Software
Houzz Logo Print
ng999

My LR is missing something...

11 years ago
Happy holidays!

I used a lot of your great advice and made changes to my LR (rearranged furniture, brighter throw pillow, new dining light fixture, etc), but something is still missing. Any new suggestions for what I can do to achieve the "modern rustic" look I'm after and really tie it together? I tried many different curtains and actually like it better curtain free. I also don't have the budget for a new rug.

To give you an idea of my taste (even though my LR may not depict this!), I love the clean modern lines of Crate & Barrel, but the warmth of West Elm.

Should I pain the mirror frames (back left in the images)? If so, what color?

What do you think of either of these coffee tables?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VAHVRY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1TPMSMRIES52D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XEV1G2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Looking forward to your suggestions! Thank you!

Comments (20)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I agree with above⬆️ comment and maybe some art over the sofa? Good luck! :) Have a great new year. :)
    ng999 thanked zazfuzzroc
  • 11 years ago
    I know you said you don't like curtains, but have you tried..just a sheer fabric? Something light? Just a thought. :)
    ng999 thanked zazfuzzroc
  • 11 years ago
    HI -- Well , it is very nice now ... good selection of furniture and décor items but it is a shame you don't like drapes because that is what the room needs . Full drapes on each side of the window moving the items on that wall and filling that wall space from side to side and full length . Fabric in a white or off white and a semi-sheer or with a tone on tone suttle pattern . Then a big painting over the sofa . It would be better to move the one tub chair to the end of the sofa if that is a main entrance . As for the coffee tables , I prefer the lighter one that is more open . The other is not a design to last over time .
    ng999 thanked lefty47
  • 11 years ago
    I also think curtains would be a good idea. A contemporary pattern using white and the same grey as your sofa. I agree with moving one chair to the other side and with the use of the lighter coffee table but even with those changes I feel that the room is off balance. The shelving on the either side of the TV along with the console table itself do not match in weight to the sofa. And there seems to be to much going on with all the open shelving.
    ng999 thanked Gina P
  • 11 years ago
    I agree that curtains would add a nice touch but understand about your not liking curtains. I don't particularly care for them either. The pic lends to curtains since there is a rod up there. If you frame the mirrors that would add a little contrast and make curtains less necessary.

    Additionally you could place some of your books in decorative boxes on the shelves. That would add a pop that people are looking for with the curtains and also make the right side more balanced since you have a lot of books you want to store.
    ng999 thanked thollowa
  • 11 years ago
    I think you really need drapery panels, especially for contrast with the white chairs. One reason you may not have liked drapes was the size of the curtain rod. Because it is short on that window, the panels, even when open, would narrow the window. If you use a wider rod, and allow the panels to be stacked mostly on the wall and just a bit of window when opened, it will look more balanced. Widening the drapes might require moving the small console table to another spot.
    ng999 thanked mick50
  • 11 years ago
    Oh yes !.....the room needs drapes ! I agree I would add drapes, they finish the look and add softness to the room, and a large painting above your sofa. It will make your space feel larger
    ng999 thanked Susan Miller
  • 11 years ago
    Angle the rug and sofa. Put art on walls. Get a coffee table
    ng999 thanked stpierrl
  • 11 years ago
    Modern rustic, eh? Where's the rustic? The most rustic thing I see is the coffee table. Burlap curtains would add a bit of rusticity. I would remove the painting above the TV, remove the mirrors entirely and get a taller plant, and keep the current coffee table. It's better than either of those on Amazon.com.

    You've done a nice job on the room. It really does need curtains, though.
    ng999 thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    The second heavier coffee table might have more "weight" in that room. The rodiron is not right. The 2 white chairs look okay at one end, but another chair in a different color - melon? gray/white pattern? -- would balance the overall room. With only the 1 floor lamp, this room will be dark at night, so a small table and table lamp at this end of the sofa would help.

    You'll have to make a decision about the windows: either put in good Roman shades, shutters, or good blinds and take down the curtain rods OR put up some curtains. Don't skimp - cheap curtains look cheap. (I got all my bedroom draperies at Goodwill for $5@ and my LR draperies for $50, so cost is not necessarily a factor!) They don't have to be custom-made to look good. Sheers would be fine if you don't have a privacy issue. A Shantung silk (real silk is expensive and faux looks just as good if the curtains are quality). This room requires something elegant but not fussy. YOu don't want your grandmother's curtains. Possibly pale gray with a darker gray band across the top?

    Rooms that you really enjoy, that have your stamp on them, take time, so if it takes a year to find curtains, art or anything else, that's okay. It will always be a "work in progress" as you live in the room. You've made terrific choices so far. Trust your taste.
    ng999 thanked inkwitch
  • 11 years ago
    Den · More Info
    ng999 thanked inkwitch
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Pelham Renovation · More Info


    gray curtains
    ng999 thanked inkwitch
  • 11 years ago
    Euro Pleated Drapery Panels · More Info
    ng999 thanked inkwitch
  • 11 years ago
    Your living room is lovely! I would leave the mirror frames as-is, don't paint them! The room is lacking warmth--adding different textiles would help. I would start by moving one of the white chairs to the opposite side of the couch for symmetry/balance. A full set of curtains would be too heavy in this room, so maybe a swag in contrasting color (maybe red, orange, or eggplant) for the curtain rod and some throw pillows in a similar color onto each white chair. Finish by adding a cream colored throw blanket on the back of the couch.

    The wall that your television is on also seems a little cluttered. Are you able to mount the tv to the wall? If so, I would move the painting to where the mirrors currently are, mount the television in its place, and hang the mirrors behind the couch.
    ng999 thanked kerrytony
  • 11 years ago
    I'm also trying to achieve the modern-rustic look. Perhaps try building this console, here are the measurements you need. I think changing the console would help a bit.
    ng999 thanked Bri Kramer
  • 11 years ago
    Art above couch add. I agree to chairs on each side of couch.
    ng999 thanked happyleg
  • 11 years ago
    Add 1 or 2 pillows other side o f couch.
    ng999 thanked happyleg
  • 11 years ago
    Looking good, think you need a chunkier coffee table, like sideboard bigger, behind white chairs, some big art above couch or big rustic clock, not sure about shelves either side of TV may look a bit busy
    ng999 thanked Irene Morresey
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    You desperately need curtains that's why the room doesn't look done. A grey and creme graphic zig-zag print would be nice. Otherwise plan on getting white plantation shutters.
    ng999 thanked Gray & Walter, Ltd.