Software
Houzz Logo Print
mcjin1

Need ideas for converting basement garage and backyard

14 years ago
My garage is basement level at the back of the house. The driveway starts slopes down at the side of the house, makes a turn, and then slopes further to the garage. Much of the driveway is below the yard. There's a drain in front of the garage but it by no means is sufficient for moving water during a thunderstorm, so I'm faced with a serious drainage problem whenever a thunderstorm lasting more than half-an-hour passes through.

I can live without the garages (access is already limited because of the turn in the driveway), and I've been told one easy answer is to block the garage doors and fill the driveway to the same level as the backyard. However, if at all possible, I would like to turn the garage space into livable space, and maintain access to the garage space from the outside. Any ideas on what I can do with the space and solve the drainage problem at the same time would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)

  • 14 years ago
    I have a similar issue with my Spanish Mission Revival. Previous owners removed the garage door and added green board and glass doors but did nothing to remove the driveway, or
    drain which enters the house to indoor sump pump. I have retaining walls on either side as it seems you do. I wish I had an answer for you, but I have yet to find others who have solved this problem.

    Houzz, can you help?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Hi mcjin1, is the structure on the left of the photo part of your home ? if so I would suggest a landscape overhaul and have a plan of attack with properly designed retaining walls vs outdoor spaces.

    Custom Renovation · More Info
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Yes, this is a better view, thanks Mary.
  • 14 years ago
    Hi David,

    The structure on the left side of the picture is a retaining wall. To the left of the wall are stairs leading from the yard down to the entrance to the basement. There's also a similar wall to the right of the garage that you can somewhat see, with an overgrown bush hanging over it.

    Another idea was to build a deck at the same level as the bricks, so as to provide "protection" over the driveway and a drain path away from the house. Any thoughts on which approach may work best? Long-term this will be two family rental building, so I'm looking for both usability as well as easy of maintenance.

    Thanks!

    Cheers,
    Marc
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Mary, did you ever get any good answer to this? I have an underground garage with a sloping driveway and am deciding what to change or not change in a remodel. I will be putting in a custom door but other than that, I haven’t decided what other changes to make to the driveway. I live in a very rainy climate and the drain at the bottom of this driveway gets lots of rain.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Sorry - Marv not Mary! I’m not sure how to edit my comment. Marv was my dad’s name and my great uncle as well!

  • 4 years ago

    Hi Leslie. Is this a drainage,water or other problem for you? It looks like, from your photo, you are not using the garage for parking as you have things in front of it.
    Have you ever considered filling it in?
    I have the same thing and it has numerous problems for me. I have a permit and a contractor to have the garage door removed, pour footing, block off garage and fill in driveway. Now I’m having second thoughts and other contractors have said they would not do that.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    @annestariha42: There is a drain at the bottom of this driveway. Not any water issues except occasionally in hard rains. I do not use the garage for parking, it is for storage and projects. No, I would not EVER fill this, as I plan to make this the main entry to my basement. I have a full daylight basement next to the garage and plan to convert it to an apartment for rental.