Software
Houzz Logo Print
whisperingeye

Anyone else planted 'Fleur de Lawn' before?

17 years ago

My daughter studying horticulture told us about Fleur de Lawn. Its supposed to be a low maintenance lawn alternative. We are excited to plant some of it in our backyard this spring. Has anyone else used it?

Comments (4)

  • 17 years ago

    I'm usually suspicious of people who sign up and post with a question shortly after signing up since that's often a sign of a shill, but since you didn't provide a link, I'm more inclined to think your post may be legitimate.

    I think the Fleur de Lawn mixture would do well with little work in your area. It would probably fail miserably where I live.

    Be aware that if you plant this, you'll have a very different lawn from your neighbors and you'll never be able to use a weed and feed type product again. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm working on a lawn that is a mixture of native grasses and clover, so I'm not going for the traditional lawn, but you need to realize that your lawn will be different if you go this route.

  • 17 years ago

    Oregon, I'm sure your daughter wishes to pass on some insight into what she is studying and lets you in on a type of grass that isn't grass but is very low maintenance type of groundcover.
    But before you take her thoughts on the matter to heart too soon, do some research of your own; find out about the make-up of this special lawn.
    Containing clover, dwarf perennial ryegrass and other perennials of short size....namely English Daisy, and achillea, it does suggest your lawn problems are over.

    But do consider what exactly each of the additions does for your ground. Clover's been around for hundreds of years...and it can make for a great lawn area if you need something that will overcome obstacles that ordinary grass cant. But clover aint grass, it will not grow properly in any shaded areas. So that lets out growing under trees or in the shade of shrubs. It fills in areas very quickly and takes over grass. It needs never to be fertilized, it takes the free nitrogen out of the air.

    Do consider carefully before you leap from something that is what everybody else is using, to something that might not live up to your's or your daughter's expectations.

  • 6 years ago

    I replaced my front lawn in Spokane, WA with Fleur de Lawn in 2015. I love it. It’s always green and pretty. I never fertilize and it’s drought tolerant. Over the years the white yarrow has over powered the cute little perennial blooms, but that’s ok with me. Because I live in an old neighborhood I keep it mown to about the same height as everyone else’s grass lawn. In the Spring I mow once/week. In the heat and dry conditions of summer I only mow every other week.

    My back yard is grass. It’s too shady for Fleur de Lawn or clover, so I have to mow back there twice as often.

  • 4 years ago

    As a Certified Horticulturalist may I clarify grass drought tolerance Generally, typical urban lawns are both drought tolerant and not When your ”lawn” goes brown in summer, all summer, then greens up again in late September that is an indication of true drought tolerance Dried up azaleas dont green up again in September as a comparison However, most grasses are not short-term drought tolerant including these so-called ”ecology lawns.” Ive witness clover ecology seed mixes fry before my very eyes over a hot Pacific Northwest summer So just forget the drought tolerant claims to ecology lawns….they will act like any other lawn! Having said that Fluer de Lawn (which is my personal favorite) will give you stunning English daisies although after several years ive found the clover and the yarrow fade Also selective dycotylon herbicides CAN be used on Fluer to rid dandelion just be very careful not to hit the prized daisies But sorry folks, you’ll still need to water.