Software
Houzz Logo Print
kmcdougle

Need help with my kitchen

11 years ago
We don't have a lot of money to do a complete remodel, but I want to update my ugly kitchen. First, I am going to take off the wall paper. At first I wanted to repaint the kitchen cabinets either black (or dark, dark brown) or white. My family talked me out of it. I know it's a big job and I don't want to ruin my cabinets. We could pay to have them repainted at some point maybe, but only if it would look really great.l I'm worried because I don't know if the actual style of the cabinets is too dated (like how they are arched at the top). I am thinking I want to replace the handles on all the cabinets, but I'm not sure if I should bother to do the hinges now or wait to see if we paint. The last concern is my counter top. I don't know if it will look good to do a backsplash over it since it goes up a little on the sides. If it won't look good, I don't want to spend the money and put in the effort. We will most likely be moving in 3 years, so I only want to freshen it up. I don't want to lose money on it when we move. Paint color ideas for walls? Cabinets- paint white or dark or just leave natural? Any other ideas? BTW I hate our floors, but that's not in the budget right now. We are thinking we will redo them at some point and make it travertine like big beige tiles that look like stone.

Comments (16)

  • 11 years ago
    One more thing I forgot to mention- I tend to like cooler colors- grays, whites, turquoise, blues. I don't know if there is any way to get those colors with these cabinets though.
  • 11 years ago
    Yes staining the cabinets a darker color will help!
  • 11 years ago
    Consider getting new countertop?
  • 11 years ago
    Paint colors for the wall I would do a cream white color with dark cabinets
  • 11 years ago
    And also about new tile on the floor?
  • 11 years ago
    If you can swing staining or painting the cabinets dark ( or in the whites) but it's not cheap to have done professionally and it's not easy to DYI.

    New laminate counter top ( flat to the wall) is a great inexpensive update, new sink & faucet. Tile from the counter to cabinets & up around the window would look great!

    Change out the hardware - great bang for the buck.

    LVT floor tiles with grout are an inexpensive update that is fairly easy DYI is your are handy.
  • 11 years ago
    I see the odd cabinet hanging over the peninsula. Can you take this down and remount it flat on the sink wall? Or take it down and replace with a new one or floating shelves. It'll take a little work but a much updated look.
  • 11 years ago
    your counters are in good shape. leave them. easiest thing would be to have the cabinets painted. I would do ebony, between black and darkest brown. with your floor white would look bad. paint the walls in a grey, I would recommend wish from BM, very light and clean. leave the white backsplash. paint the rest. new hardware on the doors.

    [houzz=
    Transitional Kitchen · More Info
    ][houzz=
    San Francisco Whole House Remodel · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    KitchenDesigns.com - Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly - Rockville Center, NY CA1302 · More Info
    ]
  • 11 years ago
    We could definitely take the cabinet down over the peninsula. We were thinking about doing that and hanging pendant lights over instead. Do you think paint would look okay, I'm worried that with stain the grain would still be visible, and I don't think I would like that. The little piece that goes around the top of the counter is a separate piece. Do you think we could get it off or would that destroy the part of the counter where it is attached?
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you sacapuntas... I like that...
  • 11 years ago
    Love your window over the sink! If you plan to sell in 3 years, let the new owner select cabinets. Spend your time and money updating the other finishes:
    - Replace the counter if it is not in good condition
    - Use white or off white subway tile if you put in a backsplash
    - Replace sink and faucet if they are not in good condition.
    - Once your hard finishes are in, paint walls a gray (or other current color) that will complement the hard finishes. (See maria killam.com to learn about color selection)
    - Replace cabinet hardware, brushed nickel If your sink and faucet are stainless and walls are gray. Look into replacing hinges with hidden ones
    - purchase new mat, towels, accessories
    kmcdougle thanked sootsprite
  • 11 years ago
    I actually like the cabinet with the lights. do not spend your money on new counter, it is just fine and clean looking. if the grain shows in dark stain, paint them in a darker greishing, like taupe. do not remove the peninsula if you are planning to move, it will never look good with the counters. without the paper on the walls it will look 200% better.
    kmcdougle thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • 11 years ago
    The arch design is not too dated.

    If you take the cabinets over the peninsula down, practice staining on them. Staining will be easier than painting. Go dark; it's ok if the grain shows. Your counter might look good with dark cabs and you can add a patterned backsplash.
    kmcdougle thanked emilyam819
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Staining will be harder than painting. Use the Rustoleum cabinet refinishing product; many Houzzers have used it with success. Use white rather than black for best resale value. Your current oak cabs are not valued in today's real estate market, due to the changes in kitchen fashion over the last 10-15 years. It is a shame, because these cabinets were considered excellent 20 years ago, and look in very good condition.
    kmcdougle thanked sstarr93
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    sstarr, the floors are beige, with white cabinets they will look dirty. with dark cabinets they will look fine.
    the cabinets look to be in great condition and so is the counter. no need to spend money, kmcdougle already stated she/he does not have the budget for a big redo.
    kmcdougle thanked sacapuntaslapioz