Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devanedesign

Dated oak to contemporary "Wow"!

Devane Design
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Besides being in the need of obvious updating, this kitchen was not living to its potential. The key was removing the peninsula that previously cut off the active kitchen space from the eat-in area. Instead, we integrated an island that spanned from the middle of the kitchen into the alcove, where we integrated the dinette with a built-in banquette, at the end of the island. The result brought us a much larger work area and a more fluent work space. We also had room to incorporate a desk space instead of replacing the top heavy pantry that was on the left. The look is more contemporary and functional and it almost doubled our cabinetry and countertop area.

Comments (96)

• JoAna M.
    9 years ago
    Beautiful! What a transformation.
    Devane Design thanked JoAna M.
  • jimb28
    9 years ago
    Awesome!!! Very rich,classy!! Great job. Such warmth. And I agree that picture is beautiful.
  • jimb28
    9 years ago
    And this is the first time I posted a comment. Great job.
    Devane Design thanked jimb28
  • PRO
    Devane Design
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well, I am glad that it made such an impression on you jimb28. I feel honored! Thank you-
  • Austin
    9 years ago
    I would really like to see lots more pictures and details about the entire process!
    Devane Design thanked Austin
  • kareninstlouis
    9 years ago
    Elegant and rich-looking. The white island proves a nice contrast to the dark perimeter and keeps it bright. The view out the window looks like artwork!! This is outstanding.
    Devane Design thanked kareninstlouis
  • mslillee1
    9 years ago
    WOW! What a great improvement!
    Devane Design thanked mslillee1
  • mnester17
    9 years ago
    Definitely a wow! I never could have envisioned such a change. What a gorgeous kitchen
    Devane Design thanked mnester17
  • jeanemery
    9 years ago
    I love the warm colors. It's very elegant. I'm so tired of sterile, hospital white kitchens!!!!!
    Devane Design thanked jeanemery
  • Sue Moncrief
    9 years ago
    Really love the lighting choices, they add a lot to a cohesive look. Nice job.
    Devane Design thanked Sue Moncrief
  • carley14
    9 years ago
    Stunning. Have a completely different layout, but, the dark wood with the bright island makes the area so appealing. I just got some great ideas for my remodel
    Devane Design thanked carley14
  • PRO
    Lewis Design-Build-Remodel
    9 years ago
    Looks really great. It the rest of the house updated ? If not I'm sure it will need to be in order to transition smoothly from room to room. Congratulations!!!
    Devane Design thanked Lewis Design-Build-Remodel
  • picabo1952
    9 years ago
    Great job what color are the dark cabinets
    Devane Design thanked picabo1952
  • prelude6
    9 years ago
    Awesome kitchen!
    Devane Design thanked prelude6
    9 years ago
    one of a few transitions I really like
    Devane Design thanked 06181946
  • wenlee1612
    9 years ago
    What was the cost? It's beautiful!
    Devane Design thanked wenlee1612
  • Tammie Ellerbee
    9 years ago
    Is it the same doors?
  • Dixie Henrie
    9 years ago
    Wow. The transformation is inconceivable, except that you conceived it. The owners must be so happy.
    Devane Design thanked Dixie Henrie
  • rikerwoman
    9 years ago
    Wow, trying to convince hubby to redo ours xxxxx
    Devane Design thanked rikerwoman
  • Sharon Nemeth
    9 years ago
    Great job! While I love the look of the natural ledge stone, putting it behind the range is probably not the best idea. Cleaning grease from cooking will be a real pain.
    Devane Design thanked Sharon Nemeth
  • peoplerpeople
    9 years ago
    The best I've seen on here in a long, long time. Very nice work!
    Devane Design thanked peoplerpeople
  • Sallie Cabrera
    9 years ago
    jaw-dropping! congratulations!
    Devane Design thanked Sallie Cabrera
  • Jennifer Woiccak
    9 years ago
    The beautiful picture window over the sink seems like another piece of art. I love the entire kitchen, I can not recognize the original in the after photos.
    Devane Design thanked Jennifer Woiccak
  • elliyates
    9 years ago
    There are very few kitchens that make me say, "Wow". This one is "WOW"!! What an awesome transformation with such a beautiful result. And being kind of a lone voice in the wilderness--I don't care for white kitchens--I'm doubly impressed! So well done. I'm repeating myself, which says something about how well I like it!
    PS: I rarely post in discussions either.
    Devane Design thanked elliyates
  • PRO
    Devane Design
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Sharon Nemeth, the ledgestone is completely sealed and regular to be cleaned like natural stone. Tammie Ellerbee, the doors are all new. Picabo 1952, I custom mixed the stain color. Jared Lewis Construction: We did also remodel the rest of the main level in conjunction with the kitchen.
  • Cheryl Lunetta
    9 years ago
    Absolutely stunning..........these are my color choices for my kitchen when it finally gets transformed. So glad not to see WHITE!
    Devane Design thanked Cheryl Lunetta
  • Jenn Van Massenhoven
    9 years ago
    Gorgeous! And I am pleased to see a kitchen that isn't blindingly white. This is beautiful.
    Devane Design thanked Jenn Van Massenhoven
  • vjhyatt
    9 years ago
    Amazing transformation
    Devane Design thanked vjhyatt
  • Whatknot
    9 years ago
    Great job! Looks wonderful.
    Devane Design thanked Whatknot
  • Sheila Craswell
    9 years ago
    It is beautiful ..... would love to have a kitchen like this one ..... wow
    Devane Design thanked Sheila Craswell
  • jillybeansisme
    9 years ago
    @Bajachim I needed to cut costs and found fabulous solid maple (could have chosen solid cherry) cabinets with roll out trays, Blum hardware, dove-tail joints, etc. through KitchenResourcesDirect.com. I spent less than $12,000 on what was quoted as over $30,000 for my house by a custom cabinet maker.

I am amazed at how the banquet was incorporated into your island. It is just gorgeous! Thanks for the birds-eye view! Wow!
  • Katie Miodonski
    9 years ago
    $65 to $85K....for a KITCHEN......I live outside Buffalo, NY (the 3rd largest city in NY) where the average price of an entire HOUSE is $190K (4 bed, 2.5 bath Colonials with central air built in the 70's)
  • PRO
    Devane Design
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes Katie, it is all relevant to the home's value and the region that you live in. The "average" kitchen remodel in the Twin Cities area is $63K plus for a mid-range home. This home was above that and the project was more inclusive. The Cost vs. Value report is a good reference for any homeowners looking to research this information in more detail: https://s3.amazonaws.com/HW_Assets/CVV_Assets/2014/Professional/minneapolismn.pdf
  • PRO
    S.J. Janis Company, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Nice Work!
    Devane Design thanked S.J. Janis Company, Inc.
  • Mary
    9 years ago
    Katie Miodonski, 1973, we built a house for $38 k and 11k for the land, the empty lot next store to us someone has built this year 2014, a house the same sq footage and same size lot, $530,000! Do you think they over paid for the suburb south of Boston, Ma?
  • ravensmom13
    9 years ago
    moggiesmom.....we have an over-sized ranch...3 BR, 1 BA on main floor and inlaw apt. w/ 3/4 bath downstairs ( daylight basement )...plus 2 car garage, 15 x 24 carport, 15 x 15 sunroom, 10 x 15 "utility" shed, deck, etc. etc....on 1 acre of land in "upscale" development of Augusta, ME convenient to EVERYTHING.....$175,000............move this whole shebang down to Lynnfield, MA ( suburb North of Boston ) and exact same would run $600,000 to $750,000....I know, because hubby's parents lived in Lynnfield ( and we in Saugus ).....it's a matter of "majority rules"....majority of Maine is "depressed" economically, and would be a state of "ghost towns" if prices were as high as in MA....there's very little employment, lots of low-paying jobs, except for health care industry....hold a yard sale and try to sell an item ( that retails for $20 ) at half price of $10 and they want it for $3...seriously.
  • Mary
    9 years ago
    AnAita Nazeri, there is no question, but the Moral is "If you can afford the expensive things in life, buy what you want, if you can't afford the BEST, buy what you feel comfortable purchasing" Want and need are two different things, and to each his own.
  • mesmaro01
    9 years ago
    Nice
    Devane Design thanked mesmaro01
  • n247080
    9 years ago
    I am beyond impressed. WOW!
    Devane Design thanked n247080
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    Amazing, job well done!
    Devane Design thanked SoCal Contractor
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    I cannot add anything more than all the praise already mentioned!
    Didn't have time to read it all, but... that painting is divine!!!
    Devane Design thanked bungalowmo
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    So nice!!
    Devane Design thanked LB Interiors
  • shadowsgathered
    9 years ago
    Shazam!
  • schnoot
    9 years ago

me like a lot!!! very beautiful & cozy looking

Devane Design thanked schnoot
  • kmcoutu
    9 years ago
    Very nice design. Could you share overall dimensions of the room, particularly the width? Thank you.
  • PRO
    Devane Design
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The room measures 13'6" x 22'6".

• mslillee1
    9 years ago

Beautiful remodel!!!

Devane Design thanked mslillee1
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    9 years ago

Is this the same room? Simply amazing, congrats !

• PRO
    Devane Design
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is absolutely the same room, just a slightly different angle. We actually didn't move any walls either, just took advantage of the full length of the room, which was previously divided by the peninsula.

• PRO
    Talianko Design Group, LLC
    8 years ago

Unbelievable Devane, really good job!

Devane Design thanked Talianko Design Group, LLC