Software
Houzz Logo Print
ssriniva

How to dress seamless bay window in kitchen?

14 years ago
can you help me with some ideas of how to dress a seamless (no space between the panes of glasses) bay window in the kitchen/breakfast area? I want to have the ability to have full privacy and light blockage. Please advice as I have to make a decision right away. thanks!

Comments (10)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I assume there is some wall space above the window prior to the ceiling. If you have enough space you can do drapes on a rod with elbow jointed corners, which allow you maximum privacy. Such as woven wood shades, solar shades, wood blinds, etc. You can also hang many different types of shades from above the window. Can you post a picture of the interior of the window?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi - there are some products that you can get multiple shades on a single headrail to minimize gaps, but there's always at least a 1/4" gap between the shades for clearance in order to operate the shade. This would have to be done as 3 shades so you would definitely have 1/4" gaps between them at the minimum. This can be done with products from Graber or Hunter Douglas. Look on their websites for dealers local to your area - most will do a free estimate.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks, Mona. I was afraid I would hear this. I was hoping for some kind of covering that had complete coverage when closed. The dealer is suggesting roman shades, do you have any thoughts on that? I cannot find much online on how to cover a seamless glass bay window. Any leads are appreciated! :)
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Roman shades sare lovely and provide privacy - but because they are typically fully lined you have 2 options - open or closed. You will still have the 1/4" gaps, and personally I do not know of roman shades that can come multiple shades on one single headrail for a bay window. This means your gaps may be slightly larger than 1/4". Ask your dealer if the shades can be mounted on a single headrail.

    I would suggest wood blinds which are very flexible as they allow you to completely close them for privacy, tilt them open for semi-private, or open them completely for a clearer view. Roman shades are elegant looking and provide softness to your decor, and are often the right choice. If I knew what the inside of your home looked like I could make a better suggestion. Another option is a woven wood shade which is lined or unlined. Very beautiful and fashion forward.
  • 14 years ago
    HI -- I think Hunter Douglas has a blind that pulls sideways , check with them , e-mail them a picture and tell them what you would like. I hope they can help you.Looks like there are valances and drapes there now. That might be the only way you can go.
  • 14 years ago
    Let me throw out.......is it possible to do something to shade from the outside?
  • 14 years ago
    Sounds like you want tambour blinds that pull from both sides to the center on a track. It looks like you have some kind of structure outside already. Can you add shading to that? Maybe a pergola with draped fabric would be nice.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    What you are looking for does NOT exist. You can do a custom bent rod for sheers or drapes. But I never hear of "curved blinds" or angled blinds. Another suggestion would be Plantation shutters. You won't have gaps, but will lose some light. Let me know if you need more info.
  • 14 years ago
    Too bad you can't put on a film like glasses that turn dark in sunlight.