Software
Houzz Logo Print
jamaikamon

My tiny bathroom

11 years ago
We recently gutted the bathroom in our small 100 yr old bungalow. As you can imagine in an old house the bathroom is very small (6.5 x 5). And its our only bathroom...for now anyway. We exposed a brick wall from the vent stack and I want to keep it, however, I already purchased my vanity and flooring in the color ebony. I'm not worried about those matching because it looks really good, but what color paint and accents would you recommend in such a small space? I can't afford a designer so I'm asking for your help! Help!

Comments (14)

  • 11 years ago
    I would go with a medium gray that would let both the warmth of the brick and the dark additions stand out. (No idea where that leaves you for shower tile, or whether you have an enclosure you're keeping, but a coordinating gray could be really nice.)
    Susan thanked acm
  • 11 years ago
    I was kinda thinking about gray! I was a wee bit concerned about the tininess (its like 6' x 5.5') and too much color but I have been hearing that's old school. Do what you like is the in thing to do. What do you think? The tub is white, should that be a concern with the gray? We are going with onyx for the enclosure. Have not ordered it yet so open for ideas. Thanks for your input!!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Keep it light! A light gray would be pretty, or even a crisp white to really freshen the space since it looks like their is minimal if any natural light. Add in vibrant accent colors through a beautiful painting on the wall adjacent from the vanity if the wall their allows it. Painting the space a gray or white, with ebony cabinetry is so neutral that you can get away with doing almost any accent color! Good luck!
    Susan thanked Robert Sidenberg Inc.
  • 11 years ago
    I wouldn't want black vanity, floor, and shower in a small space -- it's going to end up feeling like a cave even if you use a light paint, because that shower is going to dominate. I'd pick a medium gray, darker than the walls but lighter than the floor, and maybe you can put an accent band around it that has light and dark elements too. or something from the brick.

    Bliss Random Strip Glass and Stone Mosaic Tiles, Midnight, 10 sq. ft. · More Info

    Dal Mare Tuxedo Stone, Glass, and Shell Mosaic Tiles, 10 Square Feet · More Info

    Stone Glass Mosaic Tile Backsplash Mosaic Tile Bathroom Wall Tile, 1 Square Foot · More Info

    12"x12" Porcelain Mosaic Backsplash Bathroom Tile, Single Sheet · More Info

    Bliss Random Strip Glass and Stone Mosaic Tiles, Cappuccino, 10 sq. ft. · More Info

    11"x11.75" Arcadia Karri Random Brick Glass and Stone Tile · More Info

    Bliss Cabernet Stone and Glass Linear Mosaic Tile, 4" X 6" Sample · More Info

    Bliss Cappuccino Stone and Glass Square Mosaic Tiles, 10 Square Feet · More Info

    Bliss Cabernet 5/8x5/8 Stone and Glass Mosaic Tiles, 10 Square Feet · More Info

    Glass and Stone Mosaics Combined · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    There is a window.......right in the middle of the shower/bath enclosure. So very minimal light is right! We are in talks of what to do with it. I think we will cut the size in half so that my neighbors can't see me showering when I open the window (which is seldom but on cool nights i'd like the option). What were they thinking in the 1920's when they thought it a good idea to put a window right smack dab where the tub is? Wasn't designed for a shower and it was only 8 years ago when I inherited the home that my husband put a shower upstairs! This is my childhood home and when I grew up we only had a shower in the dank, scary basement...with no enclosure! Thanks dad!
    My husband is a contractor and he is really set on this onyx. He uses it alot in the swank homes he works in around these parts (St. Louis) We do not live in a swank home though. I wanted tile. He says that tile is losing its appeal to this onyx product. Any thoughts on that subject?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would wait until you have installed the onyx and select the color then, as it may become quite obvious what would suit. You should also bring home sample paint pots of say grey, beige, white, etc. and test them before you decide.
  • 11 years ago
    And I love the exposed brick! Wait on the onyx to paint. Then post more pictures! I want to see it done.

    I also live in a 1920s house, and they tucked the bathroom with shower under the stairs! We call it our Harry Potter bathroom. Good thing the toilet is under the actual stairs, since the sloping ceiling is pretty low there!
  • 11 years ago
    I actually think that your little bathroom has lots of style! Love your sink and vanity.

    I would go with the mirror below but I would have some White accents to go along with your sink. As far as the color paint, I would go with a soft Seafoam color, and I am providing a few pictures. You could even paint your bathroom with an accent wall, or two walls white, two walls with seafoam.

    Work some pebble tile into the floor and even as a 2" or 3" border around the room, which will make it look more spacious.

    I would go with some nice large tile around your tub too.

    I am old school but a nice curtain type shower curtain really does make a statement!

    Bathroom · More Info


    Benjamin Moore "Ocean Air"
    A Soothing Suite · More Info

    Modern Bathroom · More Info

    Zen Paradise · More Info

    bw design group · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    We exposed the brick in our upstairs bathroom as well and LOVE it paired with a medium gray. We have white trim and slate looking flooring.
  • 11 years ago
    Keep the brick as the focal point. It's amazing! White will highlight the brick much more. Black will compete with it and make your room very dark. Ex. See how much bigger this white bathroom appears:
    Franklin Street Loft - Bathroom · More Info

    Wren Cottage · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Wanted to mention that if you are going with glass tile, I think the best one you posted is this one...

    Bliss Cabernet Stone and Glass Linear Mosaic Tile, 4" X 6" Sample · More Info


    It will compliment the bricks, and brings in white to brighten up the room and grey if you want to go with that color in the rest of your bathroom.
  • 11 years ago
    those pics were right side facing when I downloaded :( I guess y'all get the jist. With the room being so small we were thinking of leaving the lathe exposed as recessed shelving. yes or no?
  • 11 years ago
    wait, onyx is a product, not a color? totally mystified here...