau thanked RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • alicejean
    9 years ago
    What a find! I think either one would do nicely.
  • PRO
    Old New House
    9 years ago
    Affordable is important, but when it comes to rugs you should really be wary of anything too cheap. Out of all the items in a room, the rug is the most manageable to keep clean and in proper condition for many years of use. It should therefore be one of the larger investments you make in decorating each room of your home.
    dana moreau thanked Old New House
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Hi---well, it seems as though you do have a preference-as it's the one you already have situated under the sectional... Perfect for your space! If you want---the kitchen ceiling would look amazing painted a soft blue/green hue from the rug... Hope this is helpful. CheerS!

[houzz=
    Nantucket-Inspired Remodel and Furnish · More Info
    ]
    dana moreau thanked Natalie
  • grobby
    9 years ago
    Definitely the geometric. Has beautiful colors and gives the impression of stone.
    dana moreau thanked grobby
  • rredpenn
    9 years ago
    Very pretty geometric! I vote that one too! This dilemma was solved before it started--haha!
    dana moreau thanked rredpenn
  • rredpenn
    9 years ago
    The other rug might be cool in a boys' bedroom? Keep them both! :)
    dana moreau thanked rredpenn
  • dana moreau
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I should note, both are 100% wool and were found on super clearance at a last chance sale at retailers outlet store. The first currently retails online for about 4x what I paid. I've seen some absolutely gorgeous wool rugs in the plus $2k range but my investments at this point in life are in "children's futures" aka college:-).
    Unfortunately, final clearance means no returns so I've committed to a Tim Gunn "make it work" effort! Thnx again all!
  • Craig CraigMDesigns
    9 years ago
    Love the mosaic one for the couch. Would the other work in a dining space? I love getting a deal like that, my living room 8x10 was $15 !
    dana moreau thanked Craig CraigMDesigns
  • User
    9 years ago
    As a passionate rug buyer, I understand your issue with not wanting to spend big $$,
    but honestly, neither of those rugs are attractive. Sorry. The brick one especially.. ugh
  • dawnbc1
    9 years ago
    If it HAS to be one of those 2, then the geometric.
    dana moreau thanked dawnbc1
  • dana moreau
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The brick one is subtler than the picture implies. However, given the price it shld be well suited for the basement. Perhaps under a Foosball table!
  • vbnet
    9 years ago
    I like the geometric.
    dana moreau thanked vbnet
  • User
    9 years ago
    Then the geometric it is! Great idea to use the 'brick' pattern in a more playful space.....
    dana moreau thanked User
  • dana moreau
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thnx rudyelliegrace. Unfortunately your first comment touched on what I kind of thought to begin with. Don't truly love the geometric one either. So may be back to square one on living room. Was hoping to find a rug that had some color, preferably med/deep green but not easy to find on a budget. Ah well.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I hear you about the budget thing. I have found that changing out rugs gives me the biggest bang for my budget bucks. Rather than buy high quality rugs that I will be stuck with for many years, I look for nice, inexpensive ones to change out with the season. They never go to waste, I just use them outside on the patio for a party, over top of wall to wall carpet in the bedrooms etc. Then, when I want to get more, they are always a big seller at a yard sale, and very welcome to those less fortunate at a re-sale shop!
    So live with the one you have in the living room for now and keep your eyes open for another that truly speaks to you!
    dana moreau thanked User
  • PRO
    IVORY FINE RUGS
    9 years ago

we can make imtiyazansari@rediffmail.com

• Nancy Walton
    9 years ago

Have the darker mosaic rug for the winter months, and change it out to the basketweave lighter onefor the summer months. Easy peasy!