Software
Houzz Logo Print
dpaglia

what kind of wood is used for the floor and what is the finish?

14 years ago
We are trying to create a whitewashed or pickled look and this is similar it appears
J. Hirsch Interior Design Portfolio · More Info

Comments (6)

  • 14 years ago
    We just put in a vinyl plank flooring like this by Mannington - everyone thinks it's real wood! we love it
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Janie-
    Would it be possible to do this gesso finish on a wood paneled formal living room - on the walls? I am afraid of "pickling" the walls, but do want to make them more of a driftwood gray, keeping the look of wood but lightening everything up and freshening the space. Would you please advise how to replicate this on walls, or if you think this is possible? And what is the difference in using gesso for a wall application and say, regular light gray mixed with water paint? Is there something special about the gesso formulation over wood compared to paint? Thank you for any info you can provide!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I can't see why you can't apply this finish on wood paneled walls. You would just have to apply it with something other than a mop. Pickling the walls will give them a pink tone, so I would stay away from that if you are wanting a gray tone. I suppose that you could try a watered down paint, but I have no idea how that would work as we did not try that avenue. They are very different products, but a faux finisher might be able to tell you how they would work differently. You might also be able to find a gray stain or a gray solid stain that is often used on exterior shake shingles. I would suggest purchasing some wood that is the same as the paneling and test some different options and see what you like best. Good luck!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I can't see why you can't apply this finish on wood paneled walls. You would just have to apply it with something other than a mop. Pickling the walls will give them a pink tone, so I would stay away from that if you are wanting a gray tone. I suppose that you could try a watered down paint, but I have no idea how that would work as we did not try that avenue. They are very different products, but a faux finisher might be able to tell you how they would work differently. You might also be able to find a gray stain or a gray solid stain that is often used on exterior shake shingles. I would suggest purchasing some wood that is the same as the paneling and test some different options and see what you like best. Good luck!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Thank you so much!